Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,549 times

Advertisements

Although it may seem to be as bad as Jersey City, it's not even close. Jersey City's stats are waaaaay higher than Bayonne's. Bayonne's are so low they are below the national average. Unfortunately you chose to move near a bar and drunken drama comes with that.

Latest 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:

Jersey City, NJ Bayonne, NJ National
Murder:9.2--- 1.7--- 7
Forcible Rape:25.02 ---6.66 ---32.2
Robbery:647.6 ---143.3 ---205.8
Aggravated Assault:523.4 ---169.9 ---336.5
Burglary:696.4 ---313.2 ---813.2
Larceny Theft:1845.3 ---954.5 ---2601.7
Vehicle Theft:623.5 ---164.9 ---501.5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Now let me get this straight. You moved near a bar, and then complain about the noise and occasional dustups? What's wrong with this picture?

The cops don't care? It's the other way around. I worked for the City for 32 years. I've ridden with them (to do the deposit drop-off from the Tax Collector's Office) and I heard the calls that came over the radio. I had a woman call me once and threaten suicide, and believe me, the cops that came to my desk to discuss that phone call were anything but uncaring.

As to the poster who said that it's a low class/middle class town -- there is plenty of money in town, and there were a large number of homes that went for over a million dollars when the market was better. But the people with money in Bayonne don't tend to flaunt it. They're quiet millionaires. Plenty of doctors and lawyers, as well as college professors, live in town.

Is Bayonne perfect? Hell, no -- but I defy you to find anywhere that is.

Public transportation? No, there's no ferry terminal (though one is planned for the Peninsula), but there are several bus lines in town, and the Light Rail is easily accessible. Is it easy to get in and out of? Not like landlocked towns in the state, but that's a function of geography -- it's surrounded on three sides by water. But you can be in NYC in 20 minutes by Turnpike, and a little longer by Light Rail (and not have to worry about parking).

Methinks the poster has an axe to grind with the cops or someone in the City administration and is using this forum to make the whole town look bad.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF100 View Post

There is a bar right near us that seems to be a huge part of the problem in our little area but just today around 6:30pm right on Broadway and 42nd
Wait a minute. You live near a bar in 42nd and Broadway, and you expect QUIET at night? Good luck with that. You're not going to find that anywhere.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I live on west 21st st and where I live is considered midtown. I can say that I haven't really ventured much around downtown at night so if that is where you live I cannot speak on that.

The OP lives uptown, about a mile north of you.

I can imagine it being a little crazy around a bar tho. I can say that I do remember one night when the police were flying around to somewhere, maybe it is the instance you were talking about. The reason the real estate prices are low have nothing to do with safety, it is because not that many people choose to live here.

Bayonne is kind of out of the way, although it has good transportation it isn't as easy to get around in as a lot of other cites/towns in NNJ.

Sure it is. My parents never owned a car, and they got around just fine. They walked, or they bussed it -- or they took a cab, if necessary. My mother was out and about every day, until the day she died at age 87 (and that day, she was getting ready for her weekly hair appointment). She lived on 2nd Street, hopped on the bus at 2nd and Ave c, and headed to Broadway. She had her regular stops -- Garden State News, McDonald's for a cup of coffee, the Post Office, then to City Hall to visit me. Than she grabbed the bus and went home again.

There isn't a direct train station or ferry to NYC

A lot of other towns don't have those, either. Take the Light Rail to Exchange Place, then the PATH to the WTC stop. Quick and easy. Add the 4 train, and you can be in Yankee Stadium in a little over an hour.

and people rarely drive through here because there isn't really a need to.

They take 440 to and from Staten Island. We lived just west of Avenue E, and we heard the traffic at all hours. It took a lot of traffic off Avenue E.

The younger single child free people choose to live somewhere with a good night life or easy 24hr transportation to NYC, while people with families tend to live in more "suburban" areas. Bayonne doesn't do either very well, it is just okay at both so it gets looked over. Most people I have talked to in Hudson county know nothing about Bayonne, most didn't even know how to get here.

That's the way most longtime residents like it.

Even people in JC don't know much about it and they are right next door.
Bayonne people want it to stay that way, too.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
There are a lot of bars here, but every time I look in them they are empty. I was in one one time on broadway during a yankee game and it still wasn't full.
Maybe the fans were home watching on their own TVs. That was my preference (actually, I preferred taking the radio out in the yard on nice days and listening there. It brought back memories of listening to the games with my father).

Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Been in Bayonne a few times in my life..is Uncle Milties still there..had fun there?
Long gone, now a municipal park. My father had a part-time job there in the 60s (he ran the boat ride, then the golf course), which meant I practically grew up there. I got my first job there, at Madge's (the food stand near the spook house). I have my second job there, too -- working for the park, first at the pony ride (which didn't last long, because the park's manager had a fight with the people who owned the ponies, and they pulled them out), and later running the golf course. I met my first boyfriend there, too, but that's a memory to be forgotten, not celebrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey