Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit1 View Post
We have a private home 50 ft. From our neighborhood bike and walk park. Our new neighbor has 2 boys- ages 8-10. The boys are constantly riding there bikes on my driveway. Today I backed straight out of my garage, not knowing that one boy was riding his bike on my driveway, and I literally almost ran over the boy. I was in my driveway no where close to the sidewalk or street when I backed out. If I had accidentally ran over the boy who would be liable?
You would. Whenever operating a motor vehicle, it is up to you to exercise due care in its operation. Due care in your situation means observing the rear view mirror and operating the vehicle in reverse at a slow enough speed to safely be able to stop should something suddenly and unexpectedly appear behind you. Whether it is the marauding 8 year olds, the postman, the dog, or your mother.

Your hatred of the invasive kids is a separate issue from operating a motor vehicle in such a way as to eliminate liability for anticipated casualties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Kid gets hurt on your property...lawsuit!

Slips on ice, whatever.... lawsuit.

Hurt climbing over your fence...lawsuit

Tell the parents not the kids....

Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You would be, of course.
I am actually amazed that you have any doubt about your liability for running over someone while driving your car.

Yes, the child contributed to the problem by trespassing on your property, but you are supposed to make sure that there is nobody in back of your car when you drive in reverse, just as you are supposed to verify that there is nobody in front of your car when you drive it forward. Where you are driving has nothing to do with your responsibility to do this.

Edited to add:
You might want to consider adding a backup camera to your car, as aftermarket devices of this nature are available for a not-unreasonable cost.

My car has a factory-installed backup camera, and the aiming of the wide-angle lens is such that I can clearly see things directly below my rear bumper, as well as to the rear and--to some extent--to the sides. An aftermarket device is not likely to have the 7 inch display screen that a factory-installed device has, but it will still be helpful in avoiding potential problems and liabilities.
My friend visited me the other day in a rented Infiniti after a garbage truck backed into her car and it went to the shop. The Infiniti had a backup camera. It's pretty amazing. Now I want one, too.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My friend visited me the other day in a rented Infiniti after a garbage truck backed into her car and it went to the shop. The Infiniti had a backup camera. It's pretty amazing. Now I want one, too.
I really like the backup camera. Yes, a legal disclaimer appears on the screen, saying something like...Check behind your car prior to backing up...but that is just a CYA statement. In reality, turning my head to look backward would never show as big a visual field as I get from that video camera.

These devices are beginning to appear as standard equipment on more and more cars lately.
The new Honda Accord sedans all have a backup camera, and I believe that some other sedans may have them also. These devices have been available on SUVs for a few years.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
What ever happened to grabbing a rake, running out front, and yelling "Damn kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!?"

Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 33,267 times
good fences make good neighbors

Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11 View Post
good fences make good neighbors
Ah, a Robert Frost fan. Me too.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit1 View Post
We have a private home 50 ft. From our neighborhood bike and walk park. Our new neighbor has 2 boys- ages 8-10. The boys are constantly riding there bikes on my driveway. Today I backed straight out of my garage, not knowing that one boy was riding his bike on my driveway, and I literally almost ran over the boy. I was in my driveway no where close to the sidewalk or street when I backed out. If I had accidentally ran over the boy who would be liable?
You really need to speak to the parents about this. Why aren't those brats riding in the bike and walk park?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What ever happened to grabbing a rake, running out front, and yelling "Damn kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!?"
LOL. When I was a kid, a mean old lady used to come out on her front porch and yell at us to stay off her lawn...when we were on the sidewalk in front of her house walking home from school.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. When I was a kid, a mean old lady used to come out on her front porch and yell at us to stay off her lawn...when we were on the sidewalk in front of her house walking home from school.
I expect one of the few high points of aging is to be able to pull that off. Another 10 years... maybe I should get a couple of John Deere hats now to give them that authentic worn look. Already have a rusty old rake :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey