Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Alright i get it , you hate Newark and want it to fail.......keep those thoughts in your head......
End of topic.
Anyway , back to the Skyscraper , where exactly is this building going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I agree that it's a hell hole at this point, but so is your beloved Newark.
Newark has WAY more going for it than Camden.
Why would people choose to live in Camden when Philly has its own craphole neighborhoods to gentrify?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
True , but you see ......its not a true Downtown like Newark or Elizabeth its a fake downtown that is only buzzing with ppl on the weekdays. Also the people come off cold in much of NJ Gold , unlike Newark. At least people still say hi to each other in Newark. But the NJ Gold Coast is turning into a Manhattan slowly....
Ohh, yeah- you can just see all the people high-fiving each other, shaking hands, and hugging in front of "Wee Bee Toys". Are you serious with this post?

You took pictures of Newark's shopping district, which is a bunch of discount stores, fast food restaurants, and chicken/rib joints, and you try to compare them to the corporate office area of Jersey City- that's a pretty lame comparison. And how many of the folks who move into the new skyscraper that's being touted in this thread do you think will be shopping at "Wee Bee Toys" and "EZ Pickins" or eating at "Planet Wings" on Broad Street????

Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Ohh, yeah- you can just see all the people high-fiving each other, shaking hands, and hugging in front of "Wee Bee Toys". Are you serious with this post?

You took pictures of Newark's shopping district, which is a bunch of discount stores, fast food restaurants, and chicken/rib joints, and you try to compare them to the corporate office area of Jersey City- that's a pretty lame comparison. And how many of the folks who move into the new skyscraper that's being touted in this thread do you think will be shopping at "Wee Bee Toys" and "EZ Pickins" or eating at "Planet Wings" on Broad Street????
High-fiving, shaking hands, and hugging lol,lol,lol. I don't see what foot traffic has to do with anything. IMO Downtown JC and Journal square have just as much foot traffic as Newark, actually Journal square comes off as a mini Newark to me. I don't feel like comparing foot traffic is important in comparing the two cities, besides there is probably more people who walk along Bergenline Avenue in North Hudson in a day than any street in Newark or Jersey City.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 AM

I don't think this skyscraper is really a good idea. I feel that the way Newark is going to have the turn around they want is going to be totally different than that of JC or Hoboken. I think Newark is going to have to start with business. Their plan should be to get people to work there first then slowly get people to live there. Then it would be work in Newark, live in Newark, and play in NYC. While I see JC as live in JC, work and play in NYC. And Hoboken is live here, play here, but work in NYC.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i'd love to see it get built

Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,189 times
Quote:
Alright i get it , you hate Newark and want it to fail.......keep those thoughts in your head......
End of topic.
Anyway , back to the Skyscraper , where exactly is this building going?
Oh, give it a rest. Nobody "hates" Newark. How can one "hate" a city, a municipal entity, in the first place? I will say that I don't particularly care about Newark one way or the other, and I'm not sure why so many other people who have never set foot outside of suburban NJ in their lives except to go to a Devils game find it so appealing to wax poetic about a poor, urban area filled with gangs and drugs.

I can tell you that personally, Newark's crime rate would have to fall to NYC's before I would ever consider living there. I don't want to live in a "safe neighborhood," rather, I would want to live in a "safe city." What's the point in living in one of these "gentrified" sections if the bloods and crips are exchanging gunfire three blocks away in a non-gentrified neighborhood? You're basically a prisoner to your fancy condo complex or yuppie-infested two block radius. Cities like Newark will not be habitable until the entire city gets its crime problem in check. Also, NO families will ever move in and send their children to the Newark public schools... none, nada, zilch. So let's just get that one the table as well.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i'd love to see it get built

I would to if it wasn't mainly residential. I just don't see anyone paying the amounts they will probably have to in rent/mortgage for that building anywhere in Newark.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am with you, I am rooting for Newark if for no other reason than to stop their dependence on the state. A strong Newark only helps the state.
Umm....Jersey City AND Hoboken receive aid from the state

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
True , but you see ......its not a true Downtown like Newark or Elizabeth its a fake downtown that is only buzzing with ppl on the weekdays. Also the people come off cold in much of NJ Gold , unlike Newark. At least people still say hi to each other in Newark. But the NJ Gold Coast is turning into a Manhattan slowly....
Nexis, in Jersey City you have to go to the residential and retail parts of Downtown - Grove Street, Newark Avenue, Jersey Avenue. And on the waterfront walkways. Go there on a sunny September day and report your findings. Much more impressive than Newark.

Exchange Place is very much like Lower Manhattan -- empty outside of work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey