Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 AM

22 posts, read 91,368 times

Advertisements

We are about to move to forked river and the home has propane for the cooktop.My question is do you have it delivered or get it yourself? What is cheaper right now its a 100lb tank and we own it.So getting it filled would be no big deal for us if it would save on delivery charges or ?
Right now we have natural gas and just have to get the tank on the bbq grilled filled every few months that runs about 18.00 not sure if the bigger tank would be any discount do to size.
Also we do you get your gas from would like to compare some prices.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 AM

478 posts, read 1,749,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscarpt View Post
We are about to move to forked river and the home has propane for the cooktop.My question is do you have it delivered or get it yourself? What is cheaper right now its a 100lb tank and we own it.So getting it filled would be no big deal for us if it would save on delivery charges or ?
Right now we have natural gas and just have to get the tank on the bbq grilled filled every few months that runs about 18.00 not sure if the bigger tank would be any discount do to size.
Also we do you get your gas from would like to compare some prices.
Thanks

Natural gas is cheaper then propane.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
So the kitchen stove is propane? Never heard of that before. Is this common? I live in Ocean County too and never saw one of these.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM

22 posts, read 91,368 times
There is no gas on the street everyone has propane for cooking and some for the clothes dryer also.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
So the kitchen stove is propane? Never heard of that before. Is this common? I live in Ocean County too and never saw one of these.
Most gas appliances (dryers, cooktops, furnaces, etc...) are dual fuel capable, you just have to change the gas orifice. We have no gas in the street where we live and hate our electric stove. Eventually I'd like to convert to a propane hot water heater, dryer, and add a dedicated propane heater to the garage. We have oil heat but hardly ever use it (we installed a wood furnace last year) so two 100 lb tanks would probably be adequate for us. If you have a truck you'd probably be better off taking the tank to be filled somewhere. That way you have the advantage of being able to shop around (Amerigas might be cheaper than Suburban one month to the next, etc...).

Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Most gas appliances (dryers, cooktops, furnaces, etc...) are dual fuel capable, you just have to change the gas orifice. We have no gas in the street where we live and hate our electric stove. Eventually I'd like to convert to a propane hot water heater, dryer, and add a dedicated propane heater to the garage. We have oil heat but hardly ever use it (we installed a wood furnace last year) so two 100 lb tanks would probably be adequate for us. If you have a truck you'd probably be better off taking the tank to be filled somewhere. That way you have the advantage of being able to shop around (Amerigas might be cheaper than Suburban one month to the next, etc...).
Interesting. After growing up with all electric appliances, gas appliances freak me out big time. I don't like the idea of flames and pilot lights, etc. being in my kitchen. I know this is irrational, and most people probably have gas appliances, but I doubt I'll ever own one.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Usually it is delivered....there are several propane dealers...Suburban Propane, Eastern Propane etc etc
Not sure which ones operate in your neck of the woods, so look in phone book and call to compare prices...don't think one over the other is going to be that much cheaper
Personally if it's even allowed I would not be to comfy with a 100LB propane tank in my car/truck....hate even carting the 20lb grill ones

Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Interesting. After growing up with all electric appliances, gas appliances freak me out big time. I don't like the idea of flames and pilot lights, etc. being in my kitchen. I know this is irrational, and most people probably have gas appliances, but I doubt I'll ever own one.
I hear you..I grew up with all gas via PSE&G, moved to the boonies..no natural gas and have electric stove, dryer & oil heat..I soooooo missed the gas at first...now I wouldn't be to crazy about getting it back and there was no way i was having one of those huge propane tanks in my yard

Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not sure which ones operate in your neck of the woods, so look in phone book and call to compare prices...don't think one over the other is going to be that much cheaper.
You'd be surprised. Much like heating oil in addition to the chains there are plenty of mom and pop dealers who may be able to offer a better price.

Quote:
Personally if it's even allowed I would not be to comfy with a 100LB propane tank in my car/truck....hate even carting the 20lb grill ones
I agree, carting one around in a car wouldn't be a great idea simply because it would be difficult to fit/secure. A 100lb propane tank (which holds about 30 gallons of propane) will fit easily into even a compact pickup bed-and (as long as it's properly tied down) it's no more dangerous than the 20 gallon or so tank of gasoline that you drive around with every day. Being at the mercy of the delivery company means just that-their terms, their prices, etc...

Quote:
I hear you..I grew up with all gas via PSE&G, moved to the boonies..no natural gas and have electric stove, dryer & oil heat..I soooooo missed the gas at first...now I wouldn't be to crazy about getting it back and there was no way i was having one of those huge propane tanks in my yard
It's actually fairly difficult to get a propane tank to explode-you have to really want to do it:

Mythbusters blow up a propane tank

If you're that worried about it you could also bury it which is done pretty often now. If we needed a large tank that's what I would do. Even if it leaks there's no costly cleanup like there is with oil. In my opinion the electric stove is one of the worst inventions of the 20th century-my wife and I both love to cook and the electric cooktop is HORRIBLE! I have two vintage Griswold cast iron skillets and a griddle that are practically useless because electric heats so unevenly. We cook on the grill 12 months a year just avoid using the stove.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
I actually like the propane cooktop . I have filled the tank one time in 3 years and I cook alot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: