U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM

747 posts, read 2,561,092 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...s-vehicle.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 590 times
I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 1390T since October 2010. It accuratelly gets me to wherever I am going and predicts the arrival time perfectly. However, and you know there is always a however, on many occasions, the route it uses is not the most direct. For instance, whenever I travel on the NJ Turnpike heading North, Garmin wants me to exit first at exit 13a and once I pass this exit, it wants me to exit at 14. My destination requires me to exit at 15E. Which is the fastest and most direct route. When travelling the reverse route, I am not told to exit at these exits. for this reason, I don't trust this device 100%. I usually map out my routes on Mapquest beforehand, just to make sure the Garmin isn't taking me on a wild goose chase. I shouldn't have to do this. I wrote to Garmin about this issue, but it's not been resolved.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,184,908 times
Garmin..hands down. TomTom is just a cheaper version and lesser quality of Garmin. Garmin is #1 is USA. Now, if you plan to move to Europe- get a TomTom.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:00 AM

21 posts, read 69,324 times
A couple weeks ago I sent my Garmin Nuvi 1390T back because it was frequently giving bad directions, it was difficult to use, the Bluetooth was worthless because of all of the background noise, it took along time to start up etc etc.

I exchanged it for a Magellan Road Mate 5045 (5" screen) and it is much better. I have not had bad turn due it yet. I gave up Bluetooth but got "announce road names" and I really like that.

Check Amazon They have them there with huge discounts.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 AM

587 posts, read 1,255,626 times
I got a basic TomTom, and went with that only because you can get celebrity voices, namely Han Solo and Chewbacca. My son is a HUGE Star Wars fan, and he makes me use it everywhere. Even if we are driving around the block, Han and Chewie MUST talk us through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>