Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new "red reflectorized decal" law?
I like it! It's good to know young adult drivers on the roads... 10 38.46%
Ah, accidents occur in all ages 2 7.69%
I don't like it... too annoying 11 42.31%
I don't care 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:14 PM

19 posts, read 54,024 times

Advertisements

Starting from May 1, 2010 - the new GDL law New Jersey drivers:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

NEW IMPORTANT LAW - READ SITE ABOVE FOR DETAILS

The most newest GDL law is displaying a magnetic red reflectorized decal on each license plate (front/back) for young adults 17 - 21 years old. Adult drivers over 21 must remove the red decals when driving the car.
(Decals available at motor vehicle agencies, $4 per pair)
OR $100 FINE

- Also NO driving between 11 PM - 5 AM (Used to be 12 AM - 5 AM)

- ONLY 1 non-family member passenger.

- All passangers MUST wear seatbelts.

NEW LAW FOR ALL NEW JERSEY DRIVERS:

You MUST STOP for pedestrian on marked/unmarked crossroads, even those who are waiting to cross.

ALL PASSENGERS MUST WEAR SEATBELTS, NO MATTER WHERE SEATED.

Other important law:

- NO CELL PHONE/TEXT MSG.
- WIPERS ON - LIGHTS ON! Please keep headlights on during rain/snow/fog and 30 min before/after sunrise/sunset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
No one in my Neighborhood decided to get one.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yooork View Post
Starting from May 1, 2010 - the new GDL law New Jersey drivers:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

NEW IMPORTANT LAW - READ SITE ABOVE FOR DETAILS

The most newest GDL law is displaying a magnetic red reflectorized decal on each license plate (front/back) for young adults 17 - 21 years old. Adult drivers over 21 must remove the red decals when driving the car.
(Decals available at motor vehicle agencies, $4 per pair)
OR $100 FINE

- Also NO driving between 11 PM - 5 AM (Used to be 12 AM - 5 AM)

- ONLY 1 non-family member passenger.

- All passangers MUST wear seatbelts.

NEW LAW FOR ALL NEW JERSEY DRIVERS:

You MUST STOP for pedestrian on marked/unmarked crossroads, even those who are waiting to cross.

ALL PASSENGERS MUST WEAR SEATBELTS, NO MATTER WHERE SEATED.

Other important law:

- NO CELL PHONE/TEXT MSG.
- WIPERS ON - LIGHTS ON! Please keep headlights on during rain/snow/fog and 30 min before/after sunrise/sunset.
i heard you couldn't have more than one passenger period. regardless if they're in your immediate family or not

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
I thought 18-21 was considered an adult already? I'm guess i'm wrong this state is really starting to get on my nerves and Christie won't even challenge it.....its just another way they can pull you over more.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
I don't like it, but not because I think it's annoying (so I didn't vote in the poll) but because I don't like the idea of profiling. I know 21 year olds who hold a responsible, professional job, yet now they aren't allowed to take their turn driving the morning carpool because their co-workers aren't family members? What if a kid works until midnight, they can drive to work but not back home?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't like it, but not because I think it's annoying (so I didn't vote in the poll) but because I don't like the idea of profiling. I know 21 year olds who hold a responsible, professional job, yet now they aren't allowed to take their turn driving the morning carpool because their co-workers aren't family members? What if a kid works until midnight, they can drive to work but not back home?
And I can just picture small-town police departments whose members have nothing to do but follow around a kid until he/she makes a mistake, then get out the ticket book.

This is nanny state to the extreme. If I had kids, they wouldn't have these "ticket magnets" stuck to their cars. If they make a legit violation and get a ticket, so be it, but at least I know the traffic stop was clean.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,834 times
I think the law is insane, textbook nannystate policy, and typical of NJ. If I had kids, I wouldn't encourage them to purchase the decals.

But isn't the law only effecting those with provisional licenses? You get your real license at 17 or 18 in this state.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
I have heard from my family that lives in nj that its a nanny governed state & greedy. The new laws will bring in revenue cause you know the cops will enforce them. Nj ranks #2 in the nation as over-nanny, over-governed, over-taxed & downright greedy. NY is #1 & ca is #3. Why anyone likes politicians ill never understand. I didnt really think much about politicians until i joined cd a few yrs back. Now i just despise most of them plus they are generally cowards. Also ca is more over-regulated then nj & ny.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
I'm completely against this law in every way. I didn't vote since "giving a crap about personal liberty and being against the slippery slope" wasn't an option. I think the law unfairly profiles kids, kids who are legally adults at that. I can understand the probational license thing from 17 to 18, it even makes sense while young drivers get some experience under their belt, but at 18, you are an adult. I also think this exposes young drivers to profiling by people other than the police.

If you want to save peoples lives and make kids better drivers, start by providing better driver education. It takes years to develop good driving skills and even then, you have to want to learn them to acquire them in the U.S. We really should move to a more rigorous and stringent licensing system. Over in Europe it can take a year or two and cost several thousand dollars to get your license, but the day you get it you know how to handle a car in all situations.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 AM

478 posts, read 1,749,436 times
It's only needed for those with a Graduated Driver License (GDL)...just learning, most at 19-21 would have a "basic license" if they started to learn at 17 (most cases).

Drivers possessing a special learners permit, examination permit or probationary (formerly provisional) license, must display a reflectorized decal on each license plate (front/back) of any motor vehicle they operate.

How long am I required to use these decals?
It depends on when you first obtained a permit. A driver, under the age of 21, must display the decals
during the period when he or she possesses a permit or probationary driver license. The decals are
no longer necessary once the driver obtains a full privilege driver license (basic license).

Last edited by carlo2009; 05-03-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey