Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuave624 View Post
I'd rather drive to another county for things as opposed to dealing with the traffic in my area.
Do you realize how illogical that sounds? How on earth would you drive to another county without driving thru your area first?

As other people have alluded, these laws don't truly reduce traffic. They just offset Sunday traffic to mostly Saturday and the rest of the week. If you didn't have this artificial Sunday reduction, maybe traffic all other 6 days would be slightly better?

Besides, lots of people driving to neighboring counties (much longer routes) is surely "worse" than lots of people driving locally (shorter routes). Who benefits? Gas companies and the sales tax revenues of neighboring counties.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
I take the Light Rail to Jersey City and Shop on Sunday , i don't the blue law over turned , traffic is bad and all my friends who have off would have to work. 90% of the County wants it to stay anyway.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:41 PM

66 posts, read 194,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post
What are you, a dictator?
No, I just don't see the logic in complaining about something like traffic in Paramus if you're a new home purchaser. With enough due diligence as most new home owners should be doing... They should get the idea that traffic is really bad and it's something they have to live with in Paramus. If they don't like it, they can choose to live in other less congested towns. If residents don't like it, even with the Blue Laws..they can move out. There are some really nice towns in Bergen County that don't have these issues with comparable and even more affordable homes. No use complaining about it.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 AM

19 posts, read 91,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisChick View Post
Perhaps keeping Bergen shopping open on Sundays would reduce the Saturday traffic because everyone would not be trying to squeeze in their shopping on the only weekend day available? Thereby reducing overall traffic in other nearby shopping areas on Sunday and hmmmm.....
I used to be under the same impression until I was corrected by several transportation and traffic professionals whom I know. The reality is that just because Bergen County shopping is closed on Sundays does not mean people are not shopping; rather, they find other means to get their shopping done. Many of the shoppers from NY and those living south of Bergen county travel to Jersey Gardens. People in northern Bergen travel into Rockland or to Woodbury commons. Or people just go to 'main street' as opposed to the malls. Unfortunately, Saturday traffic would not ease up because shoppers will still do shopping on whichever day is convenient for them. If they choose to shop on Saturdays, then they go to Bergen county. If they choose to shop in Sundays, then they go elsewhere.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 AM

Not sure what you mean by

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
How on earth would you drive to another county without driving thru your area first?
Of course one would need to drive through their area in order to get somewhere else. Are you refering to avoiding Bergen on a Saturday to get to another county to shop?

Regardless, I was being slightly facetious in an effort to stress my point about the traffic in my area however there is some truth to that statement. As stated, I do not mind driving an extra 5 minutes to the Lowes in Paterson if the Lowes in Lyndhurst is close. I don't mind going to the footlocker in Passaic as opposed to the one in Garden State. My point is that casual driving, to visit friends, family, etc. is MUCH MUCH easier on a Sunday with the Blue Law in place and eliminating it would just create the traffic that is currently there on Saturdays. I for one am still an advocate in favor of keeping the law.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
No, I just don't see the logic in complaining about something like traffic in Paramus if you're a new home purchaser. With enough due diligence as most new home owners should be doing... They should get the idea that traffic is really bad and it's something they have to live with in Paramus. If they don't like it, they can choose to live in other less congested towns. If residents don't like it, even with the Blue Laws..they can move out. There are some really nice towns in Bergen County that don't have these issues with comparable and even more affordable homes. No use complaining about it.
Since I'm the only one discussing traffic I'll assume this was directed at me.

Personally speaking, I clearly knew the traffic patterns in the Paramus area on a Saturday. I myself used to travel from NY into the area to shop. I live, work, have family and have close friends all within a 20 mile radius of NYC and need convenient access to the major highways to commute to and from NYC. Unfortunately, within this radius, there are not any less congested towns that are easily accessible to the major highways (which is why the malls are located where they are). In NJ, you have Bergen and Union. In NY, you have Westchester. In Long Island, you have Nassau and Suffolk. ALL these areas have considerable congestion and traffic. I lived in Westchester most of my life and traffic is jsut as bad there. Long Island, forget it, probably the worst of the three! So I welcome an area that has a law that directly has a positive impact on traffic reduction.

Last edited by dsuave624; 04-14-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,891 times
I love the blue law.... The entire country should have same law

Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,018 times
i used to work 6 days with only my sundays off. if stores everywhere were closed on sunday it would have been impossible for me to take care of any errands. every township should decide on their own if they want their stores open or closed on sunday. personally i'd rather see stores open on both saturday and sunday as this makes shopping and planning the weekend more convenient and is also good economically. i think if you really can't live with the traffic in your area then maybe you need to move to somewhere with less traffic.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:00 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
LOL...and just how do you prevent some one from leaving Bergen County on a Sunday to shop..armed guards at the border to the next county???
LOL yes and they should be shot on sight.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
I think the whole blue law thing is really stupid. Like another poster said "people in Bergen county don't just not shop on Sunday's they go elsewhere". How is that fair to everyone else? Of course people from the county will enjoy the lack of traffic, but now every county around them will have to deal with the Bergen county residents who decide to shop on Sun. as well as their own drivers. I don't understand why anyone moves to Paramus and complains about the traffic. Moving to Paramus and complaining about traffic is like moving near Times sq. and complaining that it is always to light or noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey