Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:00 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
1) Teachers show up for work 180 times per school year.

2) Teachers teach for 7 hrs per day and get an hour lunch

3) Teachers take work home.

4) Teachers volunteer their time for after school clubs & sports teams.

5) Teachers make up new lesson plans every new school year

6) Teachers are underpaid.

7) Teachers & their families do not get taxpayer funded medical, dental, prescription,eyeglass & life insurance

8) Teachers really don't get 205 days off per year and if they did, they're actually doing things for the children while not actually at school

9) Teachers don't get sick days, emergency days, personal days, snow days etc etc

10) Teachers don't get gifts (cash or otherwise) from their students.

Really the biggest myth the teachers union say is:

IT's FOR THE KIDS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
1) Teachers show up for work 180 times per school year.

We are required to work 190.

2) Teachers teach for 7 hrs per day and get an hour lunch

My contracted day is 7.5 hours, I have 30 minute lunch and 45 minute plan period. Other part of the day is teaching or administrative duty (lunch duty, study hall, in school suspension, academic learning center etc.~it's with students and I'm accountable for the students during that time). If I am absent I am responsible for the work that takes place that day, no one sends my work to voice mail or leaves a pink "while you were out" note on my desk.

3) Teachers take work home.

Oh you bet the good ones do~and they come in at night and stay until 5 o'clock preparing for the next day.

4) Teachers volunteer their time for after school clubs & sports teams.

Yep, some volunteer, others are paid~but it equates to about zilch per hour for some of the clubs/activities, and did I mention that you are still responsible for students? Their behavior, performance and their safety?

5) Teachers make up new lesson plans every new school year

Curriculum changes, text books change, classes change, and in the high school you may switch the courses you teach and the schedule can switch from one semester to the next. There is no way you could submit the same lesson plans, a clever administrator would catch on in no time.

6) Teachers are underpaid.

They were until about 1995, since then they've been making a decent wage. I was teaching in NJ in the early '80's when the 18,500 incentive was mandated and I had to get a raise to make what a starting teacher was making! And it was probably my 6th year of teaching!

7) Teachers & their families do not get taxpayer funded medical, dental, prescription,eyeglass & life insurance

I pay 10% of my premium and it's only for medical and dental, with a high deductible. I'm glad I get that.

8) Teachers really don't get 205 days off per year and if they did, they're actually doing things for the children while not actually at school

365-190=175 days - 11 major holidays and 100 Saturday/Sunday's=64 days off~summer school, second job, family time, prepping for beginning of year on your own time, attending summer workshops, tutoring, teaching summer school.

9) Teachers don't get sick days, emergency days, personal days, snow days etc etc

We do get sick days and personal days. Snow days we make up, just like your children.

10) Teachers don't get gifts (cash or otherwise) from their students.
Not at the high school level you don't.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post

IT's FOR THE KIDS!!!!

If you were a dedicated teacher you would understand better why that statement is true but since your profile states that you don't even have a job how could one possibly understand how rewarding teachers find working with and helping children ?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM

162 posts, read 312,866 times
Quote:

IT's FOR THE KIDS!!!!
Get a job and then talk

Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
Get a job and then talk
I don't believe I need a job..doing just fine..I already worked 45 years..I'M RETIRED!!!

But still pay taxes like all.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
If you were a dedicated teacher you would understand better why that statement is true but since your profile states that you don't even have a job how could one possibly understand how rewarding teachers find working with and helping children ?
No job.. could mean a lot of things. Unemployed, disable, homemaker (yes some are males), attending college, most are like me though retired!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Point of all this is..the teachers union always say its for the KIDS..and I know damm well they don't give a damm about kids!

The union is not the ones who teach..but are the ones who drive around in BMW's from union dues, thats all they care about the union dues!

Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Quote:
No job.. could mean a lot of things. Unemployed, disable, homemaker (yes some are males), attending college, most are like me though retired!

Job or no job........you couldn't be more wrong.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default RI redo

Can you say, "Rhode Island" ?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM

577 posts, read 979,199 times
RE:.the teachers union always say its for the KIDS.

"Its for the teachers" pure and simple. A teacher does nothing for the kids it all about their pockets and how much money and benefits they could squeeze out of taxpayers for a part time job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey