Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

We currently live in South Orange and are planning on sending our children to Hawthorne Christian Academy in Hawthorne off of Rt 208. Since the commute will be tremendous for us we are considering a move north closer to Hawthorne. My husband works in Long Island City and currently takes the NJ Transit and then the E Train. Can you recommend a town that would be an easy commute for him to get to LIC and and me to get to Hawthorne?? We are looking in the $400,000-$500,000 range.

Also - if we don't sell our house in time for school to start, my husband would be driving my son to school in Hawthorne and then driving to work form there. Are there any driving commuter rates through EZPass or anything or would we be paying out the nose for all the tolls (he's probably take the GW Bridge)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily414 View Post
We currently live in South Orange and are planning on sending our children to Hawthorne Christian Academy in Hawthorne off of Rt 208. Since the commute will be tremendous for us we are considering a move north closer to Hawthorne. My husband works in Long Island City and currently takes the NJ Transit and then the E Train. Can you recommend a town that would be an easy commute for him to get to LIC and and me to get to Hawthorne?? We are looking in the $400,000-$500,000 range.

Also - if we don't sell our house in time for school to start, my husband would be driving my son to school in Hawthorne and then driving to work form there. Are there any driving commuter rates through EZPass or anything or would we be paying out the nose for all the tolls (he's probably take the GW Bridge)
Hawthorne itself has NJ Transit station and residents pay only $2.00 a year to park on the street near the station.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,618 times
I was hoping to find a town on a direct line into Penn Station without a transfer. Anyone know about Wayne, Little Falls, Lincoln Park, Great Notch??

Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Almost everywhere goes into the transfer stop, except the South Orange line. Fair Lawn would be ideal my neighbors went to Hawthorne Christian and they were bused I recall. FL has the train but you need to transfer to go to Penn Station. If I may ask why Hawthorne Christian? Theres plenty of other good options in Essex and the commute in SO is unbeatable.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Yes as nykstev said there are no direct trains on Main or Bergen lines which service that entire area. That is until the new tunnel is completed, right now it is scheduled for 2017 but that will probably be pushed back to 2027 by the time ll is said and done. Fair Lawn or Hawthorne would be a good fit for your budget. I prefer Hawthorne but Fair Lawn is nice too. Not to mention if your kids are in Elementary you can send them to Thomas Jefferson and save all that tuition money, it's consistently ranked in the Top 10 for Elementary schools in the state.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
if you want to take the train to secaucus and transfer it is not a big deal

then fair lawn, glen rock, hawthorne might work

Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Yes as nykstev said there are no direct trains on Main or Bergen lines which service that entire area. That is until the new tunnel is completed, right now it is scheduled for 2017 but that will probably be pushed back to 2027 by the time ll is said and done. Fair Lawn or Hawthorne would be a good fit for your budget. I prefer Hawthorne but Fair Lawn is nice too. Not to mention if your kids are in Elementary you can send them to Thomas Jefferson and save all that tuition money, it's consistently ranked in the Top 10 for Elementary schools in the state.
If a person is planning to send their kids to Hawthorne Christian Academy, it's specifically because they don't want their children in public schools. At one time when I thought I might need to send my kid to a private school because of my location, I checked this school out. In their brochure they make it very clear that they are first and foremost a Christian bible-based school; for example, they make it plain that they do not permit any references to Halloween.

The school is right on Route 208 as part of Hawthorne Gospel Church, so it's easily accessible to Fair Lawn, Glen Rock and of course Hawthorne.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If a person is planning to send their kids to Hawthorne Christian Academy, it's specifically because they don't want their children in public schools. At one time when I thought I might need to send my kid to a private school because of my location, I checked this school out. In their brochure they make it very clear that they are first and foremost a Christian bible-based school; for example, they make it plain that they do not permit any references to Halloween.

The school is right on Route 208 as part of Hawthorne Gospel Church, so it's easily accessible to Fair Lawn, Glen Rock and of course Hawthorne.

Ummm there are lots of reasons to send your kids to private school. Making a blanket statement like that doesn't do anyone any good after all this is a forum. It's meant to give multiple options and multiple viewpoints. Stick to answering the person's question and not looking at, or critiquing, other peoples' answers to the same question. That is the posters job not yours.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post

Ummm there are lots of reasons to send your kids to private school. Making a blanket statement like that doesn't do anyone any good after all this is a forum. It's meant to give multiple options and multiple viewpoints. Stick to answering the person's question and not looking at, or critiquing, other peoples' answers to the same question. That is the posters job not yours.
Got it. You do the same, OK?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 AM

5 posts, read 13,405 times
Hi, we currently live in Hawthorne and will be sending our kids to either HCA or EC. If you are looking for the most convenient commuter town in the surrounding area, I suggest Glen Rock. It has two train lines running through that are within walking distance from each other--boro hall and main line--meaning twice the number of trains throughout the day. It is also a very lovely town. Also to answer your question about Wayne, Little Falls, etc.--I don't know about any of these town's transportation, but Wayne out of those towns is closest to HCA and in my opinion, the only one doable if you are dropping off and picking up your kids every day. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey