Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,405,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Lam-

The OP mentions "really good places to eat" around the stadium. Last time I checked, the stadium was in the middle of what's basically an industrial wasteland- has there been a build-up of businesses around the stadium??
Please refrain from insulting my home town a wasteland. Keep silly immature comments to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,300,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Please refrain from insulting my home town a wasteland. Keep silly immature comments to yourself.
I'm sorry- is there some other term you'd prefer to use for an area filled with abandoned, defunct manufacturing facilities that are waiting to be torn down? That's what surrounds the Red Bulls stadium- so it's a statement of fact- not an insult. The truth hurts sometimes, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the truth.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,762,733 times
The immediate area around the stadium (i.e. below 280) is still being built up (I don't think I'd call it "industrial wasteland", which implies it's just sitting abandoned and neglected with nothing being done there), but the area just outside of the arena and the parking lot area is full of good eating options in Harrison, Kearny, and Newark/Ironbound. I remember a place called "Hamburgao" which was an awesome Brazilian burger joint that I went to years ago, and Kearny is known for good fish'n'chips, and of course the Ironbound is known for its awesome Spanish and Portuguese and Italian food.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,405,612 times
Quote:
I'm sorry- is there some other term you'd prefer to use for an area filled with abandoned, defunct manufacturing facilities that are waiting to be torn down? That's what surrounds the Red Bulls stadium- so it's a statement of fact- not an insult. The truth hurts sometimes, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the truth.
Ok tough guy. Come to my wasteland town so I can show you around.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,073,852 times
I think there's a misunderstanding going around here:

Yes, the area immediately surrounding the arena (excluding adjacent municipalities) is empty surface lots.

I can see how this could be received as an insult (to a degree) but I don't think it was intended to be as such.

The town of Harrison itself is not a 'wasteland', but the arena site used to be industrial ground (it still shows some evidence). That's not a testament to the town, but simply to that area (which has seen the town slowly reclaim it for the last few years)

Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,779,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I think there's a misunderstanding going around here:

Yes, the area immediately surrounding the arena (excluding adjacent municipalities) is empty surface lots.

I can see how this could be received as an insult (to a degree) but I don't think it was intended to be as such.

The town of Harrison itself is not a 'wasteland', but the arena site used to be industrial ground (it still shows some evidence). That's not a testament to the town, but simply to that area (which has seen the town slowly reclaim it for the last few years)
Only 10% of Harrison is what people would call a wasteland ....the rest is nice townhouses and apartments......I wonder why the town hasn't forced Red Bull to tear down the factories and abandoned buildings. There a blight on the surrounding area and make NJ look bad on a In't level

Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,564,596 times
Quote:
That's what I thought. I know Advance Realty had big plans for a bunch of mixed-use development adjacent to the stadium, but that took a dump with the economy, and isn't likely to come back anytime really soon.

One of the development companies (Can't remember which one) said they would start vertical construction within 90 days and that was in the beginning of April, so it will be within 2 months now.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Only 10% of Harrison is what people would call a wasteland ....the rest is nice townhouses and apartments......I wonder why the town hasn't forced Red Bull to tear down the factories and abandoned buildings. There a blight on the surrounding area and make NJ look bad on a In't level

Tearing down those structures not only benefits Harrison, but the Red Bulls themselves as well (simply b/c they're right there as fans enter the arena)

Now with that said, the arena was pretty much just completed for this season. So stuff like the developments that were planned will take time (especially since the recession. After all, remember that beautiful rendering of Newark's planned 'arena district'?)

In the meantime, my proposal would be to lay down grass to cover the dirt, and as you said: knock those structures down. It would have a more immediate aesthetic effect given the $$ circumstances.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,564,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Tearing down those structures not only benefits Harrison, but the Red Bulls themselves as well (simply b/c they're right there as fans enter the arena)

Now with that said, the arena was pretty much just completed for this season. So stuff like the developments that were planned will take time (especially since the recession. After all, remember that beautiful rendering of Newark's planned 'arena district'?)

In the meantime, my proposal would be to lay down grass to cover the dirt, and as you said: knock those structures down. It would have a more immediate aesthetic effect given the $$ circumstances.
I noticed they put banners of red bull players on the front of the one factory, I guess they felt like it would make it look a little better.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I noticed they put banners of red bull players on the front of the one factory, I guess they felt like it would make it look a little better.
I guess it's good until they knock those bad boys down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey