Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 34,544 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband just got a job in Wayne so we will be moving to the area from CT. Due to the lousy real estate market we will not be able to sell our house here and will only be able to afford a house about $360k or less. I have narrowed down the search to an entry level house in either the Fayson Lakes area of Kinnelon and the Crystal Lake area of Oakland. We have a third and sixth grader so schools were an important factor - both school systems look about the same from the research I've done. And we like the idea of a lake community so that the kids will have outdoor activities and friends nearby, besides that my husband and I like living near water and boating.

Any thoughts on the areas in specific or Kinnelon and Oakland in general would be greatly appreciated - I am unfamiliar with NJ towns except for what I have seen looking at houses.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Try this:

Oakland NJ
Wayne vs Oakland
Oakland, NJ

I have some things in these posts and looking back I sound a little harsh but i like Oakland fine. I had many friends there growing up, met my wife there and pass through town several times a week. easy access to highways, good schools and you have most of what you need right there in town.

I would prefer oakland to Kinnelon, but I also do not know a heck of a lot about Kinnelon.

also try
//www.city-data.com/city/Kinnelon-New-Jersey.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Oakland-New-Jersey.html

Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks Joe. I actually hit upon some of your posts in my search. Kinnelon is very nice, but it looks like I may be able to afford more house in Oakland. I have ready that living in Oakland you have the option to send your kids to Ramapo High instead of Indian Hills. Is it really that simple? Do many people excercise this option? Because it moving there and planning to send my kids to Ramapo when all their friends are going to Indian Hills may not work...

Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,096 times
Hi -
I grew up in Kinnelon (Morris County), moved to NYC for college, & after getting engaged in the early 90's, moved back to NJ & eventually Kinnelon! It's a great place to grow up & raise kids. The homes under $400K go pretty quickly & only recently have we seen some inventory in Fayson Lakes. Forget about rentals in Kinnelon - they are few & far between & get snapped up right away. If you need any help, you can e-mail me at kdeleo@weichert.com - I'm a Realtor with them & I could e-mail you listings as they come up. Oakland is nice too - (Bergen County)...generally people living anywhere in Bergen County say "I live in Bergen County" - people from Morris County generally just say what town they are from - lol. Keep an eye on taxes - that can make a big difference in your budget & can vary dramatically based on County - Wayne is in Passaic County & we see higher taxes there...
Good luck in your search! Kristen De Leo

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
Kinnelon is nicer then Oakland. Oakland has a flood zone as well. Kinnelon is very nice.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM

292 posts, read 718,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rubix View Post
Thanks Joe. I actually hit upon some of your posts in my search. Kinnelon is very nice, but it looks like I may be able to afford more house in Oakland. I have ready that living in Oakland you have the option to send your kids to Ramapo High instead of Indian Hills. Is it really that simple? Do many people excercise this option? Because it moving there and planning to send my kids to Ramapo when all their friends are going to Indian Hills may not work...
Kinnelon;

Pros: Nature, Open-space, good value compared to other areas

Cons: School system is declining, not centrally located, still expensive, no downtown

Oakland;

Pros: Nature, 15-20 minutes from Paramus, great value, lower home proces

Cons: No downtown

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

101 posts, read 460,325 times
I think having your own "downtown" is overrated. Its not like you get a hometown discount at restaurants.

IMO, I would choose Kinnelon, but rt 23 is just terrible, and that really the main way to get there.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
I would have picked Oakland. Funny how different people think. I think Oakland is the last gem in Bergen County. I also get a much more community feeling in Oakland. Oakland has really dug it self up the past few years to being a nice little town. This is due to Pines Lake area of Wayne and Franklin Lakes borders. These people have big bucks and have brought Oakland way up. I think its a great town to have quiet but not all backwoods and no neighbors. Kinnelon to me is every man for himself type living. I like Oakland a hell of a lot.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Kinnelon;

Pros: Nature, Open-space, good value compared to other areas

Cons: School system is declining, not centrally located, still expensive, no downtown

Oakland;

Pros: Nature, 15-20 minutes from Paramus, great value, lower home proces

Cons: No downtown
Smartone -
What makes you say the Kinnelon schools are declining? We already made our move and chose the Fayson Lakes area of Kinnelon. Just liked the woodsy feel and Fayson Lakes is nicer than the Crystal Lake in Oakland. But since my kids will be going to Stonybrook and Pearl R. Miller in the fall I am interested to hear what you mean and what I should look out for.
Thanks,
Jill

Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,664 times
Kinnelon was a great choice. One of the top towns in Morris county. Oakland is one of the lesser towns in Bergen county. Schools are rated better in Kinnelon and that is a priority of yours for now!
Traffic sucks in all northern NJ, so welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey