Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 AM

157 posts, read 780,613 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Hunterdon county (too rural for me, don't want regional high schools, family still there so don't want to be far). We started a family and lived for many years in Westfield, and loved it. We have been in DC for three years.

Now, we are moving back. We want to spend less $$ than we have been on a home, so want to open the search in hopes of finding something decent in our price range (500-600k). Right now I am focusing on Bernardsville, Bedminster, Peapack, Far hills, etc. Possibly Basking Ridge.

Any thoughts on the community feel and the schools in these areas? I have an elementery and a middle schooler. What middle schools feed into Bernardsville's high school? Is it tough for the kids who aren't from Bedwell?

We are heading to NJ for a long weekend in 2 weeks to look around....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM

127 posts, read 544,437 times
Very good choice of towns. Bernardsville's high school (Bernards High) serves children from Bernardsville, Bedminster, Far Hills and Peapack/Gladstone. Basking Ridge (Bernards Twp) has its own high school (Ridge High).

Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 104,898 times
NJmom8 You couldn't of picked a nicer area to move into... Make sure you are familiar with the property taxes in each town prior to commiting to a price. If you like feel free to send me a pm with what you are looking for in a home I will search MLS for you and send you some examples. I am a Realtor in Hillsborough and service Somerset, Hunterdon and part of Union counties.

I would send you the tax rates but it is late and there are alot to research Prices have skyrocketed in areas. I am about to list ina standard ranch in Westfield for example 3 br 2 bath full unfinished basement property taxes are $13,256 this year. Home was built in 1955. Same house 4 blocks over taxes are $9,000 thats a $320 something dollar a month difference or 30,000 difference on your purchaseprice to maintain same payment.

You really have to be a numbers person these days and do your homework. The spring market is here and my office is kicking on all cylinders again. Best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey