Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 116,393 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Chicago too New York. I have a job at Wall Street. Figured in last couple of days that finding an affordable place to live close to Wall Street could be quite a challenge. Recommend buildings/areas to live.

Here is what we are looking for.

•Total commute time 30-40 minutes
•We prefer new constructions (with good appliances and lot of windows and sun shine)
•Minimum 800 sq feet area.
•2500 rent + amenities + parking(parking is optional if we are keeping the car)
•Don’t have any particular preference of an apartment or a town house
•Love to keep my car. I will let it go if it’s a must.
•Very safe neighborhood.

Please make your suggestions. What are the tax implications of working in NYC and living in New Jersey? Please recommend any websites. Write the websites like mydomain dot com or else mods will block them.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh one more thing, make a list of things that you want from Chicago. We want to make some new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 02:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,441,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_summer View Post
We are moving from Chicago too New York. I have a job at Wall Street. Figured in last couple of days that finding an affordable place to live close to Wall Street could be quite a challenge. Recommend buildings/areas to live.

•We prefer new constructions (with good appliances and lot of windows and sun shine)
•Very safe neighborhood.

Please make your suggestions. What are the tax implications of working in NYC and living in New Jersey? Please recommend any websites. Write the websites like mydomain dot com or else mods will block them.

Oh one more thing, make a list of things that you want from Chicago. We want to make some new friends.

Check out The riverwalk complex in Rahway
It has all that you mentioned

Also
Can you stop at the Naval base and pick up my son (or at least wave in that direction)
He enlisted a few weeks back

Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM

202 posts, read 991,191 times
Good god, enough with the Rahway spam. What is it with you and jstar (who incessantly pimps Elizabeth). Elizabeth is a dump and Rahway is only slightly better.

Door-to-door commute time from Rahway to Wall St will be more like 60 minutes rather than 30-40.

The only 30-40 minute commutes from NJ to Wall St are in Jersey City/Hoboken near a PATH station or Edgewater/Weehawken near a ferry terminal.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,183,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
Good god, enough with the Rahway spam. What is it with you and jstar (who incessantly pimps Elizabeth). Elizabeth is a dump and Rahway is only slightly better.

Door-to-door commute time from Rahway to Wall St will be more like 60 minutes rather than 30-40.

The only 30-40 minute commutes from NJ to Wall St are in Jersey City/Hoboken near a PATH station or Edgewater/Weehawken near a ferry terminal.
you can get to wall st from atlantic highlands in 35-40 minutes, depending on the the currents, via ferry

Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM

209 posts, read 1,680,608 times
Look in the Paulus Hook section of JC -- by the Exchange Place PATH (4 mins from WTC), with plenty of new construction and apartments and condos in your price range. You could also look at other parts of JC (Newport, maybe other parts of downtown) and Hoboken. Paulus Hook is great though, definitely check it out.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,183,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownjc View Post
Look in the Paulus Hook section of JC -- by the Exchange Place PATH (4 mins from WTC), with plenty of new construction and apartments and condos in your price range. You could also look at other parts of JC (Newport, maybe other parts of downtown) and Hoboken. Paulus Hook is great though, definitely check it out.
my info is old, but a friend of mine bought a brownstone there and hated the area from day 1, the petty crime and the fact that you get all the problems related to urban living with little of the benefits, it just wasn't a good situation, granted things have changed somewhat since then but there is little excitment there, and you will always be going elsewhere for entertainment.

ymmv

Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 PM

209 posts, read 1,680,608 times
The Paulus Hook area has changed a lot in the last 5 years or so--virtually the entire area, with the exception of some older brownstones which have been restores, has been converted from industrial to new condo buildings. And considering that Paulus Hook is the most expensive part of JC to live in (and more expensive than much of Hoboken), it's hard to say that you get the worst parts of urban living without the benefits. At least today, it's probably more accurate to say that you get the quiet of a suburb with the convenience of being close to the city. And while I can't speak to safety years ago, crime is not a huge problem in Paulus Hook, with the occasiional car break-in the biggest problem.

The area has decent neighborhood amenities but nothing like Hoboken in the way of bars and nightlife. But then again, a lot of people like that is a quiet area that's incredibly close to Manhattan. Especially when you're over 25 and don't want to relive your college days every weekend.

For people who want to be close to the city for work and who also go into the city for their entertainment on the weekends, downtown JC is a good place. If you want tons of bars right at your door, Hoboken (especially near the southern half od Washington St) is a better choice.

The advantage I find in downtown JC is that you can have a mostly quiet neighborhood but still be close to the PATH--whereas in Hoboken to get a bit of quiet you have to live a bit farther from the PATH, which makes commuting a pain.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,290,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_summer View Post

•Very safe neighborhood.

I am not EHS, I am his brother-in-law, working at JP Morgan Chase at Newport Jersey City and 4 New York Plaza (Wall St area) before.

It seems to me Newport is your best choice. Take a look at this site NewportVoice.org — The Voice of Newport**|**Welcome and you will realized all your requirements met seemlessly.

I had to go to Wall St office often and I took ferry from Newport, behind our office at Washington St, and I talked to many people always when I taking ferry. I know quite a few people living at Chicago area who got IT contracts at Wall Street and renting apartment at Newport. They all chose these area has reasons.

There are many brand new apartment building at your price range (yes, when I have nothing to do during lunch time, one of my hobby is to check out these apartment building), but I personally like Avalon Cove much more than other new towners, why, it is the earliest one with nice swimming pool, tennis court, nice view, next to boardwalk on Hudson River ...etc.

Across street is nice Newport Center Mall where we eat lunch all the time with many nice stores like Macy's ... It also has nice big Cinema. Nearby also has brand new Target and Modell.

The PATH Newport station is right next by, and there are nice Courtyard, Doubletrees, Hyatt, Candlewoods ...etc. When your friends visit you, you can take them to Hyatt to Vue restaurants to get the best Manhattan view thru Light Weight Rail. that can take you easily to Hoboken, to Liberty State Park which has a newly expanded Liberty Science Center going to grand reopen.

You can take PATH to Nework to visit Nework Museum, to nice Performing Art Center, and attend NJ Symphony Orchestra. Of course, PATH is 24 hour and you will sure to have easy access to NYC museums, events, ...etc.

The parking may need $200 to $300 a month depending on which lot you got, but that is the price for people making good money at Wall St. You really do NOT need a car since you can always rent a car when you need travel. In the Greater NYC area, you have Subway (within NYC), PATH (between NJ and NYC) and NJ Transit (within NJ).

If you go to Barnes & Noble Hoboken, you can get a book of 100 places worth to see in NJ, and you will have very good time to visit from Jersey City without car.

You can very easily to go to Atlantic City, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Boston, CT ...etc with train.

And in the area, there are lots of great restaurants, including my favorite Confucious Restaurant. If you read Chinese, every time you eat there, you can have a quick review of many important Confucious sayings on the wall. If you read Chinese, the grocery stores nearby also sell World Journal, the largest Chinese newspaper in the US.

I almost can guarantee that you will like the area since, as I said, I know many people from ferry and PATH who came from Chicago living here at Newport.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,441,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post

I just happen to like where i live

What first hand experience of Rahway do you have that makes
you think it is so bad

Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 AM

202 posts, read 991,191 times
BrianG, look at the title of this thread.

"Living in JERSEY CITY". Then you start posting about Rahway, even though he says JERSEY CITY and a 30-40 minute commute. You basically try to hijack half the threads and try to encourage everyone to move to Rahway. It's annoying.

You -- just like jstar -- clearly have an agenda beyond "I like where I live". This is a forum for opinions and experiences, not real estate agents and real estate investors who want to profit from creating demand in the undesirable towns in which they invest and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey