Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Kids like to play games and run through peoples yards. Its part of being a kid. I remember as a kid I would cut through some guys yard to go to my friends because if I went that way, it was like 1/10 of a mile away. Compared to Half a mile or so if I were to walk along the roads.

A lot of you guys really need to lighten up. No one is going to sue you if some kid scrapes his leg cutting through your property.... That is ridiculous
You know you are talking about New Jersey and not someplace in Iowa or Kansas, right?

Sure kids cut through yards. And you are right that it is part of being a kid... A kid who hasn't been trained by his or her parents to respect the property of others.

If the kid hasn't been taught how to respect others by their parents, my money is on the parents trying to sue the property owner for pain, suffering, doctor's bills, etc. simply because the parents will look to place the blame on a third party and never on themselves for not teaching their child how to behave.

In PA, I've had my fair share of adults traipsing through my property during hunting season in search of game. It wasn't until I put up my "Private Property" signs and took out an ad in the local paper telling people my property was off-limits for hunting that people stopped.

Bottom line for me in all this: The OP owns the property. He has the right to set reasonable ground rules on what happens on his property and that includes who can use the property and for what purpose. His neighbors, both adults and kids, need to respect that. As long as he conveys those ideas to his neighbors in an equally respectful manner to the neighbors, then should respect that. If they don't, they are the ones who fail at being good neighbors.

To the OP: an issue crossed my mind in terms of the path that is being used. Do you know if that path is, in fact, an actual path established as part of the original development or instituted as part of a pathway system within the town? It's rare that this would be the case in older developments, but you may want to check with the town to be certain.

Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Why do you even care if they draw chalk on your driveway?

I mean I am with you on the snow thing, but its not gonna snow anytime soon.

I would relax and stop worrying about it.
Maybe because they could fall and get hurt on his property, and then those darling parents will be sueing. I taught my children not to do things like that.
I think the op should have a talk with the parents. Its his private property, and someone elses kids should not be on it.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Perhaps to you..to me it comes down to parents not teaching children boundaries.....have tons of kids in my neighborhood and have never had a problem like this.
I NEVER allowed my children to run all over the neighbors lawn or driveway unless they were invited.
When walking my dog I don't allow her to pee on anyone's lawn and I pick up her waste, it comes down to COMMON courtesy which seems to have fallen by the wayside this day & age...
I agree with you on this. My children never caused a problem because they were taught correctly.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,754 times
My kids are angels..I visit them once every month in the pen. And I always refuse to give them on any visit pot..cell phones with a pre-paid card is ok..no pot..pills ..depends on what type..and coke (non-soda type)..only if your sniffing it..smoking it harms the lungs!

Yup all parents say their kids are angels...LMAO!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
..I yelled at those kids and they ran like hell!..Yes I'm not polite (but not an idiot either)!
and the kids didn't sue for emotional distress? in NJ?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
it comes down to COMMON courtesy which seems to have fallen by the wayside this day & age...
before you get too high up on that horse, does teaching common courtesy include teaching your kids to pay others for their services? (I'm following another thread ) It's all perspective.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
before you get too high up on that horse, does teaching common courtesy include teaching your kids to pay others for their services? (I'm following another thread ) It's all perspective.
HOW dare you!!!! If you are referring to the thread where some one asked about filing BK with out a lawyer and I mentioned my adult daughter YOU HAVE NO CLUE as to what her circumstances were at the time....but from reading other posts by you I'll just chalk it up to the source

Last edited by njkate; 04-09-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
My kids are angels..I visit them once every month in the pen. And I always refuse to give them on any visit pot..cell phones with a pre-paid card is ok..no pot..pills ..depends on what type..and coke (non-soda type)..only if your sniffing it..smoking it harms the lungs!

Yup all parents say their kids are angels...LMAO!
Nope not angels by any stretch, but when caught did suffer the consequences.....

Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Here's my issue with this... you likely bought that house because you enjoyed the "feel" of that community... part of that feel is the concept of "community" property. I know growing up we used to play tag over a 4 square block area because all the neighborhood kids participated... sure, there were people without kids, but it was part of living in that area... there were kids around, there were kids on bikes, kids walked across lawns, kids cut corners, that's what kids do. It's not malicious, if they knew they were causing damage in doing it they likely wouldn't... they aren't spray painting his house.

If you bought in that area because you liked the "community" feel of it... but now are refusing to actively participate in that "community" feel, I think that's an issue. If you wanted to be in an area with strict boundaries, you probably should have targeted that sort of community. It almost sounds like you're trying to use the neighborhood without giving back to it. I agree with others, lighten up. Hell, get the parents to sign a disclaimer if the lawsuits are such a big deal. But grass? Serious... it's grass, it's green... if you like that more then the smile on a kid's face as they play, you have some issues.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 AM

201 posts, read 619,508 times
A collegue at work told me about a neighbor who was playing in his yard. He did'nt mind but the kid fell down off a tree and broke his leg. The next thing was the kid's parents sued my collegue's insurance company. They went to court for two years before the insurance company settled with the kid's parents for 80,000. Can you believe that, 80k for a broken leg? By the way this was in New Jersey, Old Bridge. The collegue hated seeing his homeowner's insurance almost double next year. So in this litgaous society of ours I would say stay away from my property and if they don't just call the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey