U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 AM

86 posts, read 279,103 times

Advertisements

Hi...I'm looking to move to a nice, family oriented town with great schools, recreation for kids and a bit of diversity. We're an African American family and while we don't mind living in a predominantely White area, we'd like a bit of diversity for our son going to school. We're willing to spend up to $600,000 for a 3 bedroom plus home. I've done tons of research but would like personal opinions of River Edge, Dumont, New Milford and Westwood.

I LOVE Ridgewood and Tenafly...but we've decide against those towns.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,412,045 times
Of the 4, I'd go with River Edge. Best school system of the bunch; although like many in the area, they are getting a bit crowded. River Edge shares a lot of it's rec programs with Oradell (River Dell) and they are quite good.

New Milford is a town I only became familiar with in recent years. I do like it because it is very nice, does have a family feel and while "suburban" it's not "snooty" like other towns can be. However, their school system is ok, but it is not great by any means. Many NM families opt for private school as a result.

Westwood is a nice town too - bigger. Great "downtown" district, some closings, but still pretty strong. Great restaurants and movie theater...schools are pretty good too.

Dumont would be my least favorite of the towns mentioned. Again, not a "bad" town, but it has some sections that are nicer than others. The schools are not rated all that well in Dumont either.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM

19,887 posts, read 17,969,237 times
I don't thnk any of those towns are particularly diverse.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 13,579 times
River Edge has excellent public schools, and share with Oradell (River Dell). Among the top schools in NJ. The town is close to everywhere, has a nice, small downtown, and walking distance or short car ride to the malls and elsewhere. Next to Rt 4 and minutes from Rt. 17.
Residents are mostly white, but also many Koreans living there. Few Hispanics and from other rases.

New Milford is an OK town, it's schools are OK but not as great. I went to their high school for a year, and did not like it at all compared to River Dell. The town is larger though and more diverse.

Dumont, don't even consider living there. Schools are not good, and far from elsewhere.

Westwood don't know about it, but heard it's a nice town with good public schools.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,923,382 times
Westwood has a small group of African-American residents, and the other towns are probably more in the way of Asian as to diversity. I'll be moving to that area in a few weeks so I don't have too many more impressions. I hope times have changed as to white residents' views of diverse neighbors.. I did see people of different ethnicities shopping in the area..

Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM

17 posts, read 78,811 times
I asked the same question a year ago when researching the towns you’re looking at.
Bear in mind that any feedback you get here is really subjective.

What is your #1 priority? If schools, River Edge has a slight edge over the rest.
If for best value of homes and affordability, Dumont & New Milford. I cannot talk about Westwood since I don’t have knowledge of that area.
These towns are predominately white but RE has a huge Asian demographic mostly Korean.

Dumont is a very down-to-earth, friendly, and pleasant town. Commute to Manhattan and GWB is convenient. It is not as busy as the rest.
It has a solid school system. Even those that say Bergenfield doesn’t have a good school system, kids still thrive well. New Milford is also a pleasant town.

You should go to each town on different days and times of the week to compare and gauge it so it gives you a much better idea.

Affordability – New Milford and Dumont are great with lots of housing choices.

None of the towns have the reputation of Tenafly for sure.

Good luck on your home search.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 AM

86 posts, read 279,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike201313 View Post
try englewood nj 07631 its black spanish and white it has a academy and it is pretty safe and its 5min from nyc
We actually live in Englewood now...and while I LOVE living here the public school system is not what I want for my children. We don't want to do private schools and would rather move to a community where the majority of children attend public school.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 25,632,900 times
Sounds like Washington Township or Westwood is your best bet. There both semi-Diverse towns , Westwood has a Downtown , WT doesn't. We both share the same school system , WT is abit more Expensive the westwood and quieter. The Schools are good , average suburban schools. Most of the towns up here very little crime or non at all. Westwood does have more parks and few other things.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 PM

123 posts, read 550,312 times
Westwood is the most diverse of the towns you have mentioned. There is an African American population east of Berkeley School, around Sand Road/Westwood Blvd/Pascack/Palisades. But that's not the most convenient area of town, a little far from downtown. I've lived there my entire life and can say it's a safe, mostly down to earth town...kind of like hometown America. Schools are not ranked as high as in surrounding towns, but they are still great nontheless...the overwhelming majority of high school seniors move onto college...like 95ish %. You can definitely find the house you are looking for in Westwood...and it has a fantastic downtown area along Westwood Ave. Westwood also has a GREAT recreation program that is popular among residents. They are doing some major redistricting with schools to make them more desirable for next year. I do believe the elementary schools will be a bit crowded, however (just like the rest of Bergen County schools). IMO, best housing (most diverse) of the four towns...not all the same, you have a great mix of capes, colonials and splits.

River Edge has the edge with the schools, but other than that there is nothing...it's comparable to Westwood in terms of family income and home prices, but it's just an ugly town. There is no downtown other than Kinderkamack Road strip malls. But students go to River Dell when they hit high school and that's a highly rated school.

Dumont and New Milford are kind of ugly too. Housing is boring in those tows, especially when compared to Westwood. Many post war capes and splits, most people live in houses exactly the same as their next door neighbors. They are also less convenient to highways such as the parkway and 17...a negative for me. Schools in these towns are also ranked lower than the other two you mentioned.

But you should definitely take a deeper look at all the towns. Go take tours of the schools, that's always a great way to see which ones you like the best.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 13,458 times
Just a quick note, Westwood is over crowded, there's no parking in town usually, there are always sirens going in town, sometimes it feels like NYC rather than a supposed town in the suburbs.
River Edge has some nice neighborhoods back off the main drag and you have Paramus Park shopping mall fairly close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey