Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,381 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 yrs old and I'm going to be teaching up in Bergen county in ALLENDALE next to Saddle River-- between Rte 17 and 287. I was hoping to move to Hoboken in Sept. but I'll need to find a roommate and cross my fingers for an apartment and a parking space.

*Is there any cheaper substitute for Hoboken that's commutable to Allendale and Manhattan?*

I'd still like to have access to a train ride to NYC. I'm going to look at Hackensack this weekend, but I don't really know the other neighboring towns. What nearby towns are youngish (20s and 30s)? I'm willing to sacrifice Hoboken's bar and restaurant scene since I hope to go into the city on the weekends. Just somewhere medium-priced to find a roommate and a small apartment that's commutable to school, where I don't feel like the only recent college grad in town.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Last edited by peridot6; 06-12-2007 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 PM

209 posts, read 1,680,659 times
Montclair would be a pretty good choice. There are a lot of young people in the area. It would be a decent commute up the Garden State Parkway, if not a breeze. There is a train into NYC that doesn't take too long (I hink 45 minutes)/

Morristown also could work. It has a fair number of young people around. You could commute up 287, but it might be a tad trafficky. There is also a train into NYC but it takes a little longer.

Edgewater or Ft. Lee might be options that are closer to NYC but a little closer to your work than Manhattan, but the commute will be a bit longer than from Montclair.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,381 times
Default Other town options:

Thanks so much for the tips! Any ideas about these towns in relation to Allendale and NYC?

I guess I'm most interested in whether or not the town is youngish? Are there any "bad" parts? Prices? Convenience to NYC and upper Bergen county. Anyone need a roommate?

Montclair
Summit
S.Orange
Maplewood
Morristown
Bloomfield
Nutley
Edgewater

Old 06-24-2007, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,375 times
Would honestly avoid Edgewater. Just way too built up and the roads/infrastrucuture are having difficulty keeping up with the new residential buildings going up.
Great town if you want to commute to NYC via commute.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:04 AM

60 posts, read 454,486 times
Take a look at Jersey City, in the Grove Street area. There's a PATH station right there, and its not far from Hoboken so the drive should be comparable.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 PM

512 posts, read 1,749,884 times
Those are all great towns that you listed. My preference has always been Summit because, while it does have a good portion of young people, it does not have the annoying hipster-drunk vibe of other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey