Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times

Advertisements

Sooo, basically this is an almost but not quite South Jersey forum...

and they wonder why we complain about not being understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
??? The VAST portion of NJ is suburban, not urban. Very little of this state is urban. NJ is THE most suburban state in the US. You live in Washington township, a quintessential suburb.
I am not sure about population density. I would guess (and I admit it is a guess) most people live in urban areas in NJ.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
This subforum only accounts for 15% of NJ population. It should include trenton and the pinelands. North jersey doesn't know about that area.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
This subforum only accounts for 15% of NJ population. It should include trenton and the pinelands. North jersey doesn't know about that area.

maybe so but Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem counties sure account for over 1/2(3/4??) or south Jersey and that the sub

edit. Just checked and those 4 counties make up 1.37 mil people and the total NJ population is 8.6 milllion so those 4 counties account for over 20% of the whole state of 21 counties..

Last edited by frankgn87; 04-16-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not sure about population density. I would guess (and I admit it is a guess) most people live in urban areas in NJ.
Nah. There are only a handful of "urban" areas in NJ. All of Hudson County. Eastern portions of Essex County. *Maybe* you'd consider some towns in lower Bergen County to be "urban", but generally I wouldn't. Paterson. Elizabeth. Then you've got Camden, Trenton, New Brunswick, and AC as "urban" in Central and Southern NJ. All of that, all together, maybe adds up to about 1.5 - 2 Million people, out of 8 Million NJ residents.

Most of NJ, by population and by geography, is suburban.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Why exactly is South Jersey getting their own forum?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
IMO: 'South Jersey' would've been a better title. It encompasses the entire southern region as some of south Jersey isn't a part of Philly's metro.

Still, good job on the sub-forum creation
I know, it should include Atlantic, Cape May, and whatever other counties are down there, and in NJ we all understand it all to be "South Jersey" - so why didn't they call it that??? Atlantic County, for example, where Atlantic City is, is usually not considered a "suburb of Philly", but the fact is they get most of their visitors from Philly and Philly's suburbs, so it is still a part of "South Jersey" overall and has that Philly connection.

What a long, weird title. But it is good they created it.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I think it's because many south jerseyans here feel crowded out by the north jerseyans, and I agree with them, in the sense that most people speak about NJ from a northern NJ point of view which doesn't match the South jerseyans' experience.

I think it's more than fair. And I plan on visiting that forum as I do like to talk about south Jersey and Philly (except for Philly's sports teams, all of which I loathe in the extreme).

EDITED to add:

I think the best thing would be to have a "New Jersey" forum with "North Jersey" and "South Jersey" (and possibly "Central Jersey) sections. That way, the main "New Jersey" forum would on topics that affect ALL New Jerseyans - like "corslime" or how fat of a whale Christie is, plus the regional subforums would be for regional interests - like the Devils and Giants in North Jersey or the Eggles and Sillies in South Jersey, lol.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 04-16-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I think it's because many south jerseyans here feel crowded out by the north jerseyans, and I agree with them, in the sense that most people speak about NJ from a northern NJ point of view which doesn't match the South jerseyans' experience.

I think it's more than fair. And I plan on visiting that forum as I do like to talk about south Jersey and Philly (except for Philly's sports teams, all of which I loathe in the extreme).

EDITED to add:

I think the best thing would be to have a "New Jersey" forum with "North Jersey" and "South Jersey" (and possibly "Central Jersey) sections. That way, the main "New Jersey" forum would on topics that affect ALL New Jerseyans - like "corslime" or how fat of a whale Christie is, plus the regional subforums would be for regional interests - like the Devils and Giants in North Jersey or the Eggles and Sillies in South Jersey, lol.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not visiting 3-4 forums for a state as small as NJ. As it is, I won't be on the South Jersey forum (I know, they're all crushed, LMAO).

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post

not 'getting'.. 'got'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey