Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM

37 posts, read 169,939 times

Advertisements

I saw on another thread someone say they spent $400-600/month to feed a family of four. I spend at least $1000/month a the supermarket to feed my family ( five total- three of which are teens). I thought this was alot until I talked to some of my friends who spend the same or more. This does not include eating out once a week, pizza and some lunches ( kids spend another $125 month total on school lunches, I buy 3 week at work $5.00 for breakfast/lunch combined). It does include toiletries and cleaning products.

So, my question...does this sound about right for northern NJ? I feel like I am always shelling out more and more money for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:11 PM

234 posts, read 814,106 times
1000 a month? what the heck are you buying?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
I think you are spending too much.

Well let me rephrase that since "too much" is relative.

I think you are spending more than necessary.

You have teens and feeding them can be expensie so that obviously is part of the problem but I'd guess that you probably: Buy mostly brand name products, do not shop for sales, eat a lot of meat, shop at the "pretty" supermarket, buy gourmet type ingredients, try lots of new recipes and do not strictly ahere to a shopping list.

Food prices are definitely rising and it's very frustrating going to the grocery store picking up a couple of bags worth of stuff and walking out $100 lighter. But $250 a WEEK?!?! Every once in a while I have a $250 week (ran out of cleaning supplies, having people over for dinner, need toilet paper & paper towels, etc. etc.) but never do I consistetly have $250 weeks. I try to keep it under a hundred, things that help are:

Looking at the circular and meal planning according to what is on sale
Trying the generic or store brand
Shopping at the supermarket that has the best prices in my area
Making a list and sticking to it <--so important
Not make too many recipies with exotic ingredients (this one is tough for me since I love to cook new stuff but I hate that you end up buying entire bottles of expensive ingredients you only need a teaspoon of!!)
and ofcourse the ever time consuming: Coupon Clipping.

The last one takes a lot of time and effort (which is why most times I don't bother) but when you get into it you can save so much money it's insane. I've had grocery bills that were let's say $150, then they scan my customer card and all my coupons and magically the bill gets down to $80!! Love it! And i'm not even that good I have a friend who gets her $150 down to things like $30.

Even if your not hurting for money, $1000 is a lot to spend on food in a month if you tried I bet you could save a TON of money.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
I got Aldi's by me, I save lots of money there. $1.79 for a box of cereal. Can't beat that.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
family of 4 - kids are 11 yr old boys - ~400/mo. I've NEVER spent over $200/week. Closest was about $175 and that's when we're having company.

eta - we all bring lunch to school/work.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I think you are spending too much.

Well let me rephrase that since "too much" is relative.

I think you are spending more than necessary.

You have teens and feeding them can be expensie so that obviously is part of the problem but I'd guess that you probably: Buy mostly brand name products, do not shop for sales, eat a lot of meat, shop at the "pretty" supermarket, buy gourmet type ingredients, try lots of new recipes and do not strictly ahere to a shopping list.

Food prices are definitely rising and it's very frustrating going to the grocery store picking up a couple of bags worth of stuff and walking out $100 lighter. But $250 a WEEK?!?! Every once in a while I have a $250 week (ran out of cleaning supplies, having people over for dinner, need toilet paper & paper towels, etc. etc.) but never do I consistetly have $250 weeks. I try to keep it under a hundred, things that help are:

Looking at the circular and meal planning according to what is on sale
Trying the generic or store brand
Shopping at the supermarket that has the best prices in my area
Making a list and sticking to it <--so important
Not make too many recipies with exotic ingredients (this one is tough for me since I love to cook new stuff but I hate that you end up buying entire bottles of expensive ingredients you only need a teaspoon of!!)
and ofcourse the ever time consuming: Coupon Clipping.

The last one takes a lot of time and effort (which is why most times I don't bother) but when you get into it you can save so much money it's insane. I've had grocery bills that were let's say $150, then they scan my customer card and all my coupons and magically the bill gets down to $80!! Love it! And i'm not even that good I have a friend who gets her $150 down to things like $30.

Even if your not hurting for money, $1000 is a lot to spend on food in a month if you tried I bet you could save a TON of money.
this should be a sticky. a person after my own heart, LOL.

Meal planning based on sales is KEY.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM

196 posts, read 648,992 times
this is way too expensive

need to budget better or cook real meals instead of boxed prepackaged food

Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM

37 posts, read 169,939 times
I actually do cook most of our meals . I only buy some frozen hot pockets when they are on sale for the kids to eat after school. I always look for a sale but I admit , I am not a coupon cutter. The only meat we eat is london broil which is about $5.00 to feed all of us. Other than that, I buy chicken breast for $2/pound or thighs. I skip on fish because of the price. I don't usually spend $250 at one clip but if you add up all the little trips to the store, it adds up. Like I said, I talk to friends of mine in similar situations who spend roughly about the same or more. Despite this, the food seems to all be gone by the weekend.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I buy almost entirely organic and I rarely spend more than $500 a month for four including two teens. Maybe thats because I buy very little prepared food. Cookies, lunches, etc all made at home. Also we almost never eat red meat which would potentially save money but I think that is offset by the fact we buy a good amount of seafood. The $500 also includes RAW food for our dog and veggies for rabbits.

Also, I buy almost no cleaning supplies. Just 7th gen laundry detergent & dish soap and baking soda for everything else. Saves some money.

Maybe you buy alot of prepared foods?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagirl View Post
I saw on another thread someone say they spent $400-600/month to feed a family of four. I spend at least $1000/month a the supermarket to feed my family ( five total- three of which are teens). I thought this was alot until I talked to some of my friends who spend the same or more. This does not include eating out once a week, pizza and some lunches ( kids spend another $125 month total on school lunches, I buy 3 week at work $5.00 for breakfast/lunch combined). It does include toiletries and cleaning products.

So, my question...does this sound about right for northern NJ? I feel like I am always shelling out more and more money for food.
No, even for NNJ it is way too high. I live in Northern Bergen County and shop at ShopRite, if you live fairly close to one I would try to shop there, and clip coupons, you'll be amazed at how much you could lower your food bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey