Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
 
27 posts, read 43,299 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Benefits packages to high? How is that when the state wont make the payments to the pension funds. That is the problem not, the packages. Teachers have been outfunding the state in their own pension plan. Some districts are paying up to 4% into the healthcare plans. Some districts have taken lesser values HC plans to save their districts money? What have the admins and BOE done? The NJEA wont press their district unions to take pay freezes. Why? BEcause the districts won't guarantee that they will save any job. Not onyl that, a py freeze means only that. That 1.3% raise has to come due somewhere, and that would be in the form of a double raise. These districts want the raises to dissapear or skipped. Who in their right mind is going to agree to that. These are all collective bargaining agreements already in place and have to be followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
 
7 posts, read 16,178 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I have a single friend (no kids) that pays a little more than $400.00 a month for health benefits (and that's her portion after her job pays the rest). I feel lucky that I pay 2.3% of my pay towards health benefits. Unless you pay a portion of your health benefits, you don't know what the private sector is going through.
Right now (as a federal employee remember) I pay just shy of $200 a month for myself. That will double if and when I add my wife-I think I do understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The only area I disagree on is the union mentality of the slippery slope (not your point per se, more of the unions) and the belief that people vilify teachers and expect them to make minimum wage.
Really?

Quote:
She's a Kindergarten teacher?

What the hell is she doing, putting the crayons back in the box? Complex lesson plans? Really? For friggin kindergarten?
Quote:
I agree with most of you. The thought of teachers starting salary at 40k is pretty much crazy. How could we over pay teachers like that? Teachers making 80k at that top of the salary guide is nuts. These teachers are getting rich in NJ for a part time job. How could we overpay basic work like that? Every teacher I know is on easy street and most of them live in Madison,Westfield and Millburn. Crazy crazy stuff I would say.
Quote:
i dont know why some of the teachers in my district get paid so much,my child is in middle school and is not challenged at all. where are the projects,book reports,spelling tests. looking up defentions? i honestly think i could teach these kids,lets face it anyone can home school a child if you can afford to stay home and are disciplined enough to do the work with your child. its not rocket science..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 AM
 
1,787 posts, read 5,753,686 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney_power View Post
Right now (as a federal employee remember) I pay just shy of $200 a month for myself. That will double if and when I add my wife-I think I do understand.
Then, you do understand a little.

But, my friend pays twice the amount you pay for single coverage. She pays $400/month for one person and you may be paying $400/month for two people.

Last edited by timneh5; 03-26-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills
555 posts, read 1,655,567 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShovel View Post
Benefits packages to high? How is that when the state wont make the payments to the pension funds. That is the problem not, the packages. Teachers have been outfunding the state in their own pension plan. Some districts are paying up to 4% into the healthcare plans. Some districts have taken lesser values HC plans to save their districts money? What have the admins and BOE done? The NJEA wont press their district unions to take pay freezes. Why? BEcause the districts won't guarantee that they will save any job. Not onyl that, a py freeze means only that. That 1.3% raise has to come due somewhere, and that would be in the form of a double raise. These districts want the raises to dissapear or skipped. Who in their right mind is going to agree to that. These are all collective bargaining agreements already in place and have to be followed.
Wow... umm... how to explain this is an understandable way...

Lets see... you're complaining that the state... our tax dollars... aren't making the payment into the pension plan... hmmm... why do you think that is?

Oh yeah! Because it's not affordable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it were affordable they'd be making the payments now wouldn't they?

We already carry the one of the highest if not the highest tax burdens in the country and the state still doesn't have enough money to fund the pensions at the level required by the NJEA. How can you even possibly argue that it's affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
 
27 posts, read 43,299 times
Reputation: 22
you have absolutely no idea on what your talking about do you?

The state didnt make those payments for 10 years. Why because they either took money directly from the fund or took the money they were supposed to pay into and used it for other programs and also use it to plug that gap in state budgets. At least know what your talking about. If a private pension plan operated like this state did, the admins of the plan would be in jail. So when they keep putting off the deposits, the monies owed are larger and larger. OF course they can't pay it now, and thats teh state's fault. Not the teachers fault. Again, be informed when you are going to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 AM
 
14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Reputation: 14622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney_power View Post
Really?
There's always a few people who will banter about strong opinions in regards to teachers and what they do. My assumption is that most of them have something personal against teacher(s) or are simply angry when they listen to the 12 o'clock news while home and out of work and hear what the NJEA is saying and doing.

I think overall most sane and literate people around here, have nothing against the teachers. Their union...that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills
555 posts, read 1,655,567 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShovel View Post
you have absolutely no idea on what your talking about do you?

The state didnt make those payments for 10 years. Why because they either took money directly from the fund of took the money they were supposed to pay into and used it for other programs and also use it to plug that gap in state budgets. At least know what your talking about.
I know exactly what you're talking about... but again, if they can't make the payment, by definition, it's not affordable.

If I have no money in my wallet and you offer me a brand new BMW for $1... it's still not affordable, I don't have $1.

If the deal were affordable and sustainable, it would have been funded. The fact that is hasn't been funded but has been borrowed against shows just how unaffordable it is. NJ taxpayers are sick of paying over $16B a year extra for education then we should be versus the national average. If the funds were so "affordable" NJ wouldn't have one of the highest tax burdens in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 6,282,681 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney_power View Post
Due to these two factors, she and the other non-tenured staff are going to lose their jobs.
She can thank tenure for that. Contrary to popular myth, tenure doesn't make everyone's job more secure. It makes the positions of tenured faculty considerably more secure, and the non-tenured considerably less so.

Layoffs are inevitable when you are serving someone who is no longer willing and able to pay. What should not be inevitable is the practice of making sacrificial lambs of junior employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
 
27 posts, read 43,299 times
Reputation: 22
the fact is, IT WAS SUSTAINABLE!!!!!!!!! Why do you think the state got the mentallity that hey we'll just double up next time. Come on, are you really that niave?

Let's see it all started with....................Whitman raiding the state FOP and PBA pension funds to give tax cuts. And the politcal slush funding didnt end there. When the state pension funds were on life support they raided the state's unemployment fund for a nice whopping total of 6 billion dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
 
27 posts, read 43,299 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
She can thank tenure for that. Contrary to popular myth, tenure doesn't make everyone's job more secure. It makes the positions of tenured faculty considerably more secure, and the non-tenured considerably less so.

Layoffs are inevitable when you are serving someone who is no longer willing and able to pay. What should not be inevitable is the practice of making sacrificial lambs of junior employees.
thank the state for tenure laws. the Unions never implemented or demanded it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top