Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM

85 posts, read 178,087 times

Advertisements

Toll roads and bridges may be the single WORST idea I've ever seen. Not because of the cost (while annoying)....the real problem with tolls is the tremendous loss of time especially during rush hour. There's also a "danger factor" every time you pull into and out of one of these toll booths and have to change lanes.

Get rid of them!!! Need to make up the revenue? Then raise the gas tax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhilsPhan View Post
Toll roads and bridges may be the single WORST idea I've ever seen. Not because of the cost (while annoying)....the real problem with tolls is the tremendous loss of time especially during rush hour. There's also a "danger factor" every time you pull into and out of one of these toll booths and have to change lanes.

Ez Pass..most toll roads now have the ezpass overhead..no booth..no slow down

Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 AM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Get an EZ-Pass, Einstein! And learn to drive so lane changes aren't an inherently dangerous maneuver.

And no, I'm not going to pay more in gas just to let people from PA (and half the northeast's commercial traffic) just waltz through. I'm not pro-toll by any means, but there's no way in hell I'm paying for the revenue shortfall of eliminating turnpike tolls

Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 AM

324 posts, read 668,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhilsPhan View Post

There is something called an EZ Pass to reduce time.

Welcome To E-ZPass

Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM

50 posts, read 77,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Get an EZ-Pass, Einstein! And learn to drive so lane changes aren't an inherently dangerous maneuver.

And no, I'm not going to pay more in gas just to let people from PA (and half the northeast's commercial traffic) just waltz through. I'm not pro-toll by any means, but there's no way in hell I'm paying for the revenue shortfall of eliminating turnpike tolls
Right

But he probably doesn't want to be registered with EZ-Pass because "That's just what THEY want", and would rather try and drop a $10 bill in the Exact Change lanes...

Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
NJ is a state that NEEDS toll roads. A good chunk of the traffic on the NJTP and the bridges is people simply driving through the state. Without the tolls, we would be left to foot the bill of repairing roads that are mainly for other peoples use.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
NJ is a state that NEEDS toll roads. A good chunk of the traffic on the NJTP and the bridges is people simply driving through the state. Without the tolls, we would be left to foot the bill of repairing roads that are mainly for other peoples use.
YAY!!! Three cheers for tax increases to pay for maintenance on 340 miles of roadway that half the state's residents don't even use!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
EZ Pass does not work if there is tons of traffic in front of the tolls. Also, enjoy paying EZ Pass a monthly fee just for using it. Also, NJ will be paying your taxes for years to come on all the corruption that when into installing it.

So, for those praising EZ Pass - enjoy spending your hard earned money on it.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Electronic Tolling might replace all NYC toll booths by 2015 or 17 and all NJ booths by 2020 its a rumor going around......and more toll roads around the state. I-80 east of Dover , I-78 Express lanes , & a few others.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
EZ Pass does not work if there is tons of traffic in front of the tolls. Also, enjoy paying EZ Pass a monthly fee just for using it.
It doesn't work if there are a million geniuses like you and the OP blocking ALL lanes trying to squeeze into the cash-only lanes

And the nominal monthly fee ($1/month) is more than made up for just by getting a single off-peak discount at any of the major roads/tunnels/bridges - a discount not available with cash. I SAVE money and time whenever I have to go through a tollway/bridge and use ezpass.

Quote:
So, for those praising EZ Pass - enjoy spending your hard earned money on it.
Nothing comes for free. All the roads and bridges you see, they'll be paid for completely with tax dollars or subsidized by toll revenue. Do you want to pay more in income, property or gas taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey