Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times

Advertisements

I was there once, sometime in my late high school years. I really don't remember much about the park, but I do remember riding the alpine slide. I didn't quite get the hang of the stick until the end of the ride and crashed into the cars at the bottom. I remembered that you pulled back on the stick to move and to go faster and let it go to coast to a stop. I didn't realize until later that if you pushed the stick forward, it would brake your cart and stop faster.

Last edited by TechGromit; 07-12-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
I used to go there with my cousins when I was kid. I prefered it over Great Adventure because you weren't strapped down during the rides plus the water element. The Colorado River was probably my favorite ride even though I almost got knocked outta the raft once while in the cave and our raft flipped over in another incident. I'm amazed that place didn't drown in a pool of lawsuits.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM

267 posts, read 950,380 times
Ha...loved that place! I rode the alpine slide and flew off of the thing. I've never been so scraped up in all of my life. It was the first ride of the day too so I had to suck it up the rest of the way. The Colorado River ( I think that's what it was called ) was the greatest. My friends and I used to bail out of the raft intentionally. The cliff dive was the scariest thing on earth to me back then.

Great memories.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,528 times
I distinctly remember one blazing hot summer day, doing the Tarzan swing and landing into that water- so cold it had to have been just above freezing.

The Alpine SLide was insane. I saw a guy in front of me careen out of the half pipe and across the "median". Being the ever-caring teenager, I zoomed right past him. I wonder if he's still there?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 661 times
Default Action park video

Quote:
Originally Posted by conzmoleman View Post
We are an independent documentary film production seeking to interview anybody (especially New Jersey residents) who have been to the legendary Action Park in Vernon, NJ between 1978 and 1996.

Have you or a friend ever been injured there? Ridden the famous looping waterslide? Worked there one summer? We would love for you to tell your Action Park story!

Email ActionParkDoc at gmail.com if you would like to be a part of documenting one of the world's most unique and dangerous theme parks, and a quintessential piece of NJ history. Whether you have a story, pictures, home video, or know some good people to talk to - please drop us a line.

Cheers,
Action Park: The Documentary
I wish I saw this post a few years ago. I just watched you great documentary on action park

I wish I could having gotten you my Video of my 6 and ten year old kids almost blown out of a ride called the pallidrome . Which was a giant air machine that with special suit u put on allowing you to simulate flying

Most who tried it had trouble after a two minute instruction lesson learning the correct technique but

One of my kids was a natural. But he was too good and almost flew up a out of the area till he was just caught by the operator Like everyone there we thought it was great although looking back way to dangerous

Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imup2late View Post
I wish I saw this post a few years ago. I just watched you great documentary on action park

I wish I could having gotten you my Video of my 6 and ten year old kids almost blown out of a ride called the pallidrome . Which was a giant air machine that with special suit u put on allowing you to simulate flying

Most who tried it had trouble after a two minute instruction lesson learning the correct technique but

One of my kids was a natural. But he was too good and almost flew up a out of the area till he was just caught by the operator Like everyone there we thought it was great although looking back way to dangerous
Where did you see it? I would like to see it, too!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,185 times
it was posted on mashable a few months ago, i dont know if it was the original posters documentary but it was new and amazing. i miss the old dangerous action park

Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
I'm in my late 30's and I still have scars on my shoulder and elbows from wiping out on the Alpine slide 27 years ago. They sprayed this pink substance out of a bottle labeled "Hot Stuff" on my peeled shoulders and elbows. I just remember not being able to move my shoulder for a month...

Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM

48 posts, read 78,210 times
I remember the cannonball, going into pitch blackness only to come flying out the side of a cliff into ice cold water. Tarzan swing was crazy & you HAD to get scraped elbows or knees on the alpine slide. Fun!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conzmoleman View Post
We are an independent documentary film production seeking to interview anybody (especially New Jersey residents) who have been to the legendary Action Park in Vernon, NJ between 1978 and 1996.

Have you or a friend ever been injured there? Ridden the famous looping waterslide? Worked there one summer? We would love for you to tell your Action Park story!

Email ActionParkDoc at gmail.com if you would like to be a part of documenting one of the world's most unique and dangerous theme parks, and a quintessential piece of NJ history. Whether you have a story, pictures, home video, or know some good people to talk to - please drop us a line.

Cheers,
Action Park: The Documentary
Is it this???

[dailymotion]x13qzyv_the-most-insane-amusement-park-ever-part-1-of-2_tech[/dailymotion]

If so -- well done I went for my 8th birthday in 1995 and made it out of there without a scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey