Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
so i looked hoboken up on Google Earth and it looks mostly suburban. are there many apartments or condominiums in the area. also, i am thinking about doing more graduate studies so do you know if the young crowd is just young or are they college students. want are some good colleges i should check out in the area
You must be mistaken, hoboken is anything but suburban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Quote:
ok. i always get confused. which are the nice boroughs and which are that rundown. or are they all mixed. harlem is a bad one right? which one is that in? or is it its own?

and is manhattan very expensive or something or unsafe?

and does everywhere around NYC have high cost of living or does say parts of NJ near it cost less b/c its not in NY
Harlem is not a borough. The five boroughs of NYC are Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. Harlem is part of Manhattan, parts have been gentrified and now costs big bucks to live there, although there are definitely still seedy areas you would want to avoid. There is no "good borough" and "bad borough." Each borough has their more and less desireable areas.

I agree that Hoboken isn't close to suburban. It is a great place for someone your age who is looking to avoid the Manhattan prices but still wants some night life.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
so in the pics of manahtten, are all those buildings commercial or are some residential.

so is Hoboken a better area than JC or is it just a more fun area?

and Brooklyn and Queens are my best choices in acutal NYC?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
so in the pics of manahtten, are all those buildings commercial or are some residential.

so is Hoboken a better area than JC or is it just a more fun area?

and Brooklyn and Queens are my best choices in acutal NYC?
a very general rule of thumb, between 57 and 34 st from 3rd ave to 8th ave is mostly commercial, outside of that midtown box is mostly residential. Of course there are many exceptions and there is much more to manhattan than that area. The Wall street area (lower manhattan) up until the recent past had always been commercial but many of the older office buildings cannot be upgraded for the technology needed in business so the buildings are being converted to residential.

Brooklyn and Queens can be viable alternatives but if you can swing it financially I'd say stay in manhattan, that where it's happening

Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 AM

51 posts, read 262,249 times
Quote:
so i looked hoboken up on Google Earth and it looks mostly suburban. are there many apartments or condominiums in the area. also, i am thinking about doing more graduate studies so do you know if the young crowd is just young or are they college students. want are some good colleges i should check out in the area
It sounds like Hoboken would be perfect for you! Hoboken is not suburban...it is a great little urban community filled with brownstones, walk-up apts, luxury condos, mid-rise apts, etc...and you could definitely find something in your upper price range there. It is safe and loaded with young single professionals and young families...and let's not forget the original Hobokenites! It has a fantastic downtown area along Washington St which is loaded with restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. There are parks all along the river with an amazing view of the skyline. There is a small college in Hoboken called Steven's Institute of Technology...so there are college students who live in town. Plus with close proximity to NYC...you also have tons of college grad students and young professionals...as I mentioned earlier. Check out NYC for colleges in the area...unless you are an engineering grad...which you could then check out Steven's. Less expensive would be New Jersey City University in JC.
If my husband and I had over $1 million to buy a browstone there it is where we would live. Let me know if you have any more questions about it...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,009 times
one bedroom apt in newport area (Jersey City) will cost you 1700-2000 per month. We lived in newport area (high rising building with NY view and 24 hr security) from 2003-2005, the rent was around 1500. When we moved out in mid 2005, I've heard the price of our one bedroom went up to 1700. I have heard that the rent in Hoboken is expensive, too.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM

51 posts, read 262,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
one bedroom apt in newport area (Jersey City) will cost you 1700-2000 per month. We lived in newport area (high rising building with NY view and 24 hr security) from 2003-2005, the rent was around 1500. When we moved out in mid 2005, I've heard the price of our one bedroom went up to 1700. I have heard that the rent in Hoboken is expensive, too.
Living in a "luxury building" with a NYC view in Hoboken or downtown JC would be out of the $1500 price range...however there are still many great rental options in these areas that are not in "luxury buildings."

Old 06-06-2007, 03:07 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,736 times
Hoboken, downtown Jersery City, and Brooklyn would all be good places to look.

Hoboken is a pretty good choice for someone immediately post college, particularly if you want to be around a ton of other 22-26 year olds. It has its own social scene that plenty of people from elsewhere in Northern NJ take part in on the weekends, but many people head into Manhattan as well. One thing to keep in mind is that the PATH station (which brings you to NYC) is at the very SE corner of Hoboken, so only a limited part of town (maybe a bit more than 1/4) is within easy walking distance, and places near the water and PATH station tend to be more expensive.

Downtown Jersey City is the most gentrified part of town and is for the most part about as safe as Hoboken. Other parts of JC vary with regards to safety, and none have as good access to Manhattan as downtown. It will also give you more than your money than Hoboken and Brooklyn. There are 3 PATH stations in downtown JC, and most of the downtown area is within a reasonable walking distance of the PATH. The Paulus Hook and Van Vorst Park sections are among the nicest downtown, and you may have some luck with finding a place in your price range in the Van Vorst Park area (although Paulus Hook is rather expensive).

But Brooklyn may be your best bet, if you can find something in your price range. It is THE happening part of NYC nowadays (even more so than Manhattan), especially for hipsters. Williamsburg is the epicenter of NYC hipness, although there are many other nice Brooklyn neighborhoods as well--Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, and Fort Greene come to mind. Just keep in mind that like Jersey City, Brooklyn neighborhoods vary dramatically--although it has changed a fair bit, I probably still wouldn't want to live in the Bedford-Stuysevant neighborood. Again, keep transit in mind--I personally think the L train is a pain to travel on, as it is both busy and if you're heading into Manhattan you are almost guaranteed to need to transfer. The J/M/Z is inconvenient for similar reasons. Finding something near the trains with major routes in Manhattan (like the 1/2/3, A/C/E, 4/5, etc) may be more convenient.

If you are willing to have a roommate, you can probably find something within your budget in all three places. If you want to be by yourself, it may be pretty difficult to find a true 1-bedroom in parts of Brooklyn and Hoboken for under $1500. You can almost definitely find a 1-bedroom in a good part of downtown JC for around $1500 (just not right on the water with an NYC view).

If you're definitely moving to the NYC area, take a look at all three neighborhoods/areas and see which ones meet your needs (for commute, environment, amenities, restaurants, etc.)

Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
i went on re/max website and found these. tell me if they are good areas.

[SIZE=4]75 Monroe Street, # 1[/SIZE][SIZE=4]Hoboken, NJ 07030[/SIZE]

229 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, NY

Fairview, NJ

65th & Broadway, West NY, NJ

Palisades Park, NJ

Palisades & Franklin, JC, NJ

Bleecker St & South St., JC, NJ

West Bergen, NJ

Fort Lee, NJ

Cliffside Park, NJ

Madison & 62nd, West NY, NJ

Fairview, NJ

Lake St. & Montrose Ave., JC Heights, NJ (is that a city)

West Bergen, NJ

Fairview, NJ

117-12 Ocean Promenade Unit 3-K
Queens, NY

Union City, NJ

Cambridge Ave & North St, JC, NJ

Lexington & West Side Ave, West Bergen, NJ

Union & Minerva, Greenville, NJ

Bronx, NY

Guttenberg, NJ

Long Island City

Wards Island

Weehawken

Randalls Island

Roosevelt Island

Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM

32 posts, read 90,392 times
All NYC boroughs have nice areas and not so nice, even in Manhattan. It all depends on what you are use to. I live Bensonhurst, Brooklyn currently, right next to Bay Ridge. With the subway, it only takes 40 minutes to get to lower Manhattan. The neighborhood is very diverse and safe. I suggest you check out the different neighborhoods in NYC and in Jersey City, Hoboken and decide what is more your preference. Let me know if you need to know about any Brooklyn neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey