Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM

40 posts, read 155,516 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are soon moving to Mendham Township and need to look into daycare options for our 2 year old child. Some initial research has only produced half-day daycare options in the immediate area of Mendham. Does anyone have any insight?
We both work in the city (me, only part-time) so are considering have our child commute with us on the days I work - but I think this isn't doable long-term.
Any good options would be appreciated.

Any comments on newcomer life in Mendham area would also be appreciated. I am very keen to meet local people and make friends for myself and my child.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,252 times
we live in mendham borough (now the township), and im afraid i cant comment on the daycare situation, as my wife is a stay at home mum, so we don't have that issue. for more casual arrangements, though (e.g. evenings, weekends) there are many excellent babysitters in the area (who you can find on any of the usual websites - obviously being sure to take up references etc).

as far as life in the area goes...its a fabulous place to live, which you must already know since you've chosen to move there. we moved here just under a year ago with our two children, who are now just under 3 and just under 2...the older one goes to the montessori school 2 half days per week, and there are also music classes, ballet classes, Pep club, and all the other usual children's clubs/activities available.

you might want to check out the township website, as its got a fair bit of useful info there: Mendham Township - Mendham Township

i understand its going to be somewhat more challenging for you than it was for us, given you both commuting to the city, but getting involved in those kinds of classes is the perfect way to meet people. we moved here just under a year ago, and already feel we almost have more friends than we can handle!

lovely place. great choice. im sure you'll love it!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Default Re: Full day (part-time) daycare near Mendham Township (or Morris Township)

As a long time Mendham Twp. resident, may I be among the first to welcome you to our town. I am sure you will find it a fantastic place to live in and to raise your family.

As to the day care options, there are many facilities not far from here, however I think your main trouble will be with the hours. Many who commute to NYC must leave home around 6 am and do not arrive home until around 7pm - and that is barring any transit delays. (there are quite a lot who do this commute, and thanks to the mid town direct trains, the commute time has been lessened, it used to be leave at 5am home at 8pm) If you are planning on driving into the city, your commuting time will be considerably longer. And there in is the big issue. Every daycare center I know of is open 7am till 6 pm, there are a couple that stay open until 6:30. Because of that, working parents in Mendham Twp generally hire nannies. (especially if they commute to NYC) I know of several mom's that work from home several days a week, and go in only once or twice a week and they have hired part time nannies, many who go to the local community college (which has a top notch nursing program) and that may be an option for you. Speaking of commuting, if you do plan on taking the train, be sure to look into the parking permit situation, many local station's lots are full. I believe there are some available in Peapack/Gladstone. Depending on which part of town your new home is located Peapack is only about 15 minutes away, about equadistance time wise as the Morristown station. (parking there is a major issue, it is parking by permit only, $160/month and last I heard there is a waiting list for permits)

I recommend checking out the story time program at the library, as it is a fantastic way to meet other local moms of kids the same age. There is also a wonderful Strawberry festival at the elementary school in June, and a parade and carnival type activities on July 4th, both are very old time "Mayberry RFD-ish" well attended and a great way to meet your neighbors. There is a wonderful great newly constructed park for kids behind the Ralston Fire house, which is another great gathering place to meet other area Moms.

Feel free to ask any other questions or concerns you might have, I am always glad to assist a new neighbor!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:11 PM

40 posts, read 155,516 times
Thanks so much for your replies. I will definitely check out the toddler/child activities you recommend. We look forward to making some local friends....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey