U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM

8 posts, read 31,150 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I will be starting work in Newark next month and I am currently looking in elizabeth/north elizabeth for apartments. I would really appreciate it if you could comment about the safety, accessability, and "niceness" of these areas. My main concern is safety though, I'm moving with my wife and I would like for our commutes during the day and night to/fr the subway to be as safe as possible.

Two of the apartments I am looking at are in north elizabeth and are close to the intersection of pennsylvania ave and and fairmount ave. The commute to the train station from these places only seem to be a couple blocks.

In Elizabeth, the apartments I'm looking at are slightly more expensive. I'm looking at a couple on west jersey st near elmora, as well as another on elmora ave. The elmora ave place seems to be a bit too far from the train station.

I will be visiting these places soon, but any insights/suggestions would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM

79 posts, read 482,402 times
I lived in Elizabeth for about 6 yrs. I decided to move because Elizabeth was not a safe place to raise my daughter...I worked at a Dr's office that was on E.Jersey St. and that neighborhood is better than others. Elmora section is better than downtown Elizabeth. I would highly recommend to stay away from Jefferson St. or anything close to North Ave.
This town is not safe to walk at night...I know several friends who were robbed in their car, waiting for someone.
I lived on Florida St. by the pier...when I first moved there, it was pretty descent. No drug dealers, no car theft. But when I moved from there it was getting bad. They were young man selling at the corner of my street!
Now I live in South Jersey and it was the best decision I ever made..

I understand you may have to live there....just be very picky on what section you are planning to move to.

Let me know what streets...my cousin lives in Elizabeth on North Ave. so I do spent alot of time in Elizabeth...

Good luck-
Maria

Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM

really? I thought north ave would be a lilttle better, since a post I read mentioned that north elizabeth was a much better area. One apartment is at fairmount and newark ave intersection and the other is close by.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 PM

My cousin lives on North Ave. and her car was broken into twice. She lives in that area now for about 2yrs. Her daughter goes to the school down the street, and she said she doesn't really like the school.
Is Newark Ave by the McDonald's?
If so, I don't recommend it..

Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,965,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscm865 View Post
really? I thought north ave would be a lilttle better, since a post I read mentioned that north elizabeth was a much better area. One apartment is at fairmount and newark ave intersection and the other is close by.
don't belive all you see here, there are many rosy sounding posts from the urban pioneers who are trying to fool themselves into thinking they made a good choice and they are trying to drag others into the same pit they're in.
For a bit more money there are many better places than Etown to live

Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 PM

359 posts, read 2,520,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscm865 View Post
North Ave isnt in North Elizabeth. Its right by exit 13a(which is elizabeths exit) North Elizabeth is much better.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
North Ave isnt in North Elizabeth. Its right by exit 13a(which is elizabeths exit) North Elizabeth is much better.
According to my map, the north elizabeth train station is at the corner of newark ave and north ave so how is it not north elizabeth?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
To my knowledge 13A is North Elizabeth-that's why you end up on North Ave.
(I can be wrong)
If so, I still wouldn't recommend it....Elizabeth used to be nice, but not anymore..
If you have to live there, just be aware of your surroundings and get to know your neighbors, they might have some insights about where you should you park your cars, where you should shop, where not walk at night etc....
You'll be surprise to meet people that live in Elizabeth all there lives and they may know the INs and OUTs.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 AM

526 posts, read 1,982,939 times
Default Elmora is not "nice"

And please don't buy into this "Elmora is nice" myth.

Elmora isdowntown Elizabeth just with different buildings.

Most of the current residents are downtown transplants who moved there when prices dropped after the prevalent Jewish community ditched Elmora for greener pastures.

Elmora "Hills" is still nice. "Elmora" is getting trashier by the day.

Plus, it's a long walk to the Broad Street station, which is, BTW, much nastier than the North Elizabeth station.

If it has to be Elizabeth, save a couple bucks and live in North Elizabeth.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 AM

Thanks for your inputs. I was also looking at a place close by in roselle park on west westminster ave near the roselle park train station. How is this area? I will look up some more places there today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>