Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 AM

431 posts, read 942,542 times

Advertisements

http://www.nj.com/ledgerlive/index.s...tay_or_sh.html

In all the scenarios they didn't factor in homes are 50 % cheaper in FL and PA and affordable without living in the hood

Even rents are cheaper a decent apartment in North Houtson is 500 a month in NJ a decent apartment near jobs is 1200+ and thats without a washer/dryer

Last edited by liamnwk; 05-16-2010 at 05:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
ugh you should review your post:P

But I see you tried to set-up 3 links for case studies of people leaving NJ

Fact of the matter is everyone's situation is different so just putting up case studies on 3 people doesn't help very much.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
The guy lost all credibility when he mentioned that they third couple will be paying an "exit tax" if they leave the state (about 5 minutes into the video). The exit tax is a complete myth, and if this guy doesn't realize that, he's got no business acting as a "financial advisor" or whatever he calls himself.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The guy lost all credibility when he mentioned that they third couple will be paying an "exit tax" if they leave the state (about 5 minutes into the video). The exit tax is a complete myth, and if this guy doesn't realize that, he's got no business acting as a "financial advisor" or whatever he calls himself.
Ah agreed Before he had all html coding up there and couldn't see what he wanted to show and I didn't take time to decipher it much:P

Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 AM

132 posts, read 446,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Ah agreed Before he had all html coding up there and couldn't see what he wanted to show and I didn't take time to decipher it much:P
Can anyone say B.S? In all my life I have never heard of an exit tax from any state in this country.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
New Jersey: Should I Stay or Should I Go? | - NJ.com

In all the scenarios they didn't factor in homes are 50 % cheaper in FL and PA and affordable without living in the hood

Even rents are cheaper a decent apartment in North Houtson is 500 a month in NJ a decent apartment near jobs is 1200+ and thats without a washer/dryer
I didn't quite buy what he said about taxes. State income tax is lower in PA (NJ works out at about 4% aggregate rate if you're earning 100K, PA is a flat 3%). Those who work in NY also need to file NY state returns.

Housing is substantially cheaper -- prices (both sale and rental) look to be about 1/3 lower than NJ, and you can find a starter at a modest price without ending up on the Irvington/East Orange/Newark border. That couple in the 100k range simply have much more attractive housing options on their income than they do in NJ.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I didn't watch the videos but whether you stay or go should depend on where you will be happy living, not just on prices. Yes, Houston is dirt cheap (I spent 6 months there) and also fun depending on the area and there is no state income tax, but there are drawbacks as well. Salaries are lower, there are homeless people asking for money in front of every CVS and supermarket you will go to, it has much more non-English speaking people. Crime has risen a good deal since all the Katrina evacuees came and stayed. I like the weather better there and it hardly ever rains, but when it does the whole city floods (I was trapped in a Walgreen's parking lot for several hours trying to get to work one morning after a few hours of hard rain). It has great shopping, possibly the consignment store capital of the world, and tons of good restaurants. But I would have missed my family had I stayed, and overall like Jersey a lot better. My best friend moved to Florida and she likes it, but I feel the areas she's lived in boring (outside Orlando first, now Tampa) with nothing but strip malls and highways. I like an area where I can walk to things, and both Texas and Florida are not really designed for that (when I told the apartment locator in Houston I wanted to be in a walkable area, she said "No one walks in Houston"). So make a list of what you want, pros and cons, then decide, don't decide based only on cost of living.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I didn't quite buy what he said about taxes. State income tax is lower in PA (NJ works out at about 4% aggregate rate if you're earning 100K, PA is a flat 3%). Those who work in NY also need to file NY state returns.

Housing is substantially cheaper -- prices (both sale and rental) look to be about 1/3 lower than NJ, and you can find a starter at a modest price without ending up on the Irvington/East Orange/Newark border. That couple in the 100k range simply have much more attractive housing options on their income than they do in NJ.

Exactly my thoughts for the people that already live here if they sell their house here for 650k and buy the same house in PA or FL for 300k. They either pocket 350k or cut their mortgage in half. At what part does this knucklehead Roy factor that into the numbers?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I didn't watch the videos but whether you stay or go should depend on where you will be happy living, not just on prices. Yes, Houston is dirt cheap (I spent 6 months there) and also fun depending on the area and there is no state income tax, but there are drawbacks as well. Salaries are lower, there are homeless people asking for money in front of every CVS and supermarket you will go to, it has much more non-English speaking people. Crime has risen a good deal since all the Katrina evacuees came and stayed. I like the weather better there and it hardly ever rains, but when it does the whole city floods (I was trapped in a Walgreen's parking lot for several hours trying to get to work one morning after a few hours of hard rain). It has great shopping, possibly the consignment store capital of the world, and tons of good restaurants. But I would have missed my family had I stayed, and overall like Jersey a lot better. My best friend moved to Florida and she likes it, but I feel the areas she's lived in boring (outside Orlando first, now Tampa) with nothing but strip malls and highways. I like an area where I can walk to things, and both Texas and Florida are not really designed for that (when I told the apartment locator in Houston I wanted to be in a walkable area, she said "No one walks in Houston"). So make a list of what you want, pros and cons, then decide, don't decide based only on cost of living.

I earned 60/hr houston and in memorial park which connects to downtown everyone walks ? Or check out http://www.hermannpark.org/ or http://www.hermannpark.org/slideshow/slideshow2.html they have gandolas to rent... or check out williiams waterfall: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai= which is right behind galeria next to west heimer. Or check out main st in downtown houston for the clubs! http://boah.us/files/images/houston%20-%20main%20street.preview.JPG (broken link) with mass transit lines. Even in west heimer they have THE star bucks to go to as its open 24 x7 and has a nice large sitting area where people chill at all hours of the night and strangers just hang out/play chess etc http://home.flash.net/~ral1/starbucks/bigimages/DSCN4478.jpg

Or check out cafe europa on west heimer for a club/coffee house, there is nothing in NJ like it: http://www.29-95.com/restaurants/cafe-europe

Last edited by liamnwk; 05-16-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Quote:
I earned 60/hr houston and in memorial park which connects to downtown everyone walks ?
A bit incoherent. Earned 60 per hour? As in the past? Subcontractor. A bit thin on the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey