Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Either that or you guys are living in a different world than I am.

But honestly though, a lot of you guys seem to talk a lot about things that you obviously don't know about. . . .
angerinthenation, it would help us if you pointed to some specific issues rather than just broad generalizations.

I think some of the perspectives you've mentioned show the range of lifestyles here in NJ that differ in occupations, economics, environment, overall demographics, etc. This is a forum where we can agree to disagree and any one of us can question someone else's statements. Most people draw from personal experiences with things and if their experiences are good, mediocre, whatever -- than that's all they can really share. Can't blame people for not experiencing everything.

I will say that change is rapid . . . I grew up in this State and it was a different place 20 years ago than it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Angerinthenation, I've traveled a lot, and NJ Transit is one of the best systems that is out there. What are you comparing it to? What other suburban transit train lines have you experienced? I'm curious.

You do know that NJ is renowned for it's mass transit, right? Most states have little to no mass transit options.
So incredibly true.

Wanted to rep you for this, but I have to spread reps around first

Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times
im not exactly sure what angerinnation is trying to say, but from what i've heard nj transit is very good,and as far as schools and teachers go,i have 2 girls 20 and 12 and both in same school system. i do not feel my 12 year olds teachers challange and do enough for their pay. i have yet to see a project due,book reports,spelling tests, i have no idea what they are teaching in that school except the fact they put so much emphasis on bullying and other non sense. the work she brings home is not what i had when i was in school. i remember in reading having to look up 20 words in the dictionary and making a sentance out of them,doing a book report once a week,social studies was pretty much the same way. science was all hands on. I loved going to school my kids hate it. these teachers do not know how to make learning fun. my older daughter wants to be a teacher and i tell her why there is no money in it.she replies "i dont want to be a teacher for money,i want to teach the opposite of how i got tought". so she gives me hope for the future of the children in this country.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM

322 posts, read 546,977 times
My children attend Public school, and like many of you have stated, pay an large (compared to other states) amount of property taxes earmarked for my Municipalities school budget.

Let me first say that Gov. Christie is not the problem here, I may not like or agree with the man, but he inherited a NIGHTMARE with no real good fixes at his disposal. The real problem is the Municipal Government structure, particularly with as many smaller Twp's and Borough's throughout the State. If Gov. Christie came to my Borough, sat in on one of our Board of Ed meetings, then walked out of there and said "There is no way in HELL that I am giving those guys State funding.", I would not blame him in the slightest. The lovefest between the Town popular is sickening.

Now I am fortunate that we have great schools in my town, but that is despite the Administrators, not because of them. The success of our schools is 100% due to our Teachers. I have no trouble at all with Teachers earning a professional wage, but make it merit based. My daughter has always had a love of learning, BUT her love of school came from her Kindergarten Teacher who happened to be absolutely phenominal. I shudder to think of what the path may have looked like with a hack at the helm.

Now speaking of Hacks. We as an Electorate (generally speaking granted) unfortunately ignore local politics. Forget Federal, forget State, where the rubber really meets the road is on the Municipal level. Now ask yourself, when was the last time you went to a Council meeting, or a Board of Ed meeting? I challenge you to pull the minutes off of you Twp's website and see how much real negotiating for the greater good actually goes on, chances are unfortunately that it's a top to bottom "unanimous vote" on every measure.

I hate to say it guy's..but a lot of this "crisis" is our fault as the sleeping electorate.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Angerinthenation, I've traveled a lot, and NJ Transit is one of the best systems that is out there. What are you comparing it to? What other suburban transit train lines have you experienced? I'm curious.

You do know that NJ is renowned for it's mass transit, right? Most states have little to no mass transit options.
Same here...I've been taking NJ Transit for more than 30 years, most of that time on the train, some of it on a bus. I don't have many complaints. The on-time rate is good and I only recall one or two unpleasant conductors in all those years. At varying times depending upon where I lived, I've taken the Boonton, Main, Bergen and NJ Coast Lines.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Yerrr Right! Not from NY, Not from Philadelphia, Not from Jersey, we are Nooh Cheresy, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey