Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times

Advertisements

This is something I've always wondered about, and well honestly been thankful for that my name comes in with a relatively small amount of characters.

Similarly, there seems to be a character limit on town names. When I moved and changed my address, DMV sent me the stickers to apply to the back of my license. My town is printed as "East Rutherfor NJ". Wonder if it will print in full when I renew this summer, or if maybe it can be adjusted to "E Rutherford"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,835 times
My Name is also ten letters but only 9 characters were printed in the driving license .they stated they have a character limitation in the system.. Increase the limits you .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristo View Post
My first name is 10 letters long, and in my state of NJ, only 9 letters are allowed on the driver's license. Anybody ever have a problem like this (airport security)?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
The dmv software only has a limited field. In some cases I've seen names that were truncated. But it would have to be a fairly long name as Hispanic names are routinely three names from what I've seen and they fit.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:04 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
More than two names I find sometimes annoying, like if you say you are abc-xyz, then are you abc or xyz?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
My full legal name is NOT on my Drivers license. I simply filled out my paperwork with how I wanted my name to appear and that's what they used. The only place my full legal name is used is on my SSN, Taxes, Birth Certificate and Passport. Every other bill, document, title, lease, loan, credit card, W4, paystub, etc, uses the name as I have it on my license.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 AM

228 posts, read 1,204,479 times
My legal first name is 11 characters long so the last 2 letters are dropped off. When I book domestic flights and don't want to bring my passport I have to fill in the passenger info so it matches my license exactly. If I ever forget and put my full name I'm looking at dealing with a TSA hassle. What I don't understand is that there is PLENTY of room on my license to extend this limit to 20 or probably even 30 characters.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,490 times
Angry Fewer spaces for first name on Drivers License

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristo View Post
My first name is 10 letters long, and in my state of NJ, only 9 letters are allowed on the driver's license. Anybody ever have a problem like this (airport security)?
This is a tragedy that NJ has only 9 digits to accommodate for the first name. Last name is usually accommodated in full length. Being a banker we often request this from borrowers as this is a discrepancy. Unfortunately, there is no such document that can verify such practice by any MVC or DMV. That makes us mad.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Drivers licenses are for driving. We all, all of us including so called government and officials got used to basing everything on driving. Identification, financial applications, hey. This should be remedied by just making it optional to show a driver license for any ID. Its supposed to be for driving.

I mean you go to return something in many stores and they ask for a driver license? You walked to the counter, you didn't drive to it?

Same for airports, customs, etc.

We as humans became entrenched in this idea and nefarious terrorist activities made everyones fear grow towards further acceptance.

Be Free

Old 09-02-2016, 10:06 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
My SS has my full middle name, my DL has my middle initial.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,490 times
Captne76- surprised at your logic that Driver's Lic is only for Driving". By WHO? and for who? The person who is identified by incomplete, wrongful information on a state issued ID !!
The use of DRL for various identifications is based upon the information it contains about an individual. May be you want to decipher the DRL codes, information on it and you would be amazed how much it reveals about you. This is why DRL is the best concise ID of any individual. After one's passport DRL is the most authentic ID for any person to have in possession with his/her picture on it. If our govt. departments can not issue it properly than it should not be called an ID.

Think of the circumstances where a driver with distorted information commits a driving violation that cost someone enormous amount of grief, life and other dire circumstances. Think if that driver is not arrested due to missing information on the DRL or there are multiple people with similar incomplete information that can be challenged in the court of law.
In nutshell it has to be fixed since, people from all ethnicity, faith and geographical areas are welcomed into this great nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: