Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 AM

28 posts, read 110,897 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving back to Monmouth County. We now live in Essex County. We looked at some houses in Holmdel this weekend. Where we live now we have a very nice downtown. We know Holmdel does not have a "town." Where do you go to shop/dine, etc? that is not a strip mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,076 times
i live in colts neck, but am moving to westfield shortly. the reasons we are leaving are:

1) staten island guido factor
2) lack of downtown
3) prevalence of homes lacking any sort of character
4) better school system
not necessarily in that order

red bank or freehold are the 2 options as far as downtowns go. I prefer red bank, but by the time you park the car, it'll take you almost a 1/2 hour to get there. we'll be able to walk to town (in theory at least) from our new home in westfield.

DW and i grew up in bergen county, and lived in north jersey for most of our lives before moving to CN. we just never got used to it there.

on the plus side, taxes in holmdel/colts neck should be better then anywhere in essex county.
you'll be a lot closer to the beach
you can get much more house for your money, with a bigger lot
you already know all that though i'm sure.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM

392 posts, read 842,190 times
NYC.

Holmdel is a great town. As good as it gets in NJ, IMHO. If you long for city like dining/shopping most of NJ is a disappointment in that regard.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i live in colts neck, but am moving to westfield shortly. the reasons we are leaving are:

1) staten island guido factor
2) lack of downtown
3) prevalence of homes lacking any sort of character
4) better school system
not necessarily in that order

red bank or freehold are the 2 options as far as downtowns go. I prefer red bank, but by the time you park the car, it'll take you almost a 1/2 hour to get there. we'll be able to walk to town (in theory at least) from our new home in westfield.

DW and i grew up in bergen county, and lived in north jersey for most of our lives before moving to CN. we just never got used to it there.

on the plus side, taxes in holmdel/colts neck should be better then anywhere in essex county.
you'll be a lot closer to the beach
you can get much more house for your money, with a bigger lot
you already know all that though i'm sure.
1) As an Italian American I find the word "guido" offensive. We all know its an ugly sterotype.

2) I lived in a very walkable Bergen County town and rarely shopped or dined there. Although there were a few take out places that were nice to have close by.

3) I'll take the scenic horse country of Colts Neck/Holmdel over the houses on top of each other in Westfield anyday.

4) Colts Neck has a regional high school, so the kids that attend it are from other towns. Holmdel on the other hand has its own school system which is one of the best in the state bar none.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
1) As an Italian American I find the word "guido" offensive. We all know its an ugly sterotype.

2) I lived in a very walkable Bergen County town and rarely shopped or dined there. Although there were a few take out places that were nice to have close by.

3) I'll take the scenic horse country of Colts Neck/Holmdel over the houses on top of each other in Westfield anyday.

4) Colts Neck has a regional high school, so the kids that attend it are from other towns. Holmdel on the other hand has its own school system which is one of the best in the state bar none.
1. I am half Italian and I find "guidos", as well as the mafia and things of that nature, to give people of Italian heritage a bad name. I've never been called one (aside from being told I look a little like Al Pacino lol), but then again I consider myself to have a lot of class and I tend to identify more with my Irish side.

2. Most towns in Bergen County I find to be "walkable" but there isn't really anything to do in those towns after 8pm, especially for someone in their college years. Rutherford for example, even though it's a really nice town with its big old trees and Victorian-style houses, is a dry town. You have a bar directly across the train tracks in East Rutherford, which is not dry.

3. I call it "pretentious" scenic horse country. It is owned, suburbs in rural disguise. I find houses in Holmdel to be gaudy and dull. Same for CN. I have an uncle up in Scotch Plains and if I was a multi-millionaire and IF things like "snobbery" weren't a concern of mine, I'd probably live in a place like Scotch Plains or Westfield, that's a beautiful area up there, has more character than CN, Holmdel or any so-called "bucolic" town in Monmouth County.

4. I would imagine both high schools would provide the same experience, which is nothing good unless you have lots of money and your luxury car handed to you as a 17th birthday present from mommy and daddy.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsegrl View Post
We are thinking of moving back to Monmouth County. We now live in Essex County. We looked at some houses in Holmdel this weekend. Where we live now we have a very nice downtown. We know Holmdel does not have a "town." Where do you go to shop/dine, etc? that is not a strip mall?
Close to that area Redbank comes to mind, but driving there is a monster and the cops in Redbank are out of control.

Freehold Boro might work for you, haven't been there in awhile. From what I have heard it has gone downhill, in exactly what way I don't know though.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
I used to live in Essex and moved to Holmdel ( a Holmdelian?) and then relocated to the Midwest. I have enjoyed every place I lived for very different reasons.

Holmdel has a real sense of community if you have kids in the excellent school system. As others have said, dining and entertainment are best in Red Bank.

There are homes in a wide price range ranging from lovely old cottages to trophey mansions and everything in between. While I had a storng preference for Holmdel schools I preferred the homes/neighborhoods in many parts of Middletown, better.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 110,897 times
Where did you live in Essex County? We live in Maplewood, and love our town, but are looking for a smaller school system. We both grew up in Monmouth county, so we are looking to possible move back to that area. My husband needs to commute to NYC.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Check out Cream Ridge...a hidden jewel in that neck of the woods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey