Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
southbound_295 - This may be a case of apples and oranges! Your sister was probably paying 4% of her health care costs as opposed to the 1.5% of her salary for health care costs. For example, if her health care policy costs her school system $4000 a year, she was paying $160 a year as her contribution. Now, if her salary is $70,000, under Christie's formula she would pay ($700 x 1.5) or $1050 per year.

As a retired Fed, I pay ~30% of the cost of my health care policy. I have BCBS basic which costs me ~$100 a month for single person coverage or if I needed family coverage about $300 a month. I would pay this amount whether I was a janitor at the Post Office or a U.S. Senator.

The teachers in NC, to contrast with NJ teachers, pay nothing for 80% self-only coverage and ~$350 a month for coverage with a spouse. For coverage for the entire family, they pay ~$650 a month for 80% coverage... your hospital bill is $100,000.....you cough up $20,000! Their prescription coverage is pretty paltry too. NJ teachers have done pretty well up to this point!
Emissary, her district pays 4% of their salary. I forget what the copays are. Since my sister & her husband both work in the same district, the way that it's set up, they each carried a policy & each one covered 1 of their kids.

This is not a wealthy district & until the last couple of years, still had several working pig farms. My brother-in law works a 2nd job, year-round & my sister teaches summer school.

2 superintendants ago it came out in a nasty contract negotiation that the superintendant was making over $300K a year & was nickel & diming the teachers. He got the residents so mad that he was replaced. The next super was a life-long resident of the township & declined to take most of the salary. She retired & my sister is looking to see what kind of money the new super is pulling in, but she speculates that it is as much or more than 2 supers ago.

Considering what the state commisioner of education makes, the salaries of the district superintendants are obscene.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-05-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,502,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Emissary, her district pays 4% of their salary. I forget what the copays are. Since my sister & her husband both work in the same district, the way that it's set up, they each carried a policy & each one covered 1 of their kids.

This is not a wealthy district & until the last couple of years, still had several working pig farms. My brother-in law works a 2nd job, year-round & my sister teaches summer school.

2 superintendants ago it came out in a nasty contract negotiation that the superintendant was making over $300K a year & was nickel & diming the teachers. He got the residents so mad that he was replaced. The next super was a life-long resident of the township & declined to take most of the salary. She retired & my sister is looking to see what kind of money the new super is pulling in, but she speculates that it is as much or more than 2 supers ago.

Considering what the state commisioner of education makes, the salaries of the district superintendants is obscene.
sb - I stand corrected! By NJ teacher benefit standards, your sister is not getting much of a "bargain" and I can surely bet that the $300K superintendant was not responsible for 133,000 kids the way the CMS (Charlotte & Mecklenburg county) super is!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Someone in South Jersey did that... lower part of Voorhees maybe? He took about a $100k pay cut to around $50k a year to save teacher's jobs.
I checked the Courier post & the superintendant is from Lower Township in Cape May County. Good for him!

Cape May Co. educator volunteers for pay cut | courierpostonline.com | Courier-Post

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,626 times
I think its hilarious as I watch the NJEA put this specific teacher on display and rant about how its Governor Christie's fault we are in the position we are in and that he is making wrong decisions for students.

This specific teacher works 10 months a year and for the 2008 yr, she grossed almost $90,000 a year.

This does not include her health benefits that cost the taxpayers between $18,000 and $25,000 a year. I am a hard working NJ resident, I don't make this amount of money a year. I work for 12 months a year with less than 2 wks paid vacation, I pay my own health insurance and I feel LUCKY to have a job! Especially in this economy!

I think its disgusting that the teachers in this state feel its their RIGHT to get all of these things handed to them. They want a 4% to 5% raise, when the rest of us are not getting them due to economic down turn, our state has an unemployment rate of 10%, property taxes are the highest in the country and we have a budget deficit into the BILLIONS!

We all work hard out there, nothing is just handed to any of us. In corporate America where they all claim they could go and make more money, you don't get 2 months off a year, you get about 8 holiday's a year, you don't get Winter or Spring Breaks off, you don't get snow days, and I have seen posts about OT. In the world that these teachers would like you to believe they could go, its called Salary...That means NO OT. Your lucky to have a job!

I find it to be sad that teachers can't see that they need to look to their own districts, Superintendents, Administrators and Board of Educations to rein in their budgets. We all do it in our own homes, why can't the school districts be responsible and not expect the tax payers to foot the bill for over spending.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
sb - I stand corrected! By NJ teacher benefit standards, your sister is not getting much of a "bargain" and I can surely bet that the $300K superintendant was not responsible for 133,000 kids the way the CMS (Charlotte & Mecklenburg county) super is!
LOL, Emissary, she is working for a typical South Jersey district out of the Philly suburbs. Could be much worse in some of those districts.

Now the pig farms were really special. My sister & her husband work in a 4 room school that at one time was surrounded by pig farms. The district didn't have the money for A/C until recently & they had to keep the windows open for ventilation, in spring & fall.

My sister's husband was planning to retire next year & she was planning to work for one more contract, since their younger child is in her first year of a 5 years to master program in college. Since the current contract runs for 2 more years, he will probably stay for the extra year since she will be forced out at the end of this contract. (He hasn't decided & won't until they can look over their finances.) Oops!

Now, if the district reopens the contract, to do Christie's bidding, they might get forced out this year.

I stand corrected. I just did a search & the superintendant of her district is making less than $200K, so the super who refused the full salary brought that salary down.

Here's a website that gives a lot of the administrative salaries for the whole state. “User-friendly” plain language budget summary

Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM

204 posts, read 635,648 times
southbound, very very nice story about the super that gave back to his community...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post
southbound, very very nice story about the super that gave back to his community...
TY, but I can't take credit. I've moved on to NC but nemmert brought it up & I dug up the details.

Just the same, check out the administrative salaries on that other link that I posted. It's no wonder that property taxes are through the roof. I bailed out because of the lack of jobs in South Jersey & the skyrocketing property taxes. If I hadn't left when I did, I'd be trying to now.

It's a real shame about what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey