Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 16,032 times

Advertisements

any suggestions on where to live? Do people actually commute from NYC to NJ if they work in NJ? Where would you recommend someone like me live with a job in florham park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,895,803 times
Try Morristown. A lot of young singles living there. Look into the area around "The Green". Lots of restaurants and bars in walking distance.

Montclair is also a fairly easy commute to Florham Park and has a decent night life as well.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM

97 posts, read 310,059 times
I agree with Calico. I'd move by "The Green" in Morrisotwn. If you don't like that area, you can also try looking in Montclair. I do know some people that commute from Hoboken/Rutherford to that area, but that might be kind of far.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,032 times
Thanks for the responses. So nobody commutes from NYC? I guess that's too far?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 AM

97 posts, read 310,059 times
You could commute from the city if you have a car (then you have to deal with parking and all of that), but NJ is not mass transit friendly. Even if you take the train to Florham Park, you will probably have to walk a few miles just to get to your job. When it snows or rains, most likely you will be stuck walking in the snow since there aren't a lot of sidewalks. Another thing to consider is that there really isn't any trains going into NJ for the morning commute and trains leaving NJ for the evening commute.

If you want to live by the city, I would move to Hoboken (parking is a pain in the @ss though).

Old 05-05-2010, 02:26 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,948,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVols View Post
It's been done. Off the top of my head I can list 3 coworkers that lived in New York and commuted to NJ.

One guy lived in Brooklyn and commuted to Secaucus (combination of subway and NJ Transit ).
One guy lived in Poughkeepsie and commuted to Secaucus (combination of Metro North and NJ Transit).
One guy lived in Manhattan and commuted to Whippany (by car).

I've also known NJ people (from Old Bridge and East Brunswick) that have commuted to graveyard shift jobs in Manhattan. They'd take NJ Transit from NJ to Manhattan at around 11 PM at night, and then commute from Manhattan back home to NJ at 8:00 AM in the morning.

And then I've also had coworkers that lived in Pennsyltucky that have commuted to NJ and even to Manhattan.

It's all possible and it's all been done. It's a matter of what you want, and what you're willing to put up with.

It sounds like you're a New Yorker that's willing to relocated to NJ. Not sure what kind of town you're looking for, but I'm assuming you're looking for a diverse one with some downtown culture. Morristown is a good bet. So is Montclair. Also Summit. Maybe Madison. They are all easy driving commutes to Florham Park. 20 minutes or less. I'd rule out Hoboken. That'd be at least a 40 minute drive. Plus parking/traffic in Hoboken is a pain in the @ss as has already been mentioned.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,506,891 times
If you want to live in NYC there might be a convenient bus. A reverse commute is not impossible, and not too far.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,525,272 times
The thing with NYC is NYC is a PITA to get in & out of everyday. Also a big hassle to keep any car in Manhattan, as in you either have to pay what normal people pay for rent in parking fees or you have to keep moving the car around or get crazy tickets at ridiculous prices. NYC is hostile to people having cars, just the way it is.
Like the song says, "got's the ways and means, just won't let you be".

Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM

26 posts, read 68,654 times
As to the snow, a good amount of towns in NJ do not have sidewalks and the snow plows push the slush/snow/ice to side of road. You'd have a difficult time walking around in winter. Rents/condos/homes can be kind of high priced in Florham Park. You might like Millburn, Montclair or upper West Orange to live but you MUST have a car in New Jersey. Public transportation is terrible and dangerous, especially at night.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 AM

13,379 posts, read 28,633,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVols View Post
My son lives in NYC and commutes to Whitehouse Station in NJ..says it isn't to bad as in the AM more people are coming into NYC than leaving.

He lives in the West Village with his girl friend, usually takes Holland Tunnel but certain times of the year..like San Genaro Feast in Little Italy he takes different route when coming home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey