Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,985,838 times

Advertisements

There's a great opinion article in today's Wall Street Journal on Christie:

Reaganism, New Jersey Style
I'll just quote the next to last paragraph: "Finally, we have a governor who is as teed off as the rest of us at how government spending and taxes have skyrocketed over the last decade".

The rest of the opinion is factually correct, too bad the union breathen can't accept FACTS.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM

220 posts, read 698,400 times
help the kids? more like help my pockets! horrid. end the union.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM

272 posts, read 294,496 times
Has anyone in NJ gov't offered to take a pay freeze starting with our governor. I think if government takes a pay freeze I think the teachers will be more willing to follow. When the rich feel the pain teachers will be more willing to take a pay freeze.
Gov't spending is out of control but it starts with our leaders to lead with example. The only one he is hurting are the middle class are your taxes going up, are you schools reducing services how many schools with teachers and administrators who took a freeze still have had to make cuts. For all of us in the private sector who have had to take a pay freeze or pay cut did you really do it smiling.
What I don't understand is contracts are negotiated for 3 years I believe. Those contracts that are up this year are the school districts more willing to take a freeze because obviously there is no money to negotiate with. Next year if things are still bad when new contracts are comiing up those teachers again will have to negotiate and get less of a raise or no increase. So as long as the economy is bad the towns and the board of ed will not be approving these big raises that the gov. says the teachers are making. Why such a big fuss why the power struggle.
Christie should of just called on all New Jersey residents to band together to get our state in good shape, every one should pay the price Christie, the gov't, the public workers, since you all say private sector took pay freeze, lets include the big bosses and ceo's and lets include the rich.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,985,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Has anyone in NJ gov't offered to take a pay freeze starting with our governor. I think if government takes a pay freeze I think the teachers will be more willing to follow. When the rich feel the pain teachers will be more willing to take a pay freeze.
Gov't spending is out of control but it starts with our leaders to lead with example. The only one he is hurting are the middle class are your taxes going up, are you schools reducing services how many schools with teachers and administrators who took a freeze still have had to make cuts. For all of us in the private sector who have had to take a pay freeze or pay cut did you really do it smiling.
What I don't understand is contracts are negotiated for 3 years I believe. Those contracts that are up this year are the school districts more willing to take a freeze because obviously there is no money to negotiate with. Next year if things are still bad when new contracts are comiing up those teachers again will have to negotiate and get less of a raise or no increase. So as long as the economy is bad the towns and the board of ed will not be approving these big raises that the gov. says the teachers are making. Why such a big fuss why the power struggle.
Christie should of just called on all New Jersey residents to band together to get our state in good shape, every one should pay the price Christie, the gov't, the public workers, since you all say private sector took pay freeze, lets include the big bosses and ceo's and lets include the rich.
Are you saying that all tax paying citizens in New Jersey are "rich"? That's hardly the case, most tax payers are barely making it, with having no salary increase in the last 2+ years, having to save for our own retirement since there are no pensions at the end of employment, high health insurance costs and to top it all off, paying these outrageous real estate taxes to line the pockets of the "hurting teachers".

Tell me how many fat cat CEO's live in NJ that will make up for the tax shortfall? Be realistic - it's the middle class who are squeezed.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Quote:
I just do not understand this logic at all. Why do you want to penalize some one for being successful or coming from old money....why do you think the rich should be taxed more to make up for the shortfall in the budget especially when the so called rich hardly use any of the systems supported by their taxes....they aren't getting a cut..Corizine added an additional tax on the wealthy to make up for the short fall, that tax is due to expire.

I am by no means even close to being wealthy and I still don't think they should have more taxes added on..they ALREADY pay taxes and hefty ones with the salaries they pull down and the neighborhoods they live in..most sending their kids to private school for a superior education...and you think they should pay more?!?!?

Because of that very mind set you have NJ has lost over $70 BILLION dollars in wealth..the rich are leaving and taking the money with them

Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Reread my post that is not what I intended to say.
My point is if Gov. Christie wants the teachers to take a pay freeze it should start with him. Gov. Christie, the rest of NJ gov't, the public workers as well as the rich who no longer have to pay the millionaire tax should also help bring NJ back. Not just the rich, not just the public workers and def. not the middle class who are feeling all the pain in my opinion. I'm middle class, self employed, pay my own health insurance pay for own retirement and my salary was cut in half in 2008 picked up in 2009 but still 2/3 of what I have made previous years. My health care and everything else has gone up I'm cutting back, living off savings and not saving for retirement.
I don't begrudge teachers they have it better than I ever did.
I didn't mean NJ is all rich and I certainly don't think taxing only the rich will solve our problem. My statement is again if Christie and his cabinet would take a pay freeze, if rich would contribute teachers would be more willing to contribute. According to most of us the private sector middle class jobs were hit the most so they have already been hit.
I personally think the private sector (including myself) has allowed the middle class to be "abused" we all should have unions we all should have pensions. We should be standing together to regain what we have had. Instead the CEO's those on Wall Street keep making the money even when they fail and the middle class just keeps getting pushed down. Christie set it up so middle class are fighting middle class when we should be standing together so we can remain or get back our middle class status. I just think this attack on teachers is only going to hurt the middle class in the private sector. So far even in schools that have taken the pay freeze the cut has caused layoffs and services cut who does that hurt our children. Even with the pay freeze our property taxes will go up. It will be a race to the bottom for the middle class and that will include you if your middle class and me. I feel that once the ceo's and other bosses out there see how Christie is doing things they will be doing it to you no negotiating, job loss, the one person left working will be doing the work of 2 for those who haven't experience thatj. For those who have you will see much deeper cuts.

Everyone wants to jump on the teachers because they have it a little better than we do right now just afraid if we do we will but cutting our own throats in the long run.

Of course we all know what the answer to our problem is JOBS JOBS JOBS. That should be the topic Christie is talking about.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM

220 posts, read 698,400 times
i will gladly pay christie thousands if he can end the BILLION$$ wasted on tax-subsidized inflated pensions of public employees who work "hard," and enjoy their much needed 2 month summer vacation on my dime.

the only question now is if he pulls through.

a ton in this state have had jobcuts and people are complaining they're not getting raises.

i'm all for meritocracy, but i believe most in NJ are not so naive to actually think the money is going to the kids, as opposed to the pockets of principals, teachers, or union managers.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Quote:
Reread my post that is not what I intended to say.
My point is if Gov. Christie wants the teachers to take a pay freeze it should start with him. Gov. Christie, the rest of NJ gov't, the public workers as well as the rich who no longer have to pay the millionaire tax should also help bring NJ back. Not just the rich, not just the public workers and def. not the middle class who are feeling all the pain in my opinion. I'm middle class, self employed, pay my own health insurance pay for own retirement and my salary was cut in half in 2008 picked up in 2009 but still 2/3 of what I have made previous years. My health care and everything else has gone up I'm cutting back, living off savings and not saving for retirement.
I don't begrudge teachers they have it better than I ever did.
I didn't mean NJ is all rich and I certainly don't think taxing only the rich will solve our problem. My statement is again if Christie and his cabinet would take a pay freeze, if rich would contribute teachers would be more willing to contribute. According to most of us the private sector middle class jobs were hit the most so they have already been hit.
I personally think the private sector (including myself) has allowed the middle class to be "abused" we all should have unions we all should have pensions. We should be standing together to regain what we have had. Instead the CEO's those on Wall Street keep making the money even when they fail and the middle class just keeps getting pushed down. Christie set it up so middle class are fighting middle class when we should be standing together so we can remain or get back our middle class status. I just think this attack on teachers is only going to hurt the middle class in the private sector. So far even in schools that have taken the pay freeze the cut has caused layoffs and services cut who does that hurt our children. Even with the pay freeze our property taxes will go up. It will be a race to the bottom for the middle class and that will include you if your middle class and me. I feel that once the ceo's and other bosses out there see how Christie is doing things they will be doing it to you no negotiating, job loss, the one person left working will be doing the work of 2 for those who haven't experience thatj. For those who have you will see much deeper cuts.

Everyone wants to jump on the teachers because they have it a little better than we do right now just afraid if we do we will but cutting our own throats in the long run.

Of course we all know what the answer to our problem is JOBS JOBS JOBS. That should be the topic Christie is talking about.
Ok that makes more sense, as far as the bolded...not me as hubby has already stated if he has to drag me kicking & screaming we will be leaving NJ..of course it will be for early retirement and the proceeds from our home here will pay for something down south out right..I'm just very confused as to where down south..have spent some time this AM on the Austin Tx forums...looking~~~~SIGH~~~~

Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 PM

njkate,
I'm glad I could clear it up. I'm not always the best at expressing myself.

We have friends moving to Arizona. Early retirement. Planning to sell their much more expensive home in NJ to buy a much cheaper home in Arizona with lower property taxes. Their only concern is health care cost. They have family there so that influenced them. Of course they can do it because they made their money in NJ and the equity on their house in NJ or else moving to Arizona with cheaper homes and cheaper taxes may just be relevant to their cheaper salaries once they get there.

Good luck if you decide to move. Someplace warmer always sounds nice to me if one of my children would of ended up more south I would be there in a heartbeat. One in CT. one in NJ I"m staying in NJ, like NJ better then CT. Hope I can afford it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,291,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
John,

Not being snarky but according to your location info you live in Westbury NY so why do you even care???

In addition I never cared for Corizine but in his defense the problems started long before he ever took office
I was thinking of moving to NJ in the future, but with Christie elected I guess I'll just stay put on Long Island. I thought we had our priorities screwed up here. But NJ elects a man who is starting a war with the middle class and the planet. He tells NJ Transit riders to "take a hike", and refuses to raise the gas tax one cent. He's OK with spending state money on useless projects like widening the Garden State Parkway in the pinelands, but yanks funds for a new bus route out of Toms River. I sure thought LI'ers were dumb, but it looks like NJ'ers take the cake for voting for him. I knew Christie would do this before he was elected. You guys had a great alternative with Daggett, and blew it.
Now you can enjoy seeing your middle class go just like ours. Teachers, bus drivers, public servants are the backbone of a community. Once they are gone, things go south fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey