Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM

574 posts, read 973,270 times

Advertisements

1) Teachers show up for work 180 times per school year.

2) Teachers teach for 7 hrs per day and get an hour lunch

3) Teachers take work home.

4) Teachers volunteer their time for after school clubs & sports teams.

5) Teachers make up new lesson plans every new school year

6) Teachers are underpaid.

7) Teachers & their families do not get taxpayer funded medical, dental, prescription,eyeglass & life insurance

8) Teachers really don't get 205 days off per year and if they did, they're actually doing things for the children while not actually at school

9) Teachers don't get sick days, emergency days, personal days, snow days etc etc

10) Teachers don't get gifts (cash or otherwise) from their students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM

119 posts, read 383,507 times
My sister in law is a teacher and I can tell you from personal experience your "myths" are BS on points: 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10. The other statements are so over broad I'm not sure where I would even begin (i.e. point 6, some teachers ARE underpaid, and some are overpaid, just like every other profession).

You really think there are no teachers that take work home with them? None of them run club or sport teams for the schools? None of them make new lesson plans? What type of school did you grow up in?

Last edited by Jfoldno7; 05-08-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoldno7 View Post
My sister in law is a teacher and I can tell you from personal experience your "myths" are BS on points: 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10. The other statements are so over broad I'm not sure where I would even begin (i.e. point 6, some teachers ARE underpaid, and some are overpaid, just like every other profession).

You really think there are no teachers that take work home with them? None of them run club or sport teams for the schools? None of them make new lesson plans? What type of school did you grow up in?
You really have to learn not to take the bait.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 PM

119 posts, read 383,507 times
I'm avoiding studying for a law school exam, so I don't have a whole lot going on for a Saturday night.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:23 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoldno7 View Post
I'm avoiding studying for a law school exam, so I don't have a whole lot going on for a Saturday night.
Can't argue with that.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,031,783 times
True, unless you're sick

6 hr 15 min teach and 45 min lunch is what I get

I do most of the time

They get paid for it

You cannot use the same lesson plans from year to year. Your students are not the same from year to year. My lesson plans have to be handed in on a daily basis.

Depends on where you work. I've been a teacher for years now and am still not above 50k. I would hardly call that underpaid but it's not an extraordinary amount when you consider what other people make in other fields.

7) Teachers & their families do not get taxpayer funded medical, dental, prescription,eyeglass & life insurance
most of them do unless you work at private schools

8) Teachers really don't get 205 days off per year and if they did, they're actually doing things for the children while not actually at school
A lot of days that I am off or after school I have to do related work. My summer off is unpaid as well. NOt all teachers get paid on a 12 month scale.

9) Teachers don't get sick days, emergency days, personal days, snow days etc etc
I get 3 personal and 13 sick. I know corporate people that get a lot more than that.

It depends on the parents. I don't get gifts from everyone. Most of the time those gifts are just flowers, body washes and soaps, books, candles, a perfume, or candy. NOthing extraordinary anyone should be jealous about teachers receiving. It's not like we're getting bonuses, cars, vacations, etc.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:48 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
it is so hard for me to understand why americans hate well paid civil servants.
american labor is anti labor.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM

4,284 posts, read 10,721,884 times

This is absolutely true. More then 180 times per year in fact (teachers typically have to work 10-15 more days then students attend school)

Depends on the grade level. Everyone but HS teachers teach at least 6 hours a day however.

They certainly do...

Some do, others dont. Teachers get a stipend for the majority of these programs however.

They are required to submit a lesson plan to school administration every week. I assume that most of them dont have the nerve to submit the same weekly plan year after year...

This is a personal opinion...

How do teachers get 205 days off a year? State mandates schools need to be in session 180 days a year. 365-180=185. Plus teachers work about 10-15 days extra without students being present.

Who is trying to "sell you" this? Of course they get these... Just like every other job out there.

They do get Christmas gifts and end of the year presents from students.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 AM

162 posts, read 312,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post

keep drinking the kool-aid

Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,403,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post

Sorry you chose the wrong career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey