Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM

17 posts, read 99,555 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where the dividing lines are that determine which high school you'll go to?
We're looking in the area and would rather our kids go to East or North, but I'm not sure how the town is separated.
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
You have to be careful. They can easily change the sending areas based on student population.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
You're right in choosing either North or East. I think you will have to contact the district to find the districting. It is true that re-districting can happen. I also would not necessarily believe what a realtor tells you regarding schools. When I was looking to move a few years ago, the real estate agent was not very forthcoming with school info. She was very selective in what she had to say. I knew better because I was from the area.

If you are interested in a house, and it is not clear which district it falls into, I would call central administration.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM

153 posts, read 488,687 times
The only way to definitively find out would be to call the central office. I don't think they redistrict all that often.

While North and East are both great schools, South isn't that bad. You're just going to get a few undesirables/troublemakers from South Toms River Borough in there. But it's a small enough contingent that I don't believe there is anything to cause significant worry over.

Still, if given a choice, I'd take North or East (in that order).

Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 AM

42 posts, read 175,301 times
wow no love for South, what's up with that?!
what there are no "undesirables" from North or East?!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM

17 posts, read 99,555 times
thanks so much!
I actually rec'd a very quick and thorough response from central admin. for TR schools-I was really impressed with that!
I'm from Ocean County, but just not familiar with all the areas of Toms River...thanks again

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

153 posts, read 488,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
wow no love for South, what's up with that?!
what there are no "undesirables" from North or East?!
There are problem cases in every public school. The issue with South is that there are more problem cases due to the receiving district relationship with South Toms River (which is a different town than Toms River Twp., for anyone interested in this stuff...).

I wouldn't freak out if I had a child and he/she had to go to South. But if I was moving into town and had a choice, it would at least somewhat factor into my decision over where to move.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 AM

347 posts, read 863,592 times
The high schools follow the same patterns as the Inter schools for the most part. HS South is great! Maybe it is a bit more diverse than N or E but same curriculum, etc. Lots of school pride and because the school is located in the downtown the students can walk out for lunch etc. We recently moved from the area but had lived near the hs and it was never a "problem" in any way being near the traffic, students etc. I sort of miss hearing the band or seeing the kids out running for sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey