Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 24,253 times

Advertisements

Hi folks

I am an international student looking to apply to the US for MA in International Relations for Fall 11. I really liked the IR program of Seton Hall and it has become one of my top choices.

I understand it is a tier 3 university and 25% of first year students had hs cgpa between 2.5-2.9. I don't have an amazing cgpa either. Currently in my last year with cgpa 2.8. I have worked in an international NGO for two months and will work in two more by the time I graduate. I haven't taken TOEFL and GRE yet. I really want to know my chances of getting accepted into Seton Hall with my results and ECA.

I'm very worried thinking I might not get accepted anywhere. My other choices are: West Virginia University, SUNY Buffalo, Eastern Illinois University and University of Masachussets Amherst. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Just apply. Worst case is you get rejected. Tons of things go into applications...Alot has to do with 'Who you know' and not what you know. If you have family that went there or made contributions, you have better chance.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the response todd. Unfortunately I do not have anyone who went to SHU. Yes, I will surely apply but would feel better if I knew what are the odds of getting into the mentioned schools. Any ideas/suggestions?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triarii View Post
Thanks for the response todd. Unfortunately I do not have anyone who went to SHU. Yes, I will surely apply but would feel better if I knew what are the odds of getting into the mentioned schools. Any ideas/suggestions?
Not sure about international rates but West Virginia is more than likely the cheapest of all....UMASS any campus is $$$$$ and Seton Hall is very expensive as it's a private Catholic University..if app fees are hefty I would apply to Seton Hall as it seems that is where you want to be and West Virginia as well

GOOD LUCK

Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
if you have the money you will get in. I graduated Seton Hall with a 3.9 average and was stoned out of my mind everyday!!! Dont worry, you will get in. If you have the money or aid, you will get in!!!!! Trust me, they only look at the money. I know this but note is not cheap.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triarii View Post
Hi folks

I am an international student looking to apply to the US for MA in International Relations for Fall 11. I really liked the IR program of Seton Hall and it has become one of my top choices.

I understand it is a tier 3 university and 25% of first year students had hs cgpa between 2.5-2.9. I don't have an amazing cgpa either. Currently in my last year with cgpa 2.8. I have worked in an international NGO for two months and will work in two more by the time I graduate. I haven't taken TOEFL and GRE yet. I really want to know my chances of getting accepted into Seton Hall with my results and ECA.

I'm very worried thinking I might not get accepted anywhere. My other choices are: West Virginia University, SUNY Buffalo, Eastern Illinois University and University of Masachussets Amherst. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks
You will get in as long as you have the money. My husbands cousin went there.

Diane in Nashville-No flood by me. I won't even live near a stream. no less a river.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not sure about international rates but West Virginia is more than likely the cheapest of all....UMASS any campus is $$$$$ and Seton Hall is very expensive as it's a private Catholic University..if app fees are hefty I would apply to Seton Hall as it seems that is where you want to be and West Virginia as well

GOOD LUCK
Yeah I think West Virginia University is a state school. It is the cheapest of the lot. Thanks for your encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
if you have the money you will get in. I graduated Seton Hall with a 3.9 average and was stoned out of my mind everyday!!! Dont worry, you will get in. If you have the money or aid, you will get in!!!!! Trust me, they only look at the money. I know this but note is not cheap.
Wow you sound a lot like my friend. He's stoned out of his mind everyday and only difference is, well, he's been consistently failing all his courses for the last two years. Seems like you're a bit more talented than him. No, seriously, 3.9? Wow how did you ever manage that? A gpa like that ain't a matter of joke.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I will be paying the whole tuition myself. Since, you've been a student there I really feel encouraged by your words. Could you give me an idea of how much I'll need to spend per year including living and other expenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
You will get in as long as you have the money. My husbands cousin went there.

Diane in Nashville-No flood by me. I won't even live near a stream. no less a river.
Thanks Diane! Btw, I have a question for both of you. My plan is to do a PHD after Master's. Since Seton Hall is a tier 3 university, will I be able to get into good PHD schools if I graduate from SHU with good grades?

Thanks a lot folks for your words. Moreover, do you guys think I might have a shot in UMass Amherst with my stats?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM

46 posts, read 166,115 times
I also went to Seton Hall. Just like Stevemorse, I was always stoned (and sometimes drunk) out of my mind when I went to class. Had a 3.4 GPA.

SHU is all about the money. I didn't have money, but I got in as a transfer student from another "rich kid college."

Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 PM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Geez, nice to hear that you guys graduated and were always stoned? our daughter graduated from there. and believe me it was a struggle money wise to keep here there....We were not wealthy but not
"poor enough" for a free ride....Why would you brag about being stoned and getting through college?
I wish I had the chance to have gone to college, but since both my parents died before I was 16, that
wasn't possible.....shame on you.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM

315 posts, read 871,191 times
Better if you got a good jump shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey