Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,901 times

Advertisements

We are an independent documentary film production seeking to interview anybody (especially New Jersey residents) who have been to the legendary Action Park in Vernon, NJ between 1978 and 1996.

Have you or a friend ever been injured there? Ridden the famous looping waterslide? Worked there one summer? We would love for you to tell your Action Park story!

Email ActionParkDoc at gmail.com if you would like to be a part of documenting one of the world's most unique and dangerous theme parks, and a quintessential piece of NJ history. Whether you have a story, pictures, home video, or know some good people to talk to - please drop us a line.

Cheers,
Action Park: The Documentary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Wow. Awesome concept. I'd love to see this.

I went two or three times as a kid to (TR)Action Park in the early 80s. I didn't die, I didn't lose any limbs, but I do remember almost launching into space going down one of those crazy water slides near the speed of light.

Some of our spoiled, sheltered suburban kids could use a theme park like Action Park today to scare the bejeezus out of them. We've made things too soft and easy for them.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
When my son was 10 years old while riding down one of the water slides, one of his testicals went back up. He needed surgery.

How about that one.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 16,178 times
wow I remember going there back in the 80s.

What's it like now? I haven't been up in Vernon in years. Is it still very rural?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 PM

69 posts, read 187,512 times
Omg, I remember going to Action Park as a kid, lol!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob70 View Post
wow I remember going there back in the 80s.

What's it like now? I haven't been up in Vernon in years. Is it still very rural?
Yes, it is very rural.

Mountain creek actually runs a water park using some of the action park stuff. But with more safety precautions presumably.

As for Action Park, it was before my time, but I would like to see this documentary. Please post up a link to where we can watch this once you finish.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I remember 2 things. They had the real lola race cars, not fake look alike lola go-carts, I mean real lola race cars that hit 100MPH. It cost $10 per lap to drive them and every 10th lap was free. So $90 got you 10 laps in a real race car. Oh man they were awesome.

The other thing more thrilling to a young guy was that huge water slide. You just stood at the bottom and every single....not some.....every single girl that came down that thing lost their top. Some really lost it and had to hold their arm across their chest while frantically searching where the water washed their bathing suit top.

The greatest thing of all was that Alpine Slide....hey I even remember the name. You sat in a sled like cart with a hand brake that went between your legs. This brake would control your speed. The track was basically a half cement cove built into the ground. Though all lanes were the same, each had a sign listing one as slow, then faster and fastest. Now what self respecting kid would admit to being athletically incompetent? So some of the slow pokes who rode the brake all the way down would ride the fast lane and would pizz everyone off who wanted to go fast but was stuck behind the slow poke. Many a kid left that ride with some skid marks on their body. Seems the more scrapes and scratches you had the more respect you got from your peers.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Best ride in the history of amusement parks has to be the OLD Colorado River at Action Park. Every trip to action park would include at least 10 times on that river. They used to make you actually carry up the River by yourself. Great Great Times!!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I remember 2 things. They had the real lola race cars, not fake look alike lola go-carts, I mean real lola race cars that hit 100MPH. It cost $10 per lap to drive them and every 10th lap was free. So $90 got you 10 laps in a real race car. Oh man they were awesome.

The other thing more thrilling to a young guy was that huge water slide. You just stood at the bottom and every single....not some.....every single girl that came down that thing lost their top. Some really lost it and had to hold their arm across their chest while frantically searching where the water washed their bathing suit top.

The greatest thing of all was that Alpine Slide....hey I even remember the name. You sat in a sled like cart with a hand brake that went between your legs. This brake would control your speed. The track was basically a half cement cove built into the ground. Though all lanes were the same, each had a sign listing one as slow, then faster and fastest. Now what self respecting kid would admit to being athletically incompetent? So some of the slow pokes who rode the brake all the way down would ride the fast lane and would pizz everyone off who wanted to go fast but was stuck behind the slow poke. Many a kid left that ride with some skid marks on their body. Seems the more scrapes and scratches you had the more respect you got from your peers.
Alpine Slide...way cool!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
Wow, I remember the alpine slide. It one was thrilling but dangerous ride. That kinda ride is a lawsuit waiting to happen now.

I remember my bro had a serious accident on the slide. He was scraped up pretty badly and had various nasty scars on his arms and legs to prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey