Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 27,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But look at two of states they are moving to, NY and MA. I know in NJ we like to think we have the highest property taxes in the nation but the reality is they highest property taxes to be had are in NY. Granted NJ is a close second.

Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com

Massachusetts has the same high cost of living, relatively high state property taxes and despite Prop 2 1/2 the eighth highest local property taxes in the nation. And as lovely a city as Boston (and my fathers family is from there) is its still not going to offer everything that NYC can.
MA is cheaper. Even at the time I lived right next to a subway stop in Boston, I can't help to notice my saving goes up higher easily. Just take auto insurance as an example, I paid $3000 a year in central NJ, by moving to Boston I paid $1100/year, then when I moved back to NJ a year later it went up to $1800.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njworkhorse View Post
It is all relative. For me, those are not important at all. It takes only about 20 min to drive to NYC from where I live, but I haven't been to NYC for more than 10 years. BTW, the 19 miles to Sandy Hook could take about 2 hours one way during the summer. I don't think it worth the time.
I agree that it is all relative. Flyersfan had asked what specific things make NJ have a higher quality of living; so I gave a list of the things that matter to me. As for Sandy Hook to NYC in the summer, ferry is the only way to go still takes almost an hour but its a nice trip.

Out of curiosity, what are the things that make you want to live in NJ?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
For everyone moving to PA, where are you moving too?

Outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas, nothing really seems too great.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njworkhorse View Post
MA is cheaper. Even at the time I lived right next to a subway stop in Boston, I can't help to notice my saving goes up higher easily. Just take auto insurance as an example, I paid $3000 a year in central NJ, by moving to Boston I paid $1100/year, then when I moved back to NJ a year later it went up to $1800.
Are you actually claiming the cost of living in BOSTON next to the T no less was cheaper than NJ? Really? Boston is the third most expensive city in the country and its property taxes are astoundingly high. So I believe you that your car insurance went up but overall cost of living, for a comparable home? No way.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
When I looked into this, I found that by most of these "quality of life" measures, I could afford a vastly superior "quality of life" in PA.
We moved from NJ for a "better quality of life" to Saratoga NY area. Schools are excellent, crime is extremely low, no congestion, roads are better, drive an hour to see Broadway shows at half the price, nightlife in town, great restaurants, people are friendly and polite and cost of living is cheaper all around than NJ. I lived in Jersey most of my life, loved it, but for us it was too congested. Driving the GS Parking Lot to pay to sit on a small patch of beach was not enjoyable; I'd rather fly to the islands or HI where I can actually enjoy the beauty than the shore. Yet when we were young we spent the entire summer at the shore and loved it; no more with the congestion. People who have visited from Jersey are amazed when they visit. They never knew this area existed and tell us we have it all.

No state is perfect, it depends on what each individual wants as a priority. You can live in an expensive place or a inexpensive one and still be miserable if you are bored, angry and lonely. Life is what you make it.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
For everyone moving to PA, where are you moving too?

Outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas, nothing really seems too great.
Montgomery County (Philly 'burbs)

Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what are the things that make you want to live in NJ?
Pretty much nothing now, it is just I don't have time to move yet. And I was too stupid, knew nothing other than north east states. I'll try to fly to some more places on my list this summer before making the finaly decision.

Also, like many have mentioned, it is family and job matters that keep people in NJ. But as some people here have also mentioned, your family members or friends are not going to help you pay for the high cost of living in NJ. Besides, even if you live close enough, say 20 min driving time, you are not seeing each other that often anyway.

For me, I can conduct my business by simply having high speed internet and living near a major airport. Most of my business actually come from other states.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romepower View Post
Believe, I rather live in NJ with higher taxes than living in somes states vlise to 0% taxes!

I've driven cross country and seen these places!
I feel the same way. I find that the NJ area has all the career opportunities, amenities, and culture I desire. Why would I ever consider leaving this state to save a couple of dollars on property taxes. It would makes no sense for me. I know many that have moved and lost much more in wages and career opportunities than they saved in property taxes.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Are you actually claiming the cost of living in BOSTON next to the T no less was cheaper than NJ? Really? Boston is the third most expensive city in the country and its property taxes are astoundingly high. So I believe you that your car insurance went up but overall cost of living, for a comparable home? No way.
I rent. Well, it is a city, if you have time to look around, you may be lucky enough to have a good deal. I paid about $850 for the rent, 2 bedroom, includes a parking space at that time. When I moved back to NJ, I paid the same for 1 bedroom in an apartment community in central NJ.

On the other hand, it is not a good comparison, should compare Boston suburbs to NJ, not Boston. It was even cheaper when I lived in Natick.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Living in NJ gives you the ability to go from a broadway show on a Friday night to surfing some of the best waves on the EC (at Manasquan inlet) Saturday morning. All of the concerts and big events you can see at Giants stadium and then the underground music scene in Asbury Park. Skiing at hunter mountain after only a 2 hr drive from the normally relatively snow free winters to be found at the Jersey shore. The chaos at the boardwalk and the summer club scene only being a mornings drive away from the peace and quiet found camping at Bulls Island or High Point. All the history at Allaire Village and Twin lights ending with a ferry trip to the City. The wildlife and birding found at Sandy Hook is less than 19 miles away from some of the best natural history museums in the world. Add all of those with the lack of earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards (usually) and the lack of crime in your own neighborhood and NJ can't be beat.

I am sure that you can individually find all of those things in other places but not with the ease and proximity with which you can find them if you are living in NJ. I am willing to pay more in taxes and not have to pay to take a vacation everytime I want to do some of those things apparently you are not.

New Jersey doesn't offer Broadway shows.....New York does. Hunter Mountain is in New York....not New Jersey and the other items you cited can all be found in other states......half of what you have offered as "unmatched" in New Jersey isn't even in New Jersey and the rest can all be found elsewhere.......the point was that New Jerseys outrageous taxes are worth it because of what NJ has to offer thats "unmatched" and so far no one has offered anything thats actually unmatched that makes the taxes worth it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey