Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think that NJ should pick either JC or Newark to revitalize. And I think JC would be the smart choice. There is a limited amount of funds, and I think if the revitilization is done right, Jersey city could become the next hot spot near Manhattan (similar commute to Manhattan as Brooklyn).

I think the state should focus on making JC at the moment. There are already a few nice sections in the city and its smaller then Newark, with a much better commute to the city.
Well, JC already IS the "next hot spot near Manhattan". Has been for at least 5 years, and it's definitely shown that gentrification can fight through tough economic times.

Also, JC is roughly the same size as Newark these days. JC should weigh in at about 260,000 in this census, and Newark is 280,000.

I root for Newark, I really do. But there are some MAJOR challenges. As Bob Kovacs said, Newark cannot command the same rents and sale prices as JC can, and here are a few reasons why:

- Housing stock/architecture. In Newark, the housing options are just not attractive physically. A HUGE reason why Jersey City gentrified is because the Downtown neighborhoods have truly beautiful brownstones and rowhouses. This exemplifies true urban charm, which "gentrifiers" are attracted to.

- Waterfront. Jersey City has one, and a nice one. JC's waterfront includes 3 marinas, most of which have waterside restaurants/bars. Newark is on the Passaic River, but there are no nice views. No marinas. Really nothing aesthetically pleasing to look at. On the Jersey City waterfront, you are staring straight at NYC and the Statue of Liberty. "Gentrifiers" like that stuff. Unfortunately, Newark just doesn't have those assets.

- Transportation. From JC, it's a 5 minute PATH ride to the World Trade Center. Newark is about 20. Jersey City and Hoboken feel truly integrated with NYC (in more ways than just proximity) - Newark, not so much.

Like I said, I root for Newark. But I don't think it can follow the same model as Jersey City and Hoboken did. Newark needs to market itself as it's own city. I think that Newark has a better opportunity to create it's own identity - while Jersey City and Hoboken will always be closely associated with NYC, hence the "6th Borough" nickname that some like and some hate.

I'm also jealous that Newark has a minor league baseball team. I wish JC had one (and for what it's worth, I think it'd be a lot more successful, financially).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I think that Newark has a better opportunity to create it's own identity - while Jersey City and Hoboken will always be closely associated with NYC, hence the "6th Borough" nickname that some like and some hate.
And this is why I would like to see a Newark renaissance. JC is great & all, but it tries to be something it's not.
NWK is New Jersey's real city. No "6th borough" crap (As if it was anyway. Go ask a NY'er if JC or Hoboken is the 6th borough & note the expression on their face).

Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM

220 posts, read 701,235 times
is the $38MM credit coming from state budget?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
And this is why I would like to see a Newark renaissance. JC is great & all, but it tries to be something it's not.
NWK is New Jersey's real city. No "6th borough" crap (As if it was anyway. Go ask a NY'er if JC or Hoboken is the 6th borough & note the expression on their face).
True, but for Newark to truly come around and gentrify, don't you think that it will have to "try to be something it's not", at least a LITTLE?

Newark's identity when it WAS a good city was hardworking families, that kept their neighborhoods clean. Nowadays, the types of things that attract hardworking families to urban neighborhoods are the types of things that will make people accuse Newark of "being something it's not" -- think Starbucks, cutesy cafes, walkable neighborhoods, etc.

The only families that desire to live in Newark currently are poor families. In order to bring in people who have money, to provide a tax base, there needs to be amenities.

That's why I think it's a stretch for Newark. I do hope it happens, but I just don't see the resources and assets that Hoboken and Jersey City have.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Newark has a the Busiest Port on the East Coast , one of the Busiest Airports in the US. Its at the JCT of 3 key Freight lines that shuttle freight all over the Northeast. Its at the JCT of almost all the Key highways in NJ. Its located along the Northeast Corridor the busiest Passenger Railway in North America. Soon it will be located at the end of the Lehigh & Lackawanna Lines. Newark will become the hub of 80% of NJ's Proposed Light Rail network. Compared to Jersey City and Hoboken , Newark has a bigger edge. + Its self-sustaining, it doesn't feed off NYC.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Newark has a the Busiest Port on the East Coast , one of the Busiest Airports in the US. Its at the JCT of 3 key Freight lines that shuttle freight all over the Northeast. Its at the JCT of almost all the Key highways in NJ. Its located along the Northeast Corridor the busiest Passenger Railway in North America. Soon it will be located at the end of the Lehigh & Lackawanna Lines. Newark will become the hub of 80% of NJ's Proposed Light Rail network. Compared to Jersey City and Hoboken , Newark has a bigger edge. + Its self-sustaining, it doesn't feed off NYC.
Agreed. But none of those things are assets that attract "gentrifiers".

Old 05-06-2010, 02:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Agreed. But none of those things are assets that attract "gentrifiers".
With a Push it can , a little sales pitch to those big real estate developers and bam Newark will become just as big and nice as JC.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
With a Push it can , a little sales pitch to those big real estate developers and bam Newark will become just as big and nice as JC.
I really wish it was that easy!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,595,800 times
I agree with Toomy to some extent. To truely gentrify Newark, you really do need to bring in people with money to increase your tax reveneue. But who says that there is no possibilities for this in Downtown and the Ironbound Districts? Even if the architecture isn't so historic and pleasing to the eye, who says that it can't be improved?

Also, while JC may indeed be a bit quicker to get into Manhatten, who says that Newark isn't also a easy trip in. Here in Bergen County I know many people that make the commute into Manhatten everyday and believe me, it is a longer commute than from Newark. It should be noted that while proximity to Manhatten does help, not all people that live in New Jersey commute to NYC.

Finally, if there can be more affordable housing (I do not mean for low income individuals) than in JC, it would only make sense to choice Newark if you can get a better deal for only midly longer commute.

Now, to allow JC to continue on gentrifying does not mean that we ahve to abandon Newark. Who says it only has to be one city that improves. Newark is our largest, most historic and centrally located city. Also, it is home to our international airport, seaport, many buissness (like Horizon Blue Cross), largest library in the state, etc. JC is already on the road to recovery, now its time to focus in on Newark. (I am not trying to sound too optimistic, I still have little hope for other cities like Camden, but Newark does seem to have the potential). The issue of actually constructing the tower may be an issue but they got the NJPAC and city subway constructed! Hence, to slowly bring back NEwark makes a lot more sense to me than simply abandoning it.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
Well, JC already IS the "next hot spot near Manhattan". Has been for at least 5 years, and it's definitely shown that gentrification can fight through tough economic times.

Also, JC is roughly the same size as Newark these days. JC should weigh in at about 260,000 in this census, and Newark is 280,000.
According to census estimates, Newark has been growing faster than JC over the past decade, so if anything Newark is pulling farther ahead. JC has only been growing at about 1% per year since 2000.

Quote:
I root for Newark, I really do. But there are some MAJOR challenges. As Bob Kovacs said, Newark cannot command the same rents and sale prices as JC can, and here are a few reasons why:

- Housing stock/architecture. In Newark, the housing options are just not attractive physically. A HUGE reason why Jersey City gentrified is because the Downtown neighborhoods have truly beautiful brownstones and rowhouses. This exemplifies true urban charm, which "gentrifiers" are attracted to.
Ugly housing stock didn't keep "gentrifiers" out of Greenpoint, and it's not keeping them out of Journal Square anymore.

Quote:
- Waterfront. Jersey City has one, and a nice one. JC's waterfront includes 3 marinas, most of which have waterside restaurants/bars. Newark is on the Passaic River, but there are no nice views. No marinas. Really nothing aesthetically pleasing to look at. On the Jersey City waterfront, you are staring straight at NYC and the Statue of Liberty. "Gentrifiers" like that stuff. Unfortunately, Newark just doesn't have those assets.
Do you know what the JC waterfront looked like 20-30 years ago? A lot worse than Newark's does today. Newport wasn't built in a day. Don't forget how far JC had to come. The Passaic Riverfront has the potential to be a really great urban space. Harrison already has new development going on in its riverfront district. Hopefully Newark can do the same, but it will take a long time to build it all out.

Quote:
- Transportation. From JC, it's a 5 minute PATH ride to the World Trade Center. Newark is about 20. Jersey City and Hoboken feel truly integrated with NYC (in more ways than just proximity) - Newark, not so much.
This is true, but Newark is more of a transportation hub than JC/Hob. I schlep to Newark when I want to take an Amtrak train or an airplane somewhere. Almost all of the NJT lines go through Newark. It's better connected to the outside world.

Quote:
Like I said, I root for Newark. But I don't think it can follow the same model as Jersey City and Hoboken did. Newark needs to market itself as it's own city. I think that Newark has a better opportunity to create it's own identity - while Jersey City and Hoboken will always be closely associated with NYC, hence the "6th Borough" nickname that some like and some hate.
I think EVERY city should have/preserve its own identity.

Quote:
I'm also jealous that Newark has a minor league baseball team. I wish JC had one (and for what it's worth, I think it'd be a lot more successful, financially).
Indeed, Newark has more of the cultural institutions that make a great city than JC has. Newark has the Bears stadium, the Prudential Center, NJPAC. World class stuff.

Jersey City has boomed because it is wrapped up in the NYC universe. It's easy to get from JC to NYC, but it's hard to get to JC from anywhere else in NJ. Newark has the potential to be NJ's premier city. It will hopefully become (A) a great place to live, and (B) a place folks from throughout the state will want to come visit and enjoy.

I think residents of NJ should be rooting for the revitalization of all of the state's cities, including Newark and JC. There's no reason to put all of the eggs in one basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey