Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 55,348 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I guess I just have to get out to Metuchen and start looking! Maybe I'll have to compromise on walking to the train.

I have friends in Cranford, but I really need to be on a train line where you don't have to transfer. My husband works late nights (11 pm or later) -- so buses aren't a good option either.

I've heard good things about Stevenson (sp?) high school in Edison -- anyone know where that is located?

Also, do folks think prices are coming down? We sold our co-op and we are renting right now, waiting to see what happens with the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,279,936 times
It's actually JP Stevens High School, and it's located on Grove Ave between Oak Tree Road and New Dover Road on the north side of Edison. Of the two high schools in Edison, it's definitely the "better" one, as pretty much all of North Edison sends their kids there (which is generally the pricier part of Edison). The downside to your situation is that north Edison has no walkable downtown area, and it's also a few miles to the train station (Metropark is probably the closest station, actually).

Bob

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,187,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingqueens View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I guess I just have to get out to Metuchen and start looking! Maybe I'll have to compromise on walking to the train.

I have friends in Cranford, but I really need to be on a train line where you don't have to transfer. My husband works late nights (11 pm or later) -- so buses aren't a good option either.

I've heard good things about Stevenson (sp?) high school in Edison -- anyone know where that is located?

Also, do folks think prices are coming down? We sold our co-op and we are renting right now, waiting to see what happens with the market.
the school is in edison, you need to live in edison to attend there, people think the school is great but it wasn't ranked well in the NJ Monthly rankings

Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,291,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingqueens View Post

JP Stevens High has an Indian language schools running there every Friday night (for more detail call Arun at 732 494-3433) There are currently over 250 families going to learn this emerging most important language ... and the credit obtain from your kids can be applied to World Language requirement of Edison Board of Education.

You may find Westgate Square close to schools and Metropark and very nice and luxury townhouse for only low $300k ... One of the best deals in the area ... but it is almost new community ... but it is moving very fast ... north jersey craigslist > real estate for sale: search for "Edison westgate" (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=Edison+westgate&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link)

Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
ehs

NJ Monthly ranking is very bias. They did not rank many schools well, but their students won #1 of NJ in many state wide competitions.

Also, keep in mind Geater Edison area (and Brick twp) are ranked top 10 safest area in the US ...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM

276 posts, read 744,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The downside to your situation is that north Edison has no walkable downtown area, and it's also a few miles to the train station (Metropark is probably the closest station, actually).

Bob
Oak Tree Road (in Iselin) is right there!! All Indian stores!!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
JP Stevens High has an Indian language schools running there every Friday night (for more detail call Arun at 732 494-3433) There are currently over 250 families going to learn this emerging most important language ... and the credit obtain from your kids can be applied to World Language requirement of Edison Board of Education.

You may find Westgate Square close to schools and Metropark and very nice and luxury townhouse for only low $300k ... One of the best deals in the area ... but it is almost new community ... but it is moving very fast ... north jersey craigslist > real estate for sale: search for "Edison westgate" (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=Edison+westgate&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link)
pray tell how Hindi is an emerging language? The national language of India is both English and Hindi. Hindi is spoken in 1--thats it, just 1--country. As is Chinese. It's not an important enough language to spend time studying, no matter what they say. In fact, their argument is based solely on population number of speakers--though millions of people in South India cannot speak Hindi.

ask them how to say, i love you, in hindi. see how expressive the language is.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,279,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
Oak Tree Road (in Iselin) is right there!! All Indian stores!!
I didn't get the impression that the OP was looking for a walkable "Indian" downtown, so that's why I didn't mention it- there's little if anything that is "typical downtown" there. The downtown area also isn't realyl within walking distance of Edison anyway- you'd have to live in the streets behind the shops, which is generally pretty crappy.

Bob

Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
pray tell how Hindi is an emerging language? The national language of India is both English and Hindi. Hindi is spoken in 1--thats it, just 1--country. As is Chinese. It's not an important enough language to spend time studying, no matter what they say. In fact, their argument is based solely on population number of speakers--though millions of people in South India cannot speak Hindi.

ask them how to say, i love you, in hindi. see how expressive the language is.
I am not sure about Hindi, but if you do not know Chinese, you can not read World Journal ¥@¬É¤é³ø¢w¢w*º*¶ which is the largest Chinese newspaper in the US.

Also, Cantonese is big dialect of China, although not every one speak, there are Cantonese School and most Chinatown speaks Cantonese, not Mandarin.

Also, Taiwanese is also very popular and there is Taiwanese language school, only two provinces use the dialect, but it is very important as well.

English is important becaues of UK and USA, and someday, you will find Chinese very important and that's why over 2,000 high schools in the US open Chinese language course, just like in Taiwan, we were mandated to learn English for 6 years and one year in college.

I am sure if you speak Hindi, you would want your kids to learn Hindi in addition to English.

There are 3 classes in Murray Hill Chinese School Web Site that are not Chinese students, and believe or not, many white kids speak and write better Chinese since they are highly motivated.

This year, I met a black family coming to learn Chinese from Bridgewater. The black father is a computer project manager who has vision to send his two kids to learn Chinese.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
I am not sure about Hindi, but if you do not know Chinese, you can not read World Journal ¥@¬É¤é³ø¢w¢w*º*¶ which is the largest Chinese newspaper in the US.

I am sure if you speak Hindi, you would want your kids to learn Hindi in addition to English.

There are 3 classes in Murray Hill Chinese School Web Site that are not Chinese students, and believe or not, many white kids speak and write better Chinese since they are highly motivated.

This year, I met a black family coming to learn Chinese from Bridgewater. The black father is a computer project manager who has vision to send his two kids to learn Chinese.
no offense, but i get the impression that you are a) asian and b) an Asian nationalist. am i wrong?

and:

"I am sure if you speak Hindi, you would want your kids to learn Hindi in addition to English."

the language children speak is not of the parents, but of their peers.

and:

"English is important becaues of UK and USA, and someday, you will find Chinese very important"

yes this is true, but it hides the deeper meaning of why english is universal. its because of colonization, which is deeply ingrained and subsumed by other alien cultures. not to mention its a highly variable language with much flexibility, offering over some 600k words. cantonese is important? thats funny. in a country of 1+ billion, less than 1/10th of that population speaks Cantonese. someday chinese will be important? not in my lifetime, holmes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey