Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times

Advertisements

Since most of the posts on this board have been on pretty down note lately (property taxes, Chris Christie's weight, oil slicks heading for our beaches, etc...) I figured I'd try to inject a little sunshine on this dreary and rainy Monday. After church we headed out to Round Valley Reservoir, which provides much of the drinking water for Central New Jersey. We live about 5 minutes from Spruce Run Reservoir which is west of Route 31 and north of I-78, but Round Valley (east of 31 and south of 78) seems to be more well kept and is just more scenic in general:

Round Valley Reservoir

Hank, our six month old chocolate lab got some swimming in at the beach at Round Valley-unfortunately dogs aren't allowed on the beach in season (Memorial Day to Labor Day), so we'll need to find another lake or pond for him once summer comes. After he tired himself out we dropped him off at home and took a scenic ride down Route 513/Everittstown Road through Franklin and Kingwood to Frenchtown.

Frenchtown is a smaller (and arguably more quaint in some ways) version of Lambertville perched on the Delaware with funky little shops and restaurants. We decided to stop into the recently reopened National Hotel for a drink:

The National Hotel

We had hoped to visit the Rathskeller which is the more informal pub in the basement, but it's closed on Sundays-the hotel bar itself is still pretty casual though. The taps are pretty standard, but they did have a good wheat beer from Magic Hat that was pretty refreshing on a day like yesterday. Before stopping at the bar we walked to the PA side (there's really nothing there by the way, we just wanted some exercise) and we were really feeling the heat by the time we got back. We took a different way home and ambled down Route 29 a little ways until taking a random road heading east toward home. I would argue that Kingwood is one of the most beautiful (as in wild) towns in Hunterdon County. When we eventually decide to move we'll definitely be looking there if we don't hop over the river into Bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,300 times
Frenchtown................love it and the atmosphere. Hunterdon County has all kinds of neat hidden treasures. I've live here for 3 years and find something new almost every week...........

A warm Spring Day spent by the river in Frenchtown is always a treat..............

Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Sounds like a nice area. Over the past year I've explored the western portion of the state a little more and have found some cool places along the Delaware.

I'd like to go see Lake Hopatcong this coming summer. I actually don't even think I've ever been that far north despite living here my whole life.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Sounds like a nice area. Over the past year I've explored the western portion of the state a little more and have found some cool places along the Delaware.
This is the general area we were driving around. We took Warsaw Road off of 29 to head east toward home. There are streams on either side of the road flowing over huge slabs of rock/boulders-I bet they're really gushing today. What interests me is the large unbroken expanse of wooded area bounded by Warford Road/Barbertown Idell Road, Route 29, and Barbertown-Kingtown Station Road. According to Google Maps it doesn't appear to be park land so I'm guessing it's all privately held-20 acres in the middle of all that would be my version of paradise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I'd like to go see Lake Hopatcong this coming summer. I actually don't even think I've ever been that far north despite living here my whole life.
Honestly, my wife used to work in Hopatcong, in my opinion its really nothing special. In its heyday it was quite a resort town, but to me it seems very cramped. The houses are on top of one another and its not all that peaceful. If you have a powerboat its a lot of fun, but I'd rather go to one of the reservoirs, etc...for hiking and swimming. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is worth a visit too. The Water Gap is probably the most beautiful and wild place in New Jersey.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Honestly, my wife used to work in Hopatcong, in my opinion its really nothing special. In its heyday it was quite a resort town, but to me it seems very cramped. The houses are on top of one another and its not all that peaceful. If you have a powerboat its a lot of fun, but I'd rather go to one of the reservoirs, etc...for hiking and swimming. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is worth a visit too. The Water Gap is probably the most beautiful and wild place in New Jersey.
Ahh, cramped quarters... welcome to New Jersey.

Sounds like it was a quite a place, and even though perhaps it's declined it would be a novelty for me. I have a boat but living in Ocean County it's already committed to a dock on the bay. And since I don't have a vehicle capable of towing the damn thing, it won't be hauled out 'til November. Still it would be cool to rent a boat there, as I've never boated in fresh water before.

I'd definitely like to explore the water gap as well. I've really only seen it from the highway driving into PA.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Hunterdon County is quite nice. I enjoy Frenchtown and the areas around the Delaware River.

Northwestern NJ is underrated. Give me Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon any day over Hudson, Union, and Essex.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,406 times
I liked Warren county better than Hunterdon, people are more down to earth, store owners are more talkative, Hunterdon is not nearly as friendly and if you try to strike up a conversation , they give you a quick answer and move along. They drive like they shop- and need to go back to school, Charm and Driving school...

Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasscutter View Post
I liked Warren county better than Hunterdon, people are more down to earth, store owners are more talkative, Hunterdon is not nearly as friendly and if you try to strike up a conversation , they give you a quick answer and move along. They drive like they shop- and need to go back to school, Charm and Driving school...
Everybody's a critic

Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Just about everyone is friendly to me everywhere that I go. Learn to read people; it helps.

I was just a few miles down the road Badfish. A friend and I hiked Sourland, E Mountain Rd. area. I'm sorry to to say that our time together was cut short. We were going to walk the trails off of Reillyville Road and maybe make another stop as well.

I love visiting central and northern NJ. I appreciate my 'backyard', southern NJ, but I grew up in NEPA with rocks and mountains.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Just about everyone is friendly to me everywhere that I go. Learn to read people; it helps.

I was just a few miles down the road Badfish. A friend and I hiked Sourland, E Mountain Rd. area. I'm sorry to to say that our time together was cut short. We were going to walk the trails off of Reillyville Road and maybe make another stop as well.

I love visiting central and northern NJ. I appreciate my 'backyard', southern NJ, but I grew up in NEPA with rocks and mountains.

Nice area huh....You walked right past my place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey