Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM

256 posts, read 398,274 times

Advertisements

I'm used to going to a college gym where I can get pickup games pretty easily. But I'll be moving to Bergen county soon and was wondering if anyone knew of some good indoor AND outdoor basketball courts around the area that has a lot of people who play there frequently.

Indoor courts are great, and I'm sure a few gyms have basketball courts, but the ones I've been to in the past didn't have a lot of activity. People mainly went to the gym to run or lift weights. I'd like to find one where basketball is a pretty popular activity.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Hackensack has the YMCA where people are frequently in the bball courts. (indoor)
Nearby Maywood at memorial park always have people playing on the bball courts on any nice day. (outdoor)

Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,300 times
in tenafly, the outdoor basketball courts on tenafly road near riveredge road are always busy. lots of people come from neighboring towns (englewood, teaneck, bergenfield) to take part in pickup games at these courts.

there are also two outdoor courts in closter. one of them is on harrington avenue just west of the downtown area/railroad tracks; the other is on ruckman road on the east side of town. as i recall, the harrington avenue location tended to be busier, but you should check out both if you're in the area.

for indoor facilities, you may want to consider hoop heaven on hopper avenue in waldwick, which is a popular spot for adult and youth basketball leagues and youth summer camps (never been there myself). while i'd assume that there are plenty of pickup games since the place is focused on hoops only, you should contact them to find out for sure; it might be open only to organized leagues, camps, and clinics.

i don't know how much it costs to become a member, but here's the contact information:
hoopheaven.com

also, the 24 hour fitness gym on route 17 south in hasbrouck heights has a large indoor basketball court. i would suggest searching online for a guest pass (they usually offer 1 or 2 week trials) and then checking out these courts for yourself.

whichever place you end up choosing, please make sure to check back in here and post your findings for the benefit of others.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 PM

271 posts, read 417,011 times
votee in teaneck .. mccay in englewood ( if you cant really BALL it might not even be safe if that makes since ) tenafly has an indoor court wednesday nights at mount carmel by the outdoor court ... city sports on rt 4 ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey