Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, I drive an economical car but commute 120 miles round trip per day. There is NO option for public transportation for me to get to work (well, I could probably figure one out that would take me 3-4 hours one way by bus). I am definitely not for upping the gas tax.
I take it you live in Central Jersey , its coming.....by 2025 the MOM should fully completely. Work with some Federal funding could begin in 2015. The Middlesex - Ocean - Monmouth County Rail Network would have 2 lines. One would serve Monmouth JCT , Jamesburg , Freehold , Lakewood , + 5 more stations not studied yet. The Second Corridor would run form Red Bank , Lakewood , Tom's River , + 6 more unstudied stations. The Last Corridor would be the Route 9 Express Corridor would run in HOV or Dedicated lanes form Freehold to WoodBridge. This entire System would only cost around 500-700 million $$ and Serve up to 400,000. The New Dual - Electric Diesel's would allow for a person to take a Train form Tom's River to NY Penn. But those aren't coming in-till 2012-14. A raise in the gas tax would speed this up , but in the end we need to wait intill 2018 when the ARC Project is done. So you see one day Central will be = to North in Transit Selections. There Probably is PT near you ,you probably don't notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Not one public transportation system in the WORLD is not subsidized. Every system relies on subsidies. Its the nature of the beast.
You like services that aren't subsidized, come to Long Island, on the completely privately run Hampton Jitney, a one way ticket costs $40 and you will need a reservation.
Needless to say, only the rich elite can afford it, the rest of us take the train. According to you, transit would be unaffordable. And with all that extra traffic, you wont be going anywhere fast, even in your Yukon.
First of all I don't own a Yukon so keep your opinions on SuV's to your self please
Second...NJ Transit is STILL being subsidized, only a portion was cut, but I guess you think the taxpayers should subsidize it 100% so your train or bus ticket costs $1.00

Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
First of all I don't own a Yukon so keep your opinions on SuV's to your self please
Second...NJ Transit is STILL being subsidized, only a portion was cut, but I guess you think the taxpayers should subsidize it 100% so your train or bus ticket costs $1.00
nah , 50% is enough for Transit and 50% is enough for roads. But people who use more Gas should pay more , just like Trucks and some buses.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Especially when NJ Transit riders are asked to pay 25% more in fares. How'd you like to pay $40 everyday to go to NY from Toms River?I love hearing people whine about gas taxes and gas prices, yet I see them driving around in huge SUVs. Maybe gas wouldn't cost so much if you didn't drive something that gets less than 20mpg.
$40 round trip?
Between the price of gas & the tolls plus parking in NY I think someone who DROVE would be paying close to that, so what's your point?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
$40 round trip?
Between the price of gas & the tolls plus parking in NY I think someone who DROVE would be paying close to that, so what's your point?
That is exactly my point. Shouldn't transit be cheaper than driving? Otherwise, what is the incentive for people to leave their cars?
Most ppl would think, well, if it costs the same taking the bus as it is to drive, and I can be in my comfortable car with no rude ppl in my face and set my own schedule, what do YOU think people would do?
People love the freedom if driving, and are going to stick with it if taking mass transit doesn't save them money. Its all about the bottom line. I hope you New Jerseyans like lots of traffic!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,640 times
Quote:
That is exactly my point. Shouldn't transit be cheaper than driving? Otherwise, what is the incentive for people to leave their cars?
Most ppl would think, well, if it costs the same taking the bus as it is to drive, and I can be in my comfortable car with no rude ppl in my face and set my own schedule, what do YOU think people would do?
People love the freedom if driving, and are going to stick with it if taking mass transit doesn't save them money. Its all about the bottom line. I hope you New Jerseyans like lots of traffic!

I can't speak for everyone else but I can tell you why I don't drive to NY when going to an interview or work. The traffic and sitting in my car that long would drive me insane and I don't have to pay tolls or the $40+ to park in midtown which is ridonkulous . The bus costs me $5.25 one way but the con is I'm stuck on a crowded bus with putrid hot air and people yapping on cell phones so loud I can tell you who they are talking to, how they met, and what happened the last time they "chilled". Then at rush hour I have the pleasure of paying another $5.25 to buy a ticket and then wait on a line that's about 50 people long and the bus is 20 minutes late.

I remember when a 1 zone bus ride was $1 now it's $1.50 soon to be raised again. Transit should be cheaper than driving and it is. Problem is they keep raising transit because they can they know our other option is driving (gas, tolls, car maintenance, insurance, etc.) so either way you slice it if you work in nj or ny you are going to have to pay an arm and a leg and then use a kidney as a down payment

Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I can't speak for everyone else but I can tell you why I don't drive to NY when going to an interview or work. The traffic and sitting in my car that long would drive me insane and I don't have to pay tolls or the $40+ to park in midtown which is ridonkulous . The bus costs me $5.25 one way but the con is I'm stuck on a crowded bus with putrid hot air and people yapping on cell phones so loud I can tell you who they are talking to, how they met, and what happened the last time they "chilled". Then at rush hour I have the pleasure of paying another $5.25 to buy a ticket and then wait on a line that's about 50 people long and the bus is 20 minutes late.

I remember when a 1 zone bus ride was $1 now it's $1.50 soon to be raised again. Transit should be cheaper than driving and it is. Problem is they keep raising transit because they can they know our other option is driving (gas, tolls, car maintenance, insurance, etc.) so either way you slice it if you work in nj or ny you are going to have to pay an arm and a leg and then use a kidney as a down payment
What she said

Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
NJ one of the highest tax burdens in the country. Raising another tax will not help keep wealth here.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Can someone explain to me why the gas tax in NJ is so low? For a state with such severe financial problems, it seems illogical to me that we have the 2nd lowest gas prices in the entire country (only S. Carolina is lower). Wouldn't many of our current problems be solved or at least somewhat solved if a 10 cent/gallon tax were added to gas prices? I don't know what the overall impact of 10 cents would be, but on an individual basis it would be quite small ($1.50 extra per fill up, in my case).

What is the background on this?
please more tax, lets not give them anymore ideas. How about stop spending??? More tax , right, more problems solved with raising tax???????? This State is so taxed its a crazy idea. Then the big O adds lets say a VAT tax, and how the heck is anyone gonna live in the metro area????? You are just pushing people out of this State if they start with high gas tax. There is basically very little reason to stay unless your rich!!! There are so many people who drive in this state so far to work and back and moved out West and South because Property Tax got too high in Hudson, Essex, and Bergen so they sacrified Driving to stay. If you do this, they are out of here!!!!! We dont need MORE TAX!! And it never SOLVES ANY PROBLEMS, you must be young!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 04-23-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
It's been two decades since the gas tax was last raised. Only a few states have gone longer without an increase.

10 cents per gallon will result in half a billion of increased state revenue. And maybe $5 bucks/month extra out of the average citizen's pocket each month, tops. If someone can't swing that, then they have bigger problems. And really, when gas was over $4/gallon, I didn't see any less of you on the roads. So 10 cents/gallon is a reasonable increase.

Everyone needs to stop looking at "tax" as a 4 letter word. Yes, taxes in this state are a problem, specifically property tax. But this is a low cost solution which will help generate a big hunk of much needed money and will have minimal impact on the average citizen. We are in crisis mode people, something has to give.
this is a person who takes public transportation and is trying to make a point??? Sorry your costs went up, but WE DONT NEED ANYMORE TAX IN NJ!!!! This is a crazy idea. There is a motive here????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey