Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM

133 posts, read 629,473 times

Advertisements

We have never been to the Jersey Shore. We were trying to find an amusement park to take my kids arriving on Wed. and staying through the weekend. Is it a nightmare on memorial day week/weekend? I have been to a 6 flags in NJ and it was so crowded and the lines so long we gave up and drove back to NY. It was dangerously crowded! Will I be in the same situation at Ocean City that week? Or, other suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Well, the towns themselves aren't crowded to the point of wanting to leave or anything. If you're coming from North Jersey or the Philly 'burbs, it's the traffic that will make you want to drive off whatever bridge gets you to your favorite vacation destination. I was in Ocean City a few days ago and the 9th St. Bridge (Rt. 52 causeway) is an absolutely disaster area. I pity anyone who will be driving over it in a few weeks.

There's not much you can do about it.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
I agree about the traffic. As for what any beach town is like during Memorial day weekend, I don't know, I'm always sure to stay home/inland/areas that involve not using shore bound roads.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I haven't found Memorial Day to be as crowded as, say, any non-holiday weekend in July. My family including the kids come down on Memorial Day as well as other holidays, and really the only one that is horrible crowd-wise IMO is 4th of July. The weekly rentals, etc don't really start until school gets out, so I think that keeps M Day manageable.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 PM

49 posts, read 149,348 times
Yes, the drive in and out of OC is insane. However, the crowds in the town are manageable. We actually prefer that weekend to the 4th of July or Labor Day. The key is to travel down at an off time (like before Friday morning) and leave at an off time (like not early on a rainy morning or late on a Monday with great weather).

Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 15,336 times
born and raised in south jersey i'am only 10 minutes away from Ocean City. you can not compare 6 flags and O.C. they are like night and day. all tho O.C. can get very busy especially on a holiday you and your family won't regret your decision to come here. it is a family friendly resort. it's very safe. and it's a dry town so if the adults like a beer or a glass of wine at night you will have to stop at the circle liquor store in somers point. it's right before going into O.C. there is so much to do and great food to eat. Memorial day isn't so bad cause the kids are still in school so actually it's a great time to come here. but i will agree with what others say about 4th of July it is out of control but so much fun.. if you come in on wend. you will get right in with no traffic at all... here are a few places that are local traditions on the boardwalk : ) Mack & Manco pizza...JOHNSON'S POPCORN WORLD FAMOUS QUALITY CARAMEL CORN SINCE 1940...Shriver's Salt Water Taffy...and any homemade fudge or funnel cake store is awesome...i must say i could not recommend any other place to go not because i have lived here all my life but because it's just old fashion fun thats hard to come by these days. you and your family will have memories that will last a lifetime...

Last edited by crowncocktail; 05-15-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: added more

Old 05-15-2010, 03:39 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Hi, neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey