Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Since NJT is raising fares , me & my Rail Fanning friends will start driving to the station to fan, but we need to know where the cheap / safe areas are to park. Keep in mind its only for like 1-5hr parking.

Newark Penn Area
Elizabeth Station area
Linden Station
Rahwah Station
New Brunswick Station
South Amboy Station
Morristown Station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM

196 posts, read 648,924 times
there is free parking in clifton

what is rail fanning?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
there is free parking in clifton

what is rail fanning?
The Filming or Photographing of Trains , but Clifton won't do. It has to be on the Northeast Corridor Line. Since there are Trains every 90sec-6 mins ,its the busiest Railway line in North America. But i only want to Film at New Brunswick or Elizabeth since its on a Curve and train tilt there At Rahway or Linden because its located in an Area along the Northeast Corridor called the Raceway , North Jersey Coast line & Amtrak Trains don't stop or rarely stop there and with that comes very high speeds usually there maxes of 90-130mph , nice gust of air on a hot day. Newark offers alot things to film , like Amtrak , NJT , PATH , and Light Rail. And there are sometimes Train jams at rush hour. Morristown because i like the M & E line....

Rush Hour on the Northeast Corridor - Linden station

YouTube - Rush Hour on the Northeast Corridor

Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 PM

i know there is a parking deck across from the elizabeth station but you have to pay, its not that expensive though although i forget exactly how much

not sure about the other stations, it will be hard to find a cheap place to park near newark station unless u park somewhere and take the light rail to pen station

Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM

oh and what does this have to do with the fare raise?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
oh and what does this have to do with the fare raise?
I wouldn't be able to afford the fare to Newark Penn and Back since it would be at least 20$ round trip which is absurd amount. Right now its 7 one way. So driving would be easier and cheaper , but even that during the summer,the gas will be expensive ---sigh--- you just can't win in this state?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM

so nobody knows where the Cheap or free parking around linden, Rahway , North Brunswick , Elizabeth , or Newark Penn is ?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:40 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
so nobody knows where the Cheap or free parking around linden, Rahway , North Brunswick , Elizabeth , or Newark Penn is ?
There is a parking lot directly adjacent to Linden station. I once parked there on a weekend and it was free. Not sure about weekdays. In New Brunswick and Newark there are parking garages and lots, but you will have to pay since they are both in city centers. You might be able to find street parking if you are patient enough and willing to walk. I am not at all familiar with Rahway or Elizabeth stations.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I wouldn't be able to afford the fare to Newark Penn and Back since it would be at least 20$ round trip which is absurd amount. Right now its 7 one way. So driving would be easier and cheaper , but even that during the summer,the gas will be expensive ---sigh--- you just can't win in this state?
Why dont you buy a bunch of tickets now at the old price? One way tickets are good indefinately, I think.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,061 times
Places to park around New Brunswick are pretty tight. If you are looking to be at the station, there is metered parking along Somerset Street at $0.25 for 15 minutes. If you head down Livingston Avenue near Route 1, there are apartment complexes with parking lots that are usually devoid of cars.

Along Jersey Avenue at the station, you have Van Dyke Avenue off Jersey Avenue and 4th Street which is just off Livingston. But neither area is going to be the easiest to find parking space.

As you get into North/South Brunswick, I know the old J&J plant along Route 1 is shut down. Whether or not you can get in behind the buildings to film, I don't know.

If you head down Route 1S and take Black Horse Pike, it will lead you right to the railroad tracks and a long, but flat, expanse of track. Another option in South is Reichler Park which abuts the tracks and has a curve.

Going north of New Brunswick, there is Hampton Park on Middlesex Avenue just off Route 27 and Oakland Park in Metuchen. Both have free parking in the parks and Oakland is on a curve of the tracks.

If you continue on Route 27N you'll parallel the tracks as you know. When you get up to Green St., hang a right and go up one block to Middlesex Turnpike. That becomes Railroad Ave. in Edison and will dump you into Merril Park where you can usually get some good shots.

While it may be a bit of a hike, you should be able to park at Union County College in Elizabeth and walk over to the station, especially on a weekend.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey