Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:25 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,006,483 times

Advertisements

OK. So we probably won't be going on vacation this year and so are taking little mini-staycations with the kids around the area, trying out different attractions.

First up - Six Flags.

Admittedly, the real attraction to SFGA is the large number of roller coasters and we went with a 6 year old and 8 year old which pulled them off the table. Also the roller coasters attract a large teen crowd which kind of clashes with "family entertainment". With that in mind, I still was pretty unhappy with the visit although I've heard the park has improved in recent years.

Here are my impressions:

1. Getting into the park is a slow Moderator cut: Language nightmare. There was a bottleneck at the parking entrance to pay and then a bottleneck at the park entrance to pay, and then another bottleneck at security. Took us over an hour to get in. Why not just pay for both parking and tickets at the first entrance booth like in other places?? Wasn't that what they used to do??? And widen the security entrance to have more stations and faster flow.

2. Price. Aaargh. Even with discounts, it felt excessive. Not because of the entrance price per se, but the extras, $15 for parking, fees for many attractions, high price of food and snacks ($5.50 for Dippen Dots?).

3. What's with all the arcades? If I want to go to the Shore, I'll go to the Shore. I'm sure they're a money earner, but over 50% of the "attractions" seem to be arcades. Take them away and the park begins to look pretty sparse and less value.

4. Could use a lick of paint and some rust removal. And prettier landscaping. Looking very dated, theming is unexciting. They need to invest in a little imagination.

5. I realize that even in a recession, staff may be hard to find, but people who actually speak English might be useful. The raft of Chinese workers appear to be very cheerful though it was strange to see them high fiving and smiling at riders who didn't reciprocate. Tough crowd.
I do wonder why they aren't pushing for more local staff through the department of Labor. We have 10% unemployment in the area. It's not great work, but it's a paycheck and a routine.

6. Aaargh, the lines. Inefficient ride organization. Long lines with rides operating half empty because nobody told people to bunch up. Everything under capacity. Guess they want you to really WANT to pay for that fast track thing. (over $30).

7. Middle aged kids don't have many options. Take away the thrillers and the little kid rides (there ARE plenty of those) and there isn't much left. Get rid of a few arcades and put in some better rides for that middle set and it would be better. Plus it would give more to do for people sick of waiting for the thrillers.

8. Closed rides. Given the low number of rides that fit our family (maybe 5 or 6), having 2 closed, the Congo and Runaway Train really cut a dent in what we could do. I've heard this is a problem with the thrillers too. They take your money, they should provide the service. Period.

9. Can't resist - hordes of horny teenagers making out is hard to mesh with "family friendly". Don't know how they can fix this.

10. Food could offer more variety and better pricing.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'd like to hear other opinions and also comparisons of other local attractions. I hear mixed reviews of Hershey, Dorney and other places so would like to hear more before I shell out big bucks for more days out.

Before going we did consider whether to get season passes as we live only 40 minutes away. Glad we didn't.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-03-2010 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
We stick to the safari. Kids love it.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:03 PM

153 posts, read 487,222 times
Haven't been there in years, but the crowd is representative of modern society, really. Not a lot of manners and tons of PDA everywhere. The staff, from what I recall, was always pretty good though.

When all the bus trips from the inner city areas of Philly and NYC show up for the summer, then the fun really starts from what I can recall. I don't envy the security guards when a fist fight breaks out over line cutting.

It always annoyed me that a one-day ticket was about as much as a season ticket, too. They've kinda jumped the shark, IMO.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
I've never really liked that place. My son enjoyed the safari when he was little. I took him back when he was a bit older for the rides and he was just the wrong age - too big for the kiddie rides, a bit frightened of the coasters. We spent much of the day evaluating rides, most which he refused to go on. He was upset, angry with me because I talked him in to a couple which frightened him.

When he was a teen he went there for the day with his friends and had a great time. I guess he was one of the horny teenagers in the park that day.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 10,718,386 times
An 8 year old is a weird age for an amusement park. I think you will have that problem everywhere unless he is tall enough to ride the coasters.

I really enjoy the roller coasters there. I agree with the crowd being a little scummy. Especially when they get loads of people from Newark, etc bussed in. As for high food prices, that is to be expected.

Dorney Park is probably a better pick if someone is in your specific scenario in North Jersey, but from South Jersey its quite a ride.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,144,600 times
I used to go to Great Adventure a lot, however, last time, which was 5 years ago, I noticed it was going down hill alot- Seedy crowd. Alot of kids bused in, city people from inner city areas, people walking around cursing and acting not so classy or respectful, and a alot of gang looking people ....

your kids are young, take them to Hershey Park, Sesame Place, Bronx Zoo .... Great Adventure just seems so scary last time I was there.

WildWood is fun for a weekend and you can find great rates on hotels if you really shop around ....

Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,629,092 times
My kids are 15, almost 16, and they ALWAYS have a season pass to GA. The mostly go on weekdays or cloudy days but its as much a part of our daily summer lives as the beach. We live close enough to just go for the morning or late evening when its less crowded. The only time it gets kind of gross (due to behavior or cleanliness) is on weekends or big holidays. Then you wouldnt catch us anywhere near it.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 AM

14 posts, read 34,606 times
Last time we went there a total waste. Lots of line jumping, fights and so on. Never will we return. Better places I suggest. Dorney park. Hershey or Seseame place.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,969 times
Personally, I think 6 flags is too expensive and I prefer going to the boardwalk half the time

Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,591,624 times
Take them to Knoebels.

Knoebels Amusement Resort

You can get a room at the Danville Red Roof in for 60 bucks

NO Admission
NO Parking Fee
NO long lines
You can bring food there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey