U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,925 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the military & we are transferring to Bayonne NJ in July. I was apartment hunting online & found some stuff all around that area, but noticed that anything that I found in Woodbridge was both larger in sqft & cheaper in price (sometimes by ALOT). Which sounds like a sweet deal to me, but seems like there should be a catch. Example - in Seattle area Tacoma is nice, and cheap...but there could be a pungent wind when it blew from a certain direction (paper mills). Hence, cheap & large apts. I would appreciate any info on this area, and others around Bayonne where we could get a decent sized place (1000 sqft range) for not freaky $$ (max $2000, prefer 2 bedrooms). Thanks all & everyone! Peace!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM

16,833 posts, read 15,873,250 times
Woodbridge is next town over from rahway state prison.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM

12,380 posts, read 24,972,221 times
Its a very large nice town , its @ the JCT of 3 key regional highways and 2 Railways that will take you almost anywhere in the Northeast. There is a lot of retail stores and the beach is 30-1hr drive south depending on your type of beach. There are many different neighborhoods.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM

877 posts, read 2,630,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlouchingNinja View Post
My husband is in the military & we are transferring to Bayonne NJ in July. I was apartment hunting online & found some stuff all around that area, but noticed that anything that I found in Woodbridge was both larger in sqft & cheaper in price (sometimes by ALOT). Which sounds like a sweet deal to me, but seems like there should be a catch. Example - in Seattle area Tacoma is nice, and cheap...but there could be a pungent wind when it blew from a certain direction (paper mills). Hence, cheap & large apts. I would appreciate any info on this area, and others around Bayonne where we could get a decent sized place (1000 sqft range) for not freaky $$ (max $2000, prefer 2 bedrooms). Thanks all & everyone! Peace!
Where in Woodbridge exactly? It is quite large and has many different parts.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 AM

294 posts, read 663,178 times
As many have said, Woodbridge is a rather large town. It is nice all over, but some areas of Woodbridge are just nicer than others. The only reason why Bayonne is on the expensive side of the spectrum is because is closer to NYC. Other than that, Woodbridge is a much better town all around. You will get a lot more space for your money. By the way, the fact that the Rahway State Jail is in the next town (Rahway) does not negatively impact the town in anyway.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Where in Woodbridge exactly? It is quite large and has many different parts.
I'm not sure where in Woodbridge these places are. All I have is the address & town name when I look at these apartments online. (well, I guess I know EXACTLY where, but the neighborhoods? No idea...)
I don't think that I'm overly concerned by the prison. I'm more concerned the overall safety of the neighborhood. As a military wife, I am home by myself sometimes more often than not. I'm more wanting to be able to come home from work after dark & not be ambushed & robbed on my walk from bus or PATH or whatever.
Speaking of which - it sounds fairly easy to public transportation to Bayonne & NYC also?

Thanks for everyone's info! SO helpful! (Wish I had known about this site before we transferred to Nola!)

Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,729,079 times
Woodbridge is OK. It's suburban and safe. This is just my opinion, but I'm not crazy about that whole area (Woodbridge, Iselin, Fords, Edison, Colonia, Carteret, etc). The main reasons are that much of the area looks kind of dumpy, it's very congested with the malls and Route 1, some of it is industrial, and very few of the towns have a nice walkable downtown area. Secondly, the population around there is very skewed towards Indian Americans, many of which are exclusive and don't necessarily like to blend with neighbors from other cultures. I'm not biased against any cultures, and I generally LIKE most Indian Americans that I come into contact with, but my experiences in those Woodbridge communities have been different, and in talking to people that live there, I am not alone. You can take it with a grain of salt, but I'm just giving you the heads up.

I think you should look in areas like Cranford, Westfield, Garwood. They are close to the Parkway and 78, which would take you to 78. From either of these towns you can be in Bayonne in about 20 minutes or so. They are all great towns and have great schools and lots of restaurants and stuff to do.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM

877 posts, read 2,630,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlouchingNinja View Post
I'm not sure where in Woodbridge these places are. All I have is the address & town name when I look at these apartments online. (well, I guess I know EXACTLY where, but the neighborhoods? No idea...)
I don't think that I'm overly concerned by the prison. I'm more concerned the overall safety of the neighborhood. As a military wife, I am home by myself sometimes more often than not. I'm more wanting to be able to come home from work after dark & not be ambushed & robbed on my walk from bus or PATH or whatever.
Speaking of which - it sounds fairly easy to public transportation to Bayonne & NYC also?

Thanks for everyone's info! SO helpful! (Wish I had known about this site before we transferred to Nola!)
Well if the address is Woodbridge 07095 then you'll be fine. Has a nice downtown area with a train station with a beer brewery, as well as a huge mall close by. Other areas such as Avenel, Hopelawn and Keasbey can be a little iffy since they drift into some not-so-great areas, but the town overall is very safe. I've heard many people say Avenel, which hits Rahway (state prison close by), is no worse than anywhere else, it just looks very deceiving. Hopelawn and Keasbey are on the other side of town near Perth Amboy. I know someone from Hopelawn, says he's never had any problems there, not too sure about Keasbey though.

The Indian American enclave is Iselin. There's alot of South Asian shops along Oak Tree Rd, locals call it "Little India". Colonia is the most upscale section of town, has lots of mansions - and I mean real mansions, not those ugly new McMansions they build everywhere - priced over a million or more. Other sections of town are Port Reading, Sewaren and Menlo Park Terrace. Not too familiar with those areas though, anybody?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,729,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Well if the address is Woodbridge 07095 then you'll be fine. Has a nice downtown area with a train station with a beer brewery, as well as a huge mall close by. Other areas such as Avenel, Hopelawn and Keasbey can be a little iffy since they drift into some not-so-great areas, but the town overall is very safe. I've heard many people say Avenel, which hits Rahway (state prison close by), is no worse than anywhere else, it just looks very deceiving. Hopelawn and Keasbey are on the other side of town near Perth Amboy. I know someone from Hopelawn, says he's never had any problems there, not too sure about Keasbey though.

The Indian American enclave is Iselin. There's alot of South Asian shops along Oak Tree Rd, locals call it "Little India". Colonia is the most upscale section of town, has lots of mansions - and I mean real mansions, not those ugly new McMansions they build everywhere - priced over a million or more. Other sections of town are Port Reading, Sewaren and Menlo Park Terrace. Not too familiar with those areas though, anybody?
But there are Indian American enclaves all over the area, and a lot of them are very private and exclusive of others. This may not bother some, but i personally like being friendly with my neighbors, so that would bother me.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,173,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Woodbridge is next town over from rahway state prison.
Rahway state prison does not exist
it is called eastern state prison and is located in woodbridge (avenal) on rahway ave.........

To the original poster
the further you go away from the city
the cheaper the rents are going to be
Woodbridge (like any other town) has some very nice areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey