Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:01 AM

33 posts, read 73,591 times

Advertisements

Now that my husband and I seem to be very mucht into living in either Summit or Chatham or Princeton area, there is one thing though that worries me. These areas are apparently wealthy. My husband too provides very well for us. However....we don't have the attitude that some people show when they got a nice amount of money to spend.
Are people in those areas generally snobby and distant? We wanna live in an outgoing relaxed neighbourhood. I hate arrogance because people happen to have enough $$$. I'm a stay at home mum, is that a rare thing there? Do people look down on you? I hate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoep View Post
Now that my husband and I seem to be very mucht into living in either Summit or Chatham or Princeton area, there is one thing though that worries me. These areas are apparently wealthy. My husband too provides very well for us. However....we don't have the attitude that some people show when they got a nice amount of money to spend.
Are people in those areas generally snobby and distant? We wanna live in an outgoing relaxed neighbourhood. I hate arrogance because people happen to have enough $$$. I'm a stay at home mum, is that a rare thing there? Do people look down on you? I hate that.
You will find snobby people and nice people in all those towns. Speaking in generalities, I have found that people with new money tend to act more snobby than people who grew up around money their whole life. Again, that is not a steadfast rule or anything.

My wife is a stay at home mom in Livingston, and there are plenty of other stay at home moms for her to spend time with. Knowing Summit and Chatham, I know there are plenty in those towns as well. You will be fine.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
There are enough nice people in ANY community for you to choose as friends. The others really do not matter, do they?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 AM

28 posts, read 106,690 times
We tend to attract and connect with people that mirror our attitudes and energy regardless of where we are...so you should be just fine. Enjoy your new experience.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
It's definitely the new money areas that are the most stuck up. The older areas have matured and they're used to it.

I grew up in Manalapan, moved there from Staten Island at the age of 9 back in 1994 and got out of there last year (thank god), so I was there watching it turn into an affluent area from boondocks. The attitude there now is the most extreme of any snobbiness I've ever encountered. That general area is like no other place I've ever been to in my life. I have family in older areas such as Cherry Hill and Scotch Plains and those areas don't seem nearly as stuck up.

If you're at all like me, meaning that if there is anything in people you can't stand is pure stuck up condescending arrogance, then I'd put Monmouth County at the top of the list of places to stay away from. I'd take Princeton, Summit and Chatham over it any day.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
My husband too provides very well for us. However....we don't have the attitude that some people show when they got a nice amount of money to spend.
Don't take this personally, but I imagine some of the people you would consider snobby would probably say the exact same thing.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Don't take this personally, but I imagine some of the people you would consider snobby would probably say the exact same thing.
No offence taken I was just looking for an 'easy' way to describe our situation. I just don't like people who won't talk to or ignore others that don't have the same income, and I know that whole neighbourhoods can very well act like that. Where the brand of toiletpaper which you wipe your butt with can make the difference. We have a little girl and I just don't want to her to grow up among spoiled brats with attitudes that they took over form their parents.

thankx for your answers!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
listen I live with the hillbillies and they are just if not more disgruntled than the rich. I am sorry, If I had a choice I would take the rich anyday over the angry hillbillies. Please Summit is the bomb!!! I would give my pinky to move to Summit. You are one lucky, I am just waiting there to get to the SNOBS!!! MY time will come. I have lived so frugal and when I get with the snobs ohh its gonna be fun.

Seriously now, its not like that. Look for the ones like me, rich with character. Personality, off the beaten path, crunchy granola types, trust fund kids, You will find friends in all types of neighborhoods. Take up some liberal cause, plenty of rich do that. Listen here is the best advise I can offer, If I can make friends with the hillbillies, Im sure you can make friends with the SNOBS! The only thing that interest my neighbors and believe me its not my fancy car, its my Dyson Vacuum, they are amazed by the motor suction!! So there is always some materialist thing to have in common or peak interest with the neighbors, mine is the vacuum!!!

Ohh no here comes my friend on that lawn tractor gotta go, he is giving me a ride to the store for lottery tickets!!

You will be fine just go with Summit!! Hope I made you laugh, your just getting last minute jitters. Good luck!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 03-31-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM

42 posts, read 76,418 times
I live in the trailer park of an extremely, extremely affluent area. I'm talking million dollar lakefront 3-story houses affluent. I get looked down a lot by some areas, but at the same time I have met a lot of very nice, very "open-minded" rich people because some of the affluent areas are in the deep country where there is less of a "New York chic" area and attitude.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM

steve you most definately made me laugh!!! one thing though (I got little lost in translation, I'm Dutch, so English not native language) what are these : "off the beaten path, crunchy granola types"?

Oh and I'm fascinated by your Dyson too!! I just told my husband 2 days ago that I want one, and that is not a lie.

Last edited by snoep; 03-31-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey