Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 18,397 times

Advertisements

I recently got a ticket in NJ while entering a highway from a ramp. Here is the situation. I enter the ramp, look through my left mirror and blind spot, a car was coming far behind (safe enough for me to enter the highway). When I looked straight, within 20-30 feet, there was a police officer standing in the middle of the road obstructing the highway traffic, stopping all the cars. There was one other officer walking on the road talking to the car drivers who were pulled over to the right. I was stopped by the police officer standing in the middle of the road and he asked me to pull over to the right. I had no idea why I was asked to pull over. The other officer came to me and said I failed to yield and asked for my license and registeration. It was very obvious the officers randomnly pulled over cars entering the highway from the ramp for the sole purpose of issuing tickets and collecting funds for the city.

The ticket states "Disregard of traffic sign - 411.1Q". No other offense was checked in the ticket. Has anyone got this ticket before? How many points for this? Is it worth fighting in the court or pay 85$.

I have decided to fight in the court since I did not disregard any traffic sign. I have to take time-off from my office. Is it worth my time or just pay the fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_user View Post
I recently got a ticket in NJ while entering a highway from a ramp. Here is the situation. I enter the ramp, look through my left mirror and blind spot, a car was coming far behind (safe enough for me to enter the highway). When I looked straight, within 20-30 feet, there was a police officer standing in the middle of the road obstructing the highway traffic, stopping all the cars. There was one other officer walking on the road talking to the car drivers who were pulled over to the right. I was stopped by the police officer standing in the middle of the road and he asked me to pull over to the right. I had no idea why I was asked to pull over. The other officer came to me and said I failed to yield and asked for my license and registeration. It was very obvious the officers randomnly pulled over cars entering the highway from the ramp for the sole purpose of issuing tickets and collecting funds for the city.

The ticket states "Disregard of traffic sign - 411.1Q". No other offense was checked in the ticket. Has anyone got this ticket before? How many points for this? Is it worth fighting in the court or pay 85$.

I have decided to fight in the court since I did not disregard any traffic sign. I have to take time-off from my office. Is it worth my time or just pay the fine?

Never heard of that one.... I would think most would yield getting on a major highway as that car coming up is more than likely doing at least 60mph....I know on I80 sometimes where you get off for I287 you have people who don't like to wait and barrel up the lane next to the exit lane and then jump in....once in awhile the state police are there to get them

Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Was this on Rt.549 (Hooper Ave) in Toms River? I was down there yesterday and saw the cops standing in the middle of the road (s/b) randomly stopping cars. I would fight it for sure.
I've seen checkpoints but not in the middle of the Hwy. I guess Dover Township wants more revenue.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:21 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Was this on Rt.549 (Hooper Ave) in Toms River? I was down there yesterday and saw the cops standing in the middle of the road (s/b) randomly stopping cars. I would fight it for sure.
I've seen checkpoints but not in the middle of the Hwy. I guess Dover Township wants more revenue.
It's no longer Dover Township was renamed to Toms River township to stop the confusion with Dover in North Jersey..that said in the middle of Hooper Ave..are they nuts

Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 18,397 times
No, in PIP - Palisades Interstate Parkway. Has anyone fought a ticket in PIP court and won?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,790 times
I never heard of this before. BUT..its the end of the month and this is "make up your quota" time

Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
I would look up that law online and see what it actually reads. If there is a yield sign it does not mean you have to stop, just yield to traffic that's already on the highway. You also need to get up to highway speed when entering the highway, in order not to affect the flow of traffic. Sounds like they are trying to reinterpret the law and just holdup drivers to take their money.
Also I don't know if there's any such animal as a PIP court. I know that road has their own patrol force, but usually the courts in NJ are whichever local town the incident occurred in.

Either way, this being NJ, the court will probably be filled with people with a similar ticket and the judge will pretend he doesn't know what is going on and try each case separately

Good luck. I think it's all about taking your money.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:20 PM

Default PIP Regulations

I didn't think that was a real law, but it turns out PIP has their own set of laws and it is 411 (q), which reads:

(q) All persons shall heed and comply with the directions of the regional park
police and other employees of the commission and the directions of all traffic
signs and signals.

The rule above is on page 15 of this:
http://www.njpalisades.org/pipc_regs.pdf (broken link)

So it depends what sign was there, stop or yield, and if you complied with the normal legal requirements of that sign or police officer. If you complied, then you are not guilty.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM

I would also call the phone number they listed on your ticket and ask if there are any NJ Motor vehicle points that apply to that ticket. The State website doesn't say their is, but some of these groups make up their own rules anyway. It's not like this is America and their are laws that they have to follow, lol.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

According to what you describe, you did follow the directions of the police officer (if you can call guys riding around a park "cops", lol), but I'm not the judge and you're not paying me.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:36 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
I got a ticket once on the Washington DC Beltway in No.Virginia for "failure to obey a highway sign".

That was the trooper's way of writing up for a speeding ticket that he was going to give me.

I just paid it and moved on as I was moving out of state right about when the court date would have been. In the end, the record and effects of the ticket were lost when I turned in my MD license for my NC license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey