Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills
555 posts, read 1,655,567 times
Reputation: 345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShovel View Post
the fact is, IT WAS SUSTAINABLE!!!!!!!!! Why do you think the state got the mentallity that hey we'll just double up next time. Come on, are you really that niave?

Let's see it all started with....................Whitman raiding the state FOP and PBA pension funds to give tax cuts. And the politcal slush funding didnt end there. When the state pension funds were on life support they raided the state's unemployment fund for a nice whopping total of 6 billion dollars.
Thanks for the history lesson... but again... already carrying the highest tax burden in the country... still unable to fund the plan... i.e. unaffordable. Times change, it matters not that it was once affordable, it's not today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM
 
27 posts, read 43,299 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Thanks for the history lesson... but again... already carrying the highest tax burden in the country... still unable to fund the plan... i.e. unaffordable. Times change, it matters not that it was once affordable, it's not today.
thanx for the strawman statement.

the fact it's unsustainable right now is the state's fault, not the NJEAs fault. Thanx for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
 
63 posts, read 136,693 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think overall most sane and literate people around here, have nothing against the teachers. Their union...that's a different story.
I agree with this completely. Teachers I have nothing against - but the Union I have a loathing for. Not a single teacher had to be let go - that was the decision of the NJEA. They could have cut administrative jobs or those positions could have taken salary cuts - they didn't. They are saving their jobs at the cost of the rank and file - the very people they are there to protect. Have you seen how much some of these administrative positions make?

Right where I live in Absecon; James Giaquinto a Superintendent makes $124,499 and I can't imagine why. Or Thomas Kirchling the 'Assistant Superintendent Human Resources' who makes $170,436. THESE are the folks that should be let go or take the pay cuts NOT the teachers. You can read about those in your districts here:
http://www.state.nj.us/education/finance/fp/ufb/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
 
27 posts, read 43,299 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
I agree with this completely. Teachers I have nothing against - but the Union I have a loathing for. Not a single teacher had to be let go - that was the decision of the NJEA. They could have cut administrative jobs or those positions could have taken salary cuts - they didn't. They are saving their jobs at the cost of the rank and file - the very people they are there to protect. Have you seen how much some of these administrative positions make?

Right where I live in Absecon; James Giaquinto a Superintendent makes $124,499 and I can't imagine why. Or Thomas Kirchling the 'Assistant Superintendent Human Resources' who makes $170,436. THESE are the folks that should be let go or take the pay cuts NOT the teachers.
So......................how is that the union's fault that bloat is at the top. They don;t represent anyone above a teacher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
2,179 posts, read 6,723,220 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShovel View Post
So......................how is that the union's fault that bloat is at the top. They don;t represent anyone above a teacher
The union needs to drive that point home that the upper management is the problem. You know, they can say it the next time they release one of their stupid commercials accusing Christie of hating children, kittens, and sunflowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Forest Hills
555 posts, read 1,655,567 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShovel View Post
So......................how is that the union's fault that bloat is at the top. They don;t represent anyone above a teacher
Bloat is the result of too much money... money breeds corruption and bloat... the NJEA is entirely against ANY cut of educational funds which in turn means they support the bloat. If the NJEA didn't, they wouldn't oppose every single budget cut... they would spend some of that $130M a year to educate the tax payers on where the bloat is that can be cut to save the teachers jobs. The fact is, the NJEA and those bloated school boards are attached at the hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,410 posts, read 28,766,162 times
Reputation: 12075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShovel View Post
the fact is, IT WAS SUSTAINABLE!!!!!!!!! Why do you think the state got the mentallity that hey we'll just double up next time. Come on, are you really that niave?

Let's see it all started with....................Whitman raiding the state FOP and PBA pension funds to give tax cuts. And the politcal slush funding didnt end there. When the state pension funds were on life support they raided the state's unemployment fund for a nice whopping total of 6 billion dollars.
Unfortunately that is true...they took the money that was intended to fund the pension plans...THE MONEY WAS THERE..... and diverted it to other things..I think Whitman used it for the tax or homestead rebates....had a plan administrator in the private sector done that he/she would be in jail..and they've been doing it for at least a decade..how now are they going to pay the piper

and yes they raided the UI fund money you paid out of your paycheck as well as what your employer contributed, they also raided that money from the tobacco companies....
Tobacco fund and what is was supposed to be used for:

http://academic.udayton.edu/health/s...co/summary.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: The Beautiful Pocono Mountains
5,450 posts, read 8,772,681 times
Reputation: 3002
Whoever said that he is trying to make consolidations was right on the money. I see no problems with this. It will save many jobs that need saving (teachers) and lower the burden on the masses.

I don't think there are too many people that are really blaming the teachers for our problems. Once again, the NJEA has had a stranglehold on our taxes for a long time, and they need to loosen the grip. Our education system is simply top heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Tri-State Area
2,942 posts, read 6,012,945 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Whoever said that he is trying to make consolidations was right on the money. I see no problems with this. It will save many jobs that need saving (teachers) and lower the burden on the masses.

I don't think there are too many people that are really blaming the teachers for our problems. Once again, the NJEA has had a stranglehold on our taxes for a long time, and they need to loosen the grip. Our education system is simply top heavy.
As you can see, they'll go kicking and screaming, but go they will - the *** is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM
 
Location: The Beautiful Pocono Mountains
5,450 posts, read 8,772,681 times
Reputation: 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
As you can see, they'll go kicking and screaming, but go they will - the *** is up.
I'm hoping you're right.

I know in our high school, there is a guidance counselor going....

I guess they just want to hit the teachers (read "kids"). What about administrators? What about those that can (read "should") retire?

Are they trying to make the parents cave and say, "who cares, raise our taxes"? For a lot of people, if taxes are raised any more on no more income, there will be more homes in foreclosure and then they will lose a lot more jobs....

My husband's union agreed to a two year pay freeze to keep jobs in their company. The union members voted and it was 70-30 to agree to it. 70% don't want to see the guy next to them out of a job. Why can't the NJEA do the same thing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top