Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,942 times

Advertisements

Montclair, Bloomfield, Belleville, Maywood, Teaneck, Englewood,Morristown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 AM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
How gay friendly would you think the following towns are (omitting the obvious)

Sparta (No)
Millburn (Probably, but I have no personal experience)
Madison (Yes)
Ocean Grove (Probably Not)
Edgewater (Yes)
You have no other criteria, so you should also try Lambertville, Jersey City, and Hoboken.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

315 posts, read 871,154 times
Quote:
You have no other criteria, so you should also try Lambertville, Jersey
City, and Hoboken.
Hoboken- - aint called the 6th boro for nothing--

Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,317 times
I'd add Chatham Borough to your list of possibilities. Quaint walkable downtown, very safe, the schools have consistently been considered top tier, both for NJ as well as nationally for decades. As for gay friendly, I highly doubt you'd experience any issues...heck the current mayor, who has been on the town council for the eight yrs previous to running and being elected mayor in 2012, is an openly gay African American man.

KoalaNJ

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 AM

386 posts, read 871,588 times
Red Bank, Collingswood, Pirnceton, Lambertville, Madison, Montclair.

Asbury Park, Hoboken, Jersey City, Newark, and Trenton have gay communities as well, but have their fair share of gritty areas.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
You do realize this thread is three years old??

Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 PM

334 posts, read 716,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You do realize this thread is three years old??
Yes, everyone does but thank you for the reminder.
To the OP or anyone else with the same question... No one cares if you're gay. What you do behind closed doors is your own business. Maintain your property, be a good neighbor, and you'll do fine anywhere. I have a new next door neighbor who, based upon the "flamboyance" of some of his guests, I believe to be gay. The usual, no women visitors .. Yadda, yadda. He's polite, quiet, and maintains his property. My definition of a good neighbor. I help him with advice about lawn care.
My wife has a nephew who has been "out" for some time. Even as a little kid he was always "that way" and nobody gave it a thought. A few years ago when his mother got sick, had major surgery and was really under the weather, he temporarily moved back home, took over running the house, and took care of his mother. The other kids were "too busy".
OP, no matter where you go you can run into stupid people. Most people aren't. No one is going to hold a parade in your honor because you are gay and no one is going to throw a brick through your window either. Move where you want, be a good neighbor, and you'll be fine.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 PM

107 posts, read 195,719 times
Asbury Park, I went there and saw flags all over the place

Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,818 times
NickySantoro, great post but please realize that some people do mind very much if they have gay folks living near them. Some people still believe that if their "children are exposed to that", bad things will happen. They believe its a lifestyle choice and can be pretty bad neighbors about it. I'm happy to see things change but in certain parts of the USA, we have a ways to go. NJ, for the most part is very accepting.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
NickySantoro, great post but please realize that some people do mind very much if they have gay folks living near them. Some people still believe that if their "children are exposed to that", bad things will happen. They believe its a lifestyle choice and can be pretty bad neighbors about it. I'm happy to see things change but in certain parts of the USA, we have a ways to go. NJ, for the most part is very accepting.
Yep. Just hop a little bit to the west, and this mentality is commonplace here in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey