Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 PM

431 posts, read 942,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well, JC already IS the "next hot spot near Manhattan". Has been for at least 5 years, and it's definitely shown that gentrification can fight through tough economic times.

Also, JC is roughly the same size as Newark these days. JC should weigh in at about 260,000 in this census, and Newark is 280,000.

I root for Newark, I really do. But there are some MAJOR challenges. As Bob Kovacs said, Newark cannot command the same rents and sale prices as JC can, and here are a few reasons why:

- Housing stock/architecture. In Newark, the housing options are just not attractive physically. A HUGE reason why Jersey City gentrified is because the Downtown neighborhoods have truly beautiful brownstones and rowhouses. This exemplifies true urban charm, which "gentrifiers" are attracted to.

- Waterfront. Jersey City has one, and a nice one. JC's waterfront includes 3 marinas, most of which have waterside restaurants/bars. Newark is on the Passaic River, but there are no nice views. No marinas. Really nothing aesthetically pleasing to look at. On the Jersey City waterfront, you are staring straight at NYC and the Statue of Liberty. "Gentrifiers" like that stuff. Unfortunately, Newark just doesn't have those assets.

- Transportation. From JC, it's a 5 minute PATH ride to the World Trade Center. Newark is about 20. Jersey City and Hoboken feel truly integrated with NYC (in more ways than just proximity) - Newark, not so much.

Like I said, I root for Newark. But I don't think it can follow the same model as Jersey City and Hoboken did. Newark needs to market itself as it's own city. I think that Newark has a better opportunity to create it's own identity - while Jersey City and Hoboken will always be closely associated with NYC, hence the "6th Borough" nickname that some like and some hate.

I'm also jealous that Newark has a minor league baseball team. I wish JC had one (and for what it's worth, I think it'd be a lot more successful, financially).

You should see how empty the stands are.. its embarrassing.

example:
YouTube - Artie Lange Throws Pitch at Newark Bears Game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
the NJ Gold Coast represents NYC more then Jersey.
No it doesn't, the people that live there just want it to. They are B&T like the rest of us.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Sorry if reality is a bummer for you. So Newark has had their lines since the 50's yet it has had a decidedly down turn in that period so it doesn't make sense that they will somehow now revitalize the city. Again the ports have been there for a long time, it doesn't make any sense to claim that they will now be a huge factor in Newarks renaissance.

Newark's industry has done little to improve it's fortunes and clearly you have never been to downtown JC, it is doing just fine thank you.

Newark will never have 2 things JC has. A terrific view of Manhattan and Newark will never be as close to NYC as JC is.
During the Summer i go to Jersey City 2x a week ive to been to every Neighborhood at 5x. Ive been to every NJ city at least 20x.

Taken on 3/7/10 in DT Jersey City? Doesn't look very vibrant to me...

Comes off cold and non vibrant here too

OMG look its people , in Newark? LOL

Hoboken & parts of Newport are the only vibrant areas of the NJ Gold Coast. Even those can't compare to Newark's Downtown daily foot traffic.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
You should see how empty the stands are.. its embarrassing.

example:
YouTube - Artie Lange Throws Pitch at Newark Bears Game

Yeah the Bears are a joke. I went to one of their games really hoping to like it. I am a huge Blue Claws fan. they have a great product. the Bears were so disappointing.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
During the Summer i go to Jersey City 2x a week ive to been to every Neighborhood at 5x. Ive been to every NJ city at least 20x.

Hoboken & parts of Newport are the only vibrant areas of the NJ Gold Coast. Even those can't compare to Newark's Downtown daily foot traffic.
Ah yes pictures of RR tracks LOL. Take a trip through Newport with your camera one day my friend. You simply can't argue that Newark is a more desireable place to live and play than JC.

One more thing for giggles look at the JC pictures, notice the people are bundled up, There are even Christmas decorations up. Now look at the Newark pictures everyone is in shirt sleves. And the poster is surprised there are fewer people on the streets in the winter. LOL.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ah yes pictures of RR tracks LOL. Take a trip through Newport with your camera one day my friend. You simply can't argue that Newark is a more desireable place to live and play than JC.

One more thing for giggles look at the JC pictures, notice the people are bundled up, There are even Christmas decorations up. Now look at the Newark pictures everyone is in shirt sleves. And the poster is surprised there are fewer people on the streets in the winter. LOL.
If you have nothing nice to say about Newark , then please don't post on this thread. Everytime there's a Newark topic you , post only negative comments. & Its getting annoying and i'm sure the other members agree with me. Even when the edivence and proof is right infront of you , you continue to argue. Just stop it please.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
If you have nothing nice to say about Newark , then please don't post on this thread. Everytime there's a Newark topic you , post only negative comments. & Its getting annoying and i'm sure the other members agree with me. Even when the edivence and proof is right infront of you , you continue to argue. Just stop it please.

I don't always post negative about Newark. You are such a cheerleader for Newark you can't see that it is going nowhere. It is this type of mentality that is keeping Newark where it is. You see Newrk as you wish it were. I see it as it is. You somehow feel the need to constantly compare Newark to established gentrified cities such as Hoboken and JC. As long as you continue to do that I will continue to correct you.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Lets not get the thread closed. Proof is subjective which is why we are here to discuss. As a newarker I can see some of the reasons outsiders despise Newark. I've dealt first hand with some of the ignorant people in Newark that give it a bad rap and I've also met people on the other end as well. In fact if the Universities weren't here I probably wouldn't live here either as there isn't much here as I'm not a hockey fan or a bar hopper or portugese

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Lets not get the thread closed. Proof is subjective which is why we are here to discuss. As a newarker I can see some of the reasons outsiders despise Newark. I've dealt first hand with some of the ignorant people in Newark that give it a bad rap and I've also met people on the other end as well. In fact if the Universities weren't here I probably wouldn't live here either as there isn't much here as I'm not a hockey fan or a bar hopper or portugese

I am with you, I am rooting for Newark if for no other reason than to stop their dependence on the state. A strong Newark only helps the state.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I don't know JC looks more uniform, clean and proper. Newark in those pix look dirty, chaotic, mismatched and no uniformity.. almost like a shanty town. If you want the beauty of Newark show university heights, 1180, the rock arena, memorial or branch brook park, the museum, rutgers campus or njit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey